IGNORED

posh beers and ales and stuff thread

kaini

ooh that Twaites IPA sounds good, not seen that before. Do any of the supermarkets have it?

i can get it in my local offie here in ireland, so i don't doubt you can get it there. thwaites' stuff is pretty widespread

ooh that Twaites IPA sounds good, not seen that before. Do any of the supermarkets have it?

i can get it in my local offie here in ireland, so i don't doubt you can get it there. thwaites' stuff is pretty widespread

indeed just haven't spotted the IPA before. Sounds good!

absolutely delicious

also one of these, which i'm saving for later. i suspect it will leave me the worse for wear.

imperial-russian-stout-label.jpg

In the name of God I want to taste this!!!

yfH2G.jpg

if you can get this stuff, get this stuff.

Had a few of these yesterday while brewing up an IPA, very delicious. It actually just won a bronze medal at GABF over the weekend. It's from Free State Brewery, based in my home town, Lawrence, KS and was the first legal post-prohibition brewery in the state.

ironman.jpg

Edited by hautlle

someone here posted the Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout a while back...

that shit has to be the best beer ive had in years...its automatically up there in my top 3 all-timers. good god that is delicious.

Guest uptown devil

sounds awesome, southern tier does dark beer right. I'll keep an eye for that one when I visit NY for thanksgiving.

creme brulee is kind of tough for me to drink after the first glass. i'm even ok with a half glass of that stuff, it just starts to be too much with that stuff...

southern tier makes some of the best beers evar though, i even know a guy who knows a guy who is a high-up in the company, so you might say i'm "in the know"

it's dem esters, innit

I think I prefer Hefeweizens with a more phenolic/clovey character. Had a hefe a few years back that was so overpowering on the banana that I've kind of been turned off on the style since. I can't remember which brewery it was from, so they're all kind of suspect until I build up sufficient courage.

Edited by baph

it's dem esters, innit

I think I prefer Hefeweizens with a more phenolic/clovey character. Had a hefe a few years back that was so overpowering on the banana that I've kind of been turned off on the style since. I can't remember which brewery it was from, so they're all kind of suspect until I build up sufficient courage.

Yeah, esters thrown off by the yeast create the banana/clove character. You can actually control the flavors via fermentation temperature. The particular strain of yeast I use for my hefeweizens puts off more clove at lower temperatures and more banana at higher temps. My gf loves the banana flavors so I don't even bother trying to control the fermentation temperature. I actually do a hefeweizen spiced w/ corriander, orange peel, and thyme that has had good reviews from my homebrew club. I'll probably submit it to a competition eventually, just have to time it properly so I can send it off as fresh as possible.