IGNORED

draft 7.30

YEK

Today was a good Draft 7.30 day.. Did they make other versions of this? Maybe AE's most underrated album. 

This was a very difficult album for me to like but after I started to love the boombap-vibes and the whole atmosphere I was hooked! 
However I think Tapr had made it much better as an open track and Xylin Room as track 2. This track is a killer! 

• Like 3

Nothing like a prohibition, whatsoever. Just certain sounds feel dated to an extent that they distract me and detract from my own enjoyment.

On 1/8/2022 at 12:32 PM, splesh said:

Great album which unfortunately suffers from a handful of times where there are sounds which feel like DSP bends/glitch sounds which are too of their time (Xylin Room has an instance of this with something that sounds like the kind of interference you used to get on some speakers/soundsystems if someone was calling your cellphone while you were listening that you'd hear before your ringtone). There's old sounding DSP which isn't detrimental (even some that works to positive effect like on Sudden Roundabout and Reniform Puls) too, but this slight issue at its worst moments unfortunately puts a bit of a dampening on the replay value for me.

VL AL 5 has some serious foreshadowing of Exai going on, but just more crammed together whoa.

Interesting. Draft is usually my favorite AE album, and I don't feel this way about it at all. I do have this exact complaint, however, about another one of my favorite albums from that era, Gridlock - Formless. I still love it in a way, but hard to not notice the dated sounds. Funny enough, I even compared it to Draft, saying Draft holds up better. Not sure what possessed me to write this tbh. 

• Like 5

On 3/15/2022 at 10:25 AM, cern said:

However I think Tapr had made it much better as an open track and Xylin Room as track 2

Interesting to read this as just the other day I was listening to Xylin Room and thinking what a quintessential "autechre opening track" it is lol. Not just because of the classic "very quiet sounds at the beginning that make you crank up your speaker just to get blasted with a sick beat" manoeuvre... I think it also has a certain "welcome to the album" characteristic that good openers have. Gradual buildup of elements, sick breakdown. Classic track :music:

• Like 4

• 6 months later...
On 3/16/2022 at 11:48 PM, toaoaoad said:

Interesting to read this as just the other day I was listening to Xylin Room and thinking what a quintessential "autechre opening track" it is lol. Not just because of the classic "very quiet sounds at the beginning that make you crank up your speaker just to get blasted with a sick beat" manoeuvre... I think it also has a certain "welcome to the album" characteristic that good openers have. Gradual buildup of elements, sick breakdown. Classic track :music:

Reading this message, I thought to myself yeah, M4 Lema has strong Xylin Room vibes. Both tracks sound very inviting to their own albums, it's amazing (and probably why I liked M4 Lema this much when I first listened to Sign)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, xox said:

Pure brilliance! Haven’t listened to it for a while

Do we know who made the track? s/r/ae?

ps the guy understood it pretty well imo

Link to the track?

5 hours ago, xox said:

Do we know who made the track? s/r/ae?

I think they're done telling us this stuff now. "Sometimes having half the info is worse than having none at all" or Sean said something to that effect. 

I do recall him saying it was two tracks stitched together tho. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2022 at 5:26 PM, eczem said:

Gridlock - Formless. I still love it in a way, but hard to not notice the dated sounds.

Gridlock - Further is the shit.  They'd refined a pretty unique sound on that one.  All noise beats.

• 6 months later...