IGNORED

posh beers and ales and stuff thread

kaini

Same here! At the moment just into quality lager, pilsners and pale ales. Nothing under the radar.

Tribute served real cold in a lager glass is great, Camden Hells/Pale, Pilsner Urquell, Wainwright Golden Ale. I would also recommend served cold from the freezer into a lager glass Sharps Atlantic Pale, man this beer is awesome, I was a bit sceptical about it when I bought it but its a great beer, I've even turned a few mates onto it and they love it. It tastes better the colder it gets imo, don't serve cool but cold. Always have time for a wheat beer. Never understood the worship of those IPA's, maybe had a few good ones' like Oakham Citra IPA but most of them are foul in my humble opinion. I think it's the mosaic hop which I struggle with, it's a cool name for a hop though.

• Like 2

One of my friends from work, his dad is starting a brewery in his retirement.  He started off brewing lagers, which he tells me are more difficult to brew because they take longer than most beers to brew and it's also hard to mask any unintended off flavors.

I asked him why there are so many craft IPAs out there right now.  He said that it's because they're quicker to brew and also the hoppy, bitter flavors often mask any off flavors that may have shown up during the brewing process. :cisfor:

Edited by randomsummer

I have home brewed a few IPAs and I can tell you that is true. It’s a lot easier to replicate hyped DIPA#653367886 than you may think. I made a couple good wheat beers too, though. 

5 hours ago, randomsummer said:

One of my friends from work, his dad is starting a brewery in his retirement.  He started off brewing lagers, which he tells me are more difficult to brew because they take longer than most beers to brew and it's also hard to mask any unintended off flavors.

I asked him why there are so many craft IPAs out there right now.  He said that it's because they're quicker to brew and also the hoppy, bitter flavors often mask any off flavors that may have shown up during the brewing process. :cisfor:

Yup. Was a member of a brewing society for a while and all of the members looked down on IPA’s for exactly this reason.

Another reason I myself don’t like them (other than that too much bitter makes something taste disgusting) is that they’re essentially just sugared soda with alcohol. The hops mask the fact that they are often ridiculously sweet.

(which in itself is another sign it’s not brewed properly) 

• Like 1

Well, double (or imperial) IPAs, are a little too popular for their own good and an example of what can be so wrong about hoppy beer. I’ve had good ones, but I guess I’m a bit over it. 

There are tons of truly excellent, well balanced IPAs in the 6 to 7% abv range. 

56 minutes ago, darreichungsform said:

Indian Pale Ale tastes like power, tastes like the tears of the colonised. It obviously tastes very soapy but that's not the point.

Don’t talk about things you know nothing about, you inhabitant of a nation that at the height of its power had colonized no more than a handful of rocks in the Pacific, some barely habitable slivers of the coast of Africa and the swampiest and most unpleasant bits of the island of New Guinea.

IPA is bitter to make the quinine colonial administrators had to drink to ward off malaria seem sweet in comparison.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, rhmilo said:
1 hour ago, darreichungsform said:

Indian Pale Ale tastes like power, tastes like the tears of the colonised. It obviously tastes very soapy but that's not the point.

Don’t talk about things you know nothing about, you inhabitant of a nation that at the height of its power had colonized no more than a handful of rocks in the Pacific, some barely habitable slivers of the coast of Africa and the swampiest and most unpleasant bits of the island of New Guinea.

IPA is bitter to make the quinine colonial administrators had to drink to ward off malaria seem sweet in comparison.

Please. My glorious nation has committed the first genocide of the 20th century against the Herero and Nama in Namibia under Emperor Wilhelm II, whose descendants, the former royal family of Prussia, are currently demanding compensation in the millions of Euros for "their" castles and museum inventory, after having helped Hitler to get into power.

Best beer:

Biere_Glaeser_201820.png?width=430&name=bottle-1.png

zwickl_05.pngedelhell_2flaschen_glas.png?width=430&na

Edited by darreichungsform

59 minutes ago, darreichungsform said:

My glorious nation has committed the first genocide of the 20th century against the Herero and Nama in Namibia under Emperor Wilhelm II

True. You came in late, didn’t last long, but definitely made an impact

... in what was easily the most unfashionable slice of African coast.

1 hour ago, darreichungsform said:

the former royal family of Prussia, are currently demanding compensation in the millions of Euros for "their" castles and museum inventory, after having helped Hitler to get into power.

That was a really interesting read, thanks!

If you haven’t read it, this guy’s book on the start of WWI is interesting as well, with some amusing bits thrown in, such as how the government of Serbia, a nation with barely 35% literacy, when confronted with the question whether to tax home alcohol production or school books opted for the latter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rhmilo said:

If you haven’t read it, this guy’s book on the start of WWI is interesting as well, with some amusing bits thrown in, such as how the government of Serbia, a nation with barely 35% literacy, when confronted with the question whether to tax home alcohol production or school books opted for the latter.

You mean "The Sleepwalkers"? I started reading this not long ago ?

Edited by darreichungsform
  • Like 1

I hate to admit it but a few Coors Light out of the freezer on a hot day isn't such a bad thing ?

Though once the thirst is quenched I need something with a bit more grit.

Edited by beer badger

In China the regular beer is not only low quality, but low alcohol as well, around 2% or so.

Very good at the end of one of those damp 36 degrees Chinese summer days.

From a local brewery, Peach Drips Creamsicle IPA.  Hazy IPA with peach puree, lactose, and vanilla.  Pretty good, kinda strange to taste the hops and vanilla but I think it works well.

IMAG3987.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 3:19 AM, Stickfigger said:

Been drinking an american brown ale i made but its slightly too bitter for the style. Have a Mosaic Pale ale being kegged next week ?

How long have you been brewing your own beer?

• 4 weeks later...

Flying Monkeys Invictus 2016 Imperial Stout, 18.5%, 0.475l

I guess this the strongest beer I've tasted that is still drinkable. It's pretty good but maybe a bit too wine-like.

32869-B.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1