IGNORED

posh beers and ales and stuff thread

kaini

mmm good choices spi, I've not had the beaverton or the crate beers though. The rest are delish. 

I'm sure the top left one is Mikkeller but I can't remember which one it was. =/  Beer geek breakfast stout maybe?

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

It's the Mikkeller Belgian Pale Ale and omg is it DANK

Mikkeller_Arh_Hvad_Belgian_Pale_Ale_500M

Beerwolf, that selection was 50/50 Kriswines and M&S. I was pretty surprised to find out M&S have a decent selection of craft beers now, but they do.

huh! I actually haven't had that one. Going to seek it out.

Mikkeller is one of my favorite breweries. Never disappointed, never ever ever.

You guys know of any good session IPAs? I love drinking IPAs but the alcohol content usually makes me feel pretty tired. 

This is my go-to ISA. Might be hard to get where you are though, or impossible (not sure where they ship). 

Very bright, floral, but only 5%. Not bitter on the palate at all (something I prefer).  

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2675/89626/

89626.jpg

You guys know of any good session IPAs? I love drinking IPAs but the alcohol content usually makes me feel pretty tired. 

This is my go-to ISA. Might be hard to get where you are though, or impossible (not sure where they ship). 

Very bright, floral, but only 5%. Not bitter on the palate at all (something I prefer).  

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2675/89626/

89626.jpg

Hmm, I'm in California and have access to a lot of different beers but I've never seen this one or heard of Philips brewery. Probably only a Canadian thing? 

Could be, yes. It's brewed in British Columbia/BC. 

I've been able to get it all over western Canada, thought maybe it might go down the coast a bit. Maybe not a big enough brewery yet =(

wonder what would happen if I shipped you one? lol

What do you beer aficionados think of the beer advocate website? Some of it seems a bit out of date (like the last review was 5 years ago), sometime it seems quite relevant. I generally seem to agree with their ratings out of 100 for a beer.

I also like laughing at some of the preposterously pretentious nature of the reviews, these are some of the most ridiculous and hilarious I have discovered

Exmoor Beast

Filtered, coming in a 500ml clear bottle with a new beer label with a roaring beasty creature in a dark wilderness. BB 09 APR 07, served cool in a straight imperial pint glass.

A: very dark russet to mahogany in colour, with good clarity; a tan beer head slowly grows to a 1cm thick cap, pretty creamy, against constantly gentle carbonation. Decent.
S: a profoundly aromatic chocolatey (medium-sweet dark chocolates) aroma along with a chewy note of crystal malts and roasted walnuts upfront, followed closely by traces of treacles or burned edges of caramel, and a semi-sticky hint of preserved dates and/or dark plums. Typically aromatic Porter-ish and robust.
T: softly-carbonated in texture--a mouthful of delicious, chewy dark malts hand in hand with a semi-sweet roast nutty and a much milder (than aroma) dark-chocolatey taste... quietly taken over by a lighter, winey+fruity texture, remotely reminiscent of madeira wine, crushed raisins, ripe black cherries, and red grapes; mildly dryish, tea-leafy/herbal hops join the chorus from behind, and help arrive at a refreshing and light, bitter-sweet finish, not heavy, sugary, nor alcoholic in any sense.
M&D: the body is much lighter than its 6.6%abv. tends to suggest, but still retains a robust status, while the texture remains softly effervescent and semi-refreshing to balance with the rich flavour. The flavour profile is roughly balanced, with the slowly developing bitter edge and the sour-fruitiness at the tail catching up with the sweet malty fore-taste. All in all, this is a quite delicious, malty as well as fruity porter easy to quaff, although I'd certainly love to see it being packaged in a non-clear bottle and, preferably, bottle-conditioned~~

here's another classic, this ones for Hook Nortons Haymaker

500ml bottle. It's so cute how British brewers call anything with 5% ABV 'strong'.

This beer pours a crystal clear medium bronzed amber hue, with two fingers of puffy, foamy dirty white head, which leaves a few instances of random wave crest lace around the glass as it evenly wisps away.

It smells of sweet, grainy caramel malt, a bit of herbal tea herbal notes, and some musty, dusty leafy hops. The taste is more sweet, kind of biscuity, grainy malt, with a touch of caramel/toffee essence, ethereally muddled citrus, stoney orchard drupe fruit, mild mustiness, and herbal, leafy hops.

The bubbles are well restrained, though hardly oppressed, the body a wavering medium weight, with a rather agreeable, generally untainted smoothness. It finishes well off-dry, the grainy, bready malt, and lingering inward-looking fruitiness carrying through to the end, with a slightly floral, slightly warm offset the only other loitering agent in the mix.

A standard, and equitably engaging pale ale, of the English persuasion, with a varied fruit and hop melange, that renders this a somewhat surprising candidate for another round or two, wherein my picky nature gets overridden by the generally placid drinkability of this pub-friendly offering.

and another for Haymaker...

500ml brown bottle purchased for me by the in-laws for Christmas.

Pours a pale, relatively clear golden-orange colour, with a fine, but inconsistent head of pure white. Some speckled lacing. Very fine and prolific carbonation, that swirls powdery and anarchic when tilted. Looks pretty decent.

Nose is rather sweet and sweaty, with some tea-like overtones from the weak hops. There's a herbal sweetness to it, and a slightly funky fragrance. Something buttery and sickly, like lemon curd icing. It's hard to put it all together into something coherent, and the beer fails a little in this way. I'm not overly enthusiastic.

Taste is light and empty, with a slight bite of earthy hops on the back, and a light herbal astringency. Sweet malt comes through pretty weakly, but it lends a slightly sickly tone to the beer. Fortunately, the lightness means that it never gets too offensive, but it's a close thing.

Feel is smooth and light, fitting and pleasant enough.

Overall, I'm not really that impressed. It's OK, but not really any better than that—the sweetness is only tempered by the fact that it's actually quite flavourless. Neither of those descriptions is a sign of a great beer.

Guaranteed these three were tucked up in their bed after the second bottle  :dry: 

Edited by beerwolf