IGNORED

Cerebral Palsy - World Cerebral Palsy Challenge

Hugh Mughnus

WATMMers,

I am currently partaking in the "World Cerebral Palsy Challenge". It is a fundraiser designed to raise money for those individuals affected by cerebral palsy, and their families or caregivers.

I am taking steps in place of those that can't walk on their own because they are physically challenged by cerebral palsy. I have already walked 114033 steps, or approximately 56km, over the last 8 days, and I commit to walking and running another 200km over the next 3 weeks.

Please support me as I continue in this endeavour, and donate if you can. $1, $5, or $100 can go towards making life easier for those with cerebral palsy. Funds donated go directly to the United Cerebral Palsy association and are spent on research, equipment, medicine, and any other expenditure related to the affliction.

You can donate or become a fundraiser by following the link below. Just type in my full name "Stephen Gautreau" as the team member you'd like to donate to. More cerebral palsy information in the 2nd link.

https://donate.ca.wo...pchallenge.org/

http://www.ucp.org/

Cheers,

Thanks for your time.

Stephen

Thanks guys!

I've walked another 26,636 steps today, bringing my total to 140,669 steps, approximately 69 ;) kilometers!

If you can find it in you to donate $5 to my cause, it would help a child or family get the necessary treatment or equipment they need!

Cheers guys

Guys,

I've walked abother 23603 steps today, another 10 kms today. That brings my total to 164,272 steps or around 80kms! Another 150kms to go to reach my goal.

What is cerebral palsy anyways? Many people don't know.

Cerebral palsy is actually an umbrella term used to describe many ailments such as paralysis, athetosis, spasticity, and tremors. It is often debilitating and affects 1/3 infants born premature or with low body weight.

What if you donate? Where does the money go?

The money goes directly towards the United Cerebral Palsy organization: this is a worldwide organization, your money does not help my local chapter specifically.

Please take a moment and consider donating a small portion of money to this cause.

Cheers

Alright WATMM,

Just a quick update!

I've now walked, jogged, and rowed (rowing machine) over 156km in the previous two weeks in place of those unable to due to cerebral palsy. I'm now committing to surpassing my original goal of 250km in 4 weeks, my new goal is 300km in 4 weeks total time (2 weeks already elapsed)!

So far, 2 people from WATMM have donated a total of $50, thanks very much guys! :emotawesomepm9:

Please, if you can, take 2 minutes and donate $5 towards my campaign to the World Cerebral Palsy association. All donations add up, and the Cerebral Palsy Association does not have high "administrative costs" like other charities - you can be sure your money is making it to the families in need in one form or another.

Cheers,

SG

Alright WATMM,

Just a quick update!

For all those people that can't walk, I'm bragging about how much I can walk JUST FOR YOU! :emotawesomepm9:

Yeah, I guess it's the same thing as that silly "Run for the Cure" that they do across the world. Silly people, fundraising for people in need. What are they thinking?

It is often debilitating and affects 1/3 children.

nice work stephen. but this sentence confuses me.

Thanks!

Cerebral Palsy is an umbrella term that covers many conditions. What I meant there is that 1 in 3 children born premature or with low body weight is affected by cerebral palsy in some way. Sometimes it is something as small as a twitch which never goes away and is largely unnoticeable, but quite often it is debillitating: it can affect motor skills, reflexes, cause speech impairments, sever sleep or pain disorders, etc, that last a lifetime.

Out of ALL newborns (not just premies and low weight infants), I believe the number afflicted is much lower, somewhere around 1/200 healthy births are affected.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake. =)

Cheers

The fundraiser is drawing to a close (ends Sunday). I just want to thank those of you that took a moment to donate, and for those that didn't, I still thank you for taking a moment to pop in to see what was up.

Kind WATMMers donated $85 in total!

I will post the final numbers Sunday.

Cheers guys. :biggrin::beer:

Archived