IGNORED

Plaid - Scintilli, 1 year on...

Guest sirch

yeah, right on. i also think/agree it s a very dynamic album. very pleasant indeed.

btw: is it in the notion of being a cunt person/reviewer to rate the first albums of any known good artist/band high and then rate whatever they produce later, be it richer or better, whatever,, lower??? i mean it really pisses me off that most of my fav artists are rated/treated like that on these sites, allmusic and such! i think the reviewers there are just losers who think doing so is cooler and safer... they give NFT a 4, double figure also a 4, to Greedy Baby a lousy 2,5, i mean are they joking? if NFT is 4, DF must be 5 and GB also 4, at least.... grrr.

if NFT is 4, let me rate the others, RPC: 4, DF: 5, Spokes: 4,5, GB: a f'in 5!!! yes it has less tracks than an average album holds but what it carries is pure gold!, Scintilli: a 5 again. even 5.5....

This thread made me look this up on Spotify, and I'm on track 3 right now. I like this album so far.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit by posting before listening to the album in full, but I think it's convinced me enough to buy the album and sync it to my iPod.

yeah, right on. i also think/agree it s a very dynamic album. very pleasant indeed.

btw: is it in the notion of being a cunt person/reviewer to rate the first albums of any known good artist/band high and then rate whatever they produce later, be it richer or better, whatever,, lower??? i mean it really pisses me off that most of my fav artists are rated/treated like that on these sites, allmusic and such! i think the reviewers there are just losers who think doing so is cooler and safer... they give NFT a 4, double figure also a 4, to Greedy Baby a lousy 2,5, i mean are they joking? if NFT is 4, DF must be 5 and GB also 4, at least.... grrr.

if NFT is 4, let me rate the others, RPC: 4, DF: 5, Spokes: 4,5, GB: a f'in 5!!! yes it has less tracks than an album would hold but what it carries is pure gold!, Scintilli: a 5 again. even 5.5....

It seemed that Scintilli didn't get great reviews and I'm not sure how long most writer's spend listening to the music they're given but when I first got Scintilli, which was straight away pretty much, I thought it was weak as ****. Only clicked with me fairly recently, and I think it contains some of their most forward-thinking, detailed and beautiful music although it does start to sag towards the end slightly for me.

imo this sort of music gets this treatment because it's not following in the footsteps of other "groundbreaking" electronic and dance music, and they don't necessarily fit into a "scene" anymore, and music journalism needs context. People still see this music as "IDM" which is often ridiculed by the music press, but it's quite shallow way of looking at these types of musicians.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found it to be the only Plaid album I've sat through and enjoyed the whole way through. The others are good, but I can't listen to them all at once.

I've found it to be the only Plaid album I've sat through and enjoyed the whole way through. The others are good, but I can't listen to them all at once.

you didn't enjoy double figure? that album, even the short tak bits, is golden

i'm not a huge plaid fan myself, but i found scintilli to be quite good. had my reservations at first but was super pleasantly surprised.

still don't care that much for the vocal tracks, but the last track ('at last'?) is kickass.

Spokes and Scintilli go hand in hand.

I wish they'd have released an EP before, or shortly after, the album came out, though, aswell.

there are loads of tracks that weren't included on Scintilli that, imho, should have been. :)

This is an album you can listen to all the way through, a rare enough thing, especially where electronica are concerned.

Album seems very detailed and musical to me.

The ones I keep returning to: At Last, 35 summers, missing, unbank

the At Last vid is nice too. Plaid restore order to the world with their musical fire engine thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EDqTWrbqyU

• 4 weeks later...

I don't love all of it, though there's nothing I'd class as below good. However the highlights are outstanding (especially At Last). I've played it consistently over the last 12 months and I've not heard much over this period that can compete. I'd put it about half way if placing the Plaid albums in my order of preference.

One big question now. I don't suppose there's a chance of a new album?

Following on from a few others who've rated the lot I'd go as follows:-

NFT - 4

RPC - 3.5

DF - 4.5/5

Spokes - 5

GB - 5 (this is my current favourite, incredible piece of work)

Scintilli - 4

I don't love all of it, though there's nothing I'd class as below good. However the highlights are outstanding (especially At Last). I've played it consistently over the last 12 months and I've not heard much over this period that can compete. I'd put it about half way if placing the Plaid albums in my order of preference.

One big question now. I don't suppose there's a chance of a new album?

I reckon possibly another soundtrack and (definitely) more collabs will come first before any other new album/ep for Warp.

they don't seem to be into doing traditional albums anymore, and you can understand why, they are pretty pointless nowadays.

they seem to be much more into (writing stuff for) live shows and collaborations these days...

i'd love a new album/ep, though, as much as the next Plaid fan. :)

I think it could possibly be my favourite album of theirs. It didn't really do too much for me on the first listen but it's really grown on me. Lovely bunch of tracks that work really well together as an album.

• 7 months later...
Guest Chesney

It's a great album but spokes is still my go to album. I had an EP mastered by the same dude that did scintilli. Sat in the mastering room fanning out that ed and andy may have sat where I was only two weeks earlier.

I think it's a great album and I really liked it straight away. Some songs better than others as with every album by any band, but wow I was impressed and liked it better than Spokes on first listen. Still do, Spokes was weird to me, I don't hate it but I could never really wrap my head around it.

Archived