IGNORED

draft 7.30

YEK

Hahaha those track titles are hilarious, I can't take most of those seriously (Kidney Bean).

kidney bean

ren·i·form

Adjective:

Kidney-shaped.

pulse (plural pulses)

• Any annual legume yielding from 1 to 12 grains or seeds of variable size, shape and colour within a pod, and used as food for humans or animals.

Edited by baph

• 3 months later...

What a fantastmical album. The run from Surripere to VL AL 5 is majestic and amazingly paced. All around fantastic album although Tapr frightens me a bit.

I still see some sort of war of the worlds esque walker thing when I look at the cover of the album:
war_of_the_worlds_by_hansanders-d9vr1l.j

Just listened to this album tonight. I've been going back through all their work since hearing about Exai and I saved Draft for next to last. Like others here, I really appreciate the album and most of the tracks, but it just doesn't excite me as an album. Every time I go back to it I get a little excited because the cover is awesome and it's autechre I haven't listened to recently, but I have the same reaction to it afterward every time as well.

And V-PROC is one of my favs here along with Xylin, 6IE and Surripere!

This album is the tits. Below Confield and LP5, but exceptional.

When I first had Autechre's discography given to me by a friend (about a year and a half before Untilted) he didn't give me Draft, and for several months I didn't know it existed. After getting into them enough to start reading up on them, I found out about Draft. I confronted my friend about trying to hide the release from me, turns out he hated the album so much he didn't want to give it to me for fear I would not listed to the rest of their music if I heard it.

It took me awhile to get into it when I got it, but my friend hates everything from Draft on to this day. Kind of disappointed in his refusal to give them the time they diserve

Edited by fizzkinz

The sequence of these three albums is astonishing. 2001-2005 Autechres most exciting and interesting period.

bollocks. it's '95-'01, in fact. and then from 01 on was a whole 'nother kettle of fish fingers.

just kidding. but yeah but no but it is a fact of science.

ugh i want the cassette so bad :/

and i know nothing about code so it's basically gibberish to me. someone on watmm has to have a decent idea of what that liner means. i assume it's part of coding for a track on the album, or perhaps for the artwork? i think the swirly shapes were something AE came up with.

I don't think a huge amount, there were quite a few sold on Warpmart for a few months. Not sure how many they put out in all though!

Bought it when it came out. took me a while to get into it. Got really into it in 2007. when Quaristice came out I wished I could hear other "drafts" rather than other quaristices

Edited by colunga

and i know nothing about code so it's basically gibberish to me. someone on watmm has to have a decent idea of what that liner means. i assume it's part of coding for a track on the album, or perhaps for the artwork? i think the swirly shapes were something AE came up with.

It kind of looks like Rube-Goldberg code (i.e. a convoluted way of doing nothing) in what looks like Pascal - A whole bunch of 'for'/wait loops with no actually functional part of the code, so it's either a timing section from a larger piece of code or (more likely) a bit of geeky humour by the boys about the process of the audience listening to the album (eg. Repeat Listendraft; until time = 1894 for tracknum = 1 to 12 )

Confield and Draft especially seemed to have more traditional synthesised/source sounds totally morphed/melted until tracks were more musical 'bio-mechanical' organisms. What alien sound design! Apart from V-Pro (with its very recognisable beat sounds), even the percussion kicks and squelches from another living world. From Untilted onwards the sound design seemed far less non-referential and more overtly 'synthy', with Quaristice and then Oversteps being the clearest expression of this. I love those three, but I also miss the days of inhabiting alternate wooden universes as supplied on Draft.

Edited by Lianne

i think the swirly shapes were something AE came up with.

Nope. Alex Rutterford, buddy!

oh! i was thinking it was like a Rutterford designed album, but AE provided those swirly bits themselves. information spontaneously creates itself in my mind sometimes.

I have the cassette ... I wonder what I could get for it?

$5 bid from me!

It kind of looks like Rube-Goldberg code (i.e. a convoluted way of doing nothing) in what looks like Pascal - A whole bunch of 'for'/wait loops with no actually functional part of the code, so it's either a timing section from a larger piece of code or (more likely) a bit of geeky humour by the boys about the process of the audience listening to the album (eg. Repeat Listendraft; until time = 1894 for tracknum = 1 to 12 )

that'd be funny if it were a nice little joke they did. i assumed with all the for/wait/if things it could be actual code for a track; i've personally used the dumbed down version of things like that in Ableton Live, to help create seemingly random/constantly changing patterns within particular rules. and that is something i could imagine they'd used on this album, if not others. just guesswork here though, i definitely know nothing about real code.

Confield and Draft especially seemed to have more traditional synthesised/source sounds totally morphed/melted until tracks were more musical 'bio-mechanical' organisms. What alien sound design! Apart from V-Pro (with its very recognisable beat sounds), even the percussion kicks and squelches from another living world. From Untilted onwards the sound design seemed far less non-referential and more overtly 'synthy', with Quaristice and then Oversteps being the clearest expression of this. I love those three, but I also miss the days of inhabiting alternate wooden universes as supplied on Draft.

well-said!