IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Looks like I "beat" Risk of Rain 2. Reached max difficulty and the amount of enemies, both large and small, was so overwhelming to the point of comical absurdity. But somehow I managed to plow through.

But given it's early access I'm sure loads of more content is in the pipeline. In the meantime, I still have the other three player characters to unlock.

Finally started playing Wolfenstien: The New Order, and realised why I’ve had a hard time starting this game previously - because the game just kinda throws you in, without much to go on, and with a load of storyline already previously set by…by a game (Wolfenstein 2009) that is no longer purchasable for the PC.

Looks like I’ll have to pirate it then…

pro gamer tip for Wolfenstein: New Order.

game is hard as shit and i had a lot more fun turning difficulty down to easiest. made it much easier to run around and mow down nazis and enjoy the story. was dying WAY too much otherwise,... personally !!!

Started Red Dead II finally. I feel like I'm supposed to know these people, but I don't besides Marsten.

Don't worry about that. Just interact with them whenever you get back to camp.

Finally started playing Wolfenstien: The New Order, and realised why I’ve had a hard time starting this game previously - because the game just kinda throws you in, without much to go on, and with a load of storyline already previously set by…by a game (Wolfenstein 2009) that is no longer purchasable for the PC.

TBH I liked it better than the sequel The New Colossus. Maybe it's because it felt more polished and coherent story-wise. Also Viktor Antonov (who played a key role in HL2's development) was involved in the work on The New Order as well, if I'm not mistaken.

Never played the 2009 one though.

TBH I liked it better than the sequel The New Colossus. Maybe it's because it felt more polished and coherent story-wise. Also Viktor Antonov (who played a key role in HL2's development) was involved in the work on The New Order as well, if I'm not mistaken.

Never played the 2009 one though.

I fucking love Viktor's work on Half-Life 2! Seeing some of the brutalist structures in The New Order, it kinda makes sense that he's involved.

Storywise though, it really is jarring to start the game without any knowledge about what's gone on in Wolfenstein Two Zouzand Und Nein. I didn't realise that when I bought it ages ago. I've gotten into the game now though.

Gotta say, yet again, Mick Gordon is fucking RULING games soundtracks. Really looking forward to his soundtracks for DOOM Eternal, and (if it ever comes out) Routine.

So... back to Sekiro after a busy week.

Got past giant snek, now faced with shouting boi on hoarse. Got rekt.

HIS NAME IS GYOUBU MASATAKA ONIWA!!!!

good fight tbqh

I'll buy that Sega.

already pre-ordered.

this thing can't come out quick enough. sometimes i wish i had the patience to put a raspberry pi into a megapi case

But, it's just two pieces of plastic, and then you put the raspberry pi in between the two pieces of plastic…

rasberry pi seems good but it still seems like an imperfect way of emulating games, and i always have an imperfect way of emulating games via pc. 

one of the reasons the NES and SNES classic mini things were cool is, they had a usb slot on the back and it was very easy to load your own files onto it. complete with a developer message in a text file ...

"This is the hanafuda captain speaking. Launching emulation in 3...2...1. Many efforts, tears and countless hours have been put into this jewel. So, please keep this place tidied up and don't break everything! Cheers, the hanafuda captain."

lol. which then displays the new games in the UI interface complete with box art and everything. if the mini sega has a usb slot and can do custom games just as easily, then it'd probably be fun and would sit nicely along the other mini consoles. 

the Analog nt stuff always looks good but is generally pretty expensive. but that + and a flash cart would be pretty damn near perfect i reckon, in terms of emulating the original hardware perfectly and without hitches. https://www.analogue.co/mega-sg/

Why do you think Raspberry Pi is an imperfect way of emulating games? Why is a PC an imperfect way also?

How are these 'official' re-releases (some of which have been found to be using open source emulators that run on Raspberry Pi / PC anyway) more perfect? 

Why do you think Raspberry Pi is an imperfect way of emulating games? Why is a PC an imperfect way also?

How are these 'official' re-releases (some of which have been found to be using open source emulators that run on Raspberry Pi / PC anyway) more perfect? 

Because emulating something like a N64 or original XBOX (geez I need to play Jet Set Radio Future) is hard to do properly. The open source emu releases aren't more perfect, they're the same or worse than current emus due to older builds and whatnot. The small SNES doesn't even come with Chrono Trigger, lol

The thing about FPGAs/Mister is that instead of a computer program emulating the hardware (like you would with Snes9x or Dolphin or whatever else) it is actual hardware emulating the desired hardware. So if you compare Retropie games with games running on a Mister you'll notice that the Mister produces a LOT sharper images and the sound is also way more crisp - just like you remember it from the 80s/90s.

Also, people are using FPGAs to emulate old synths now. It's pretty amazing actually.

the imperfections i'm referring to is largely, to do with the old systems being made with analog connections in mind. 

- games were made with no input lag specifically. and pc + rasberry pi + the classic mini systems, will all introduce lag to the equation simply by being digital signals. (this has always been real noticeable for me but this might just be personal experience with the digiTVs im using)

- also, CRT pixels ain't square 1:1 -> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4d/Pixel_geometry_01_Pengo.jpg

thing about that is, a perfectly rendered original SNES output image is actually 1:1 square instead of 4:3, but when displayed on a CRT tv, it renders the image at a 4:3 aspect ratio.

so rendering SNES output digitally, means the emulator needs to stretch the imagine to make it match what it looked like on an original CRT (how the games were intended to be viewed).  

depending on the quality of the emulation, and the resolution of the image output, this stretch can result in shimmering screen tearing effects especially during scrolling. 

this kinda stuff is what i'm referring to when it comes to imperfections. even the Snes mini and NES mini classic emulator boxes aren't perfect. i just think they do a good job at doing what they do + you can pretty easily insert new games into them via USB + they are available to buy at your local shops and have a good amount of 'no hassle' involved. 

i reckon you can have more faith in PC emulation being more up to date than what you'd get out of a rasberry pi. ... but depending on your needs, ofc, a rasberry pi might be totally fine too. 

Edited by bitchroast

But, it's just two pieces of plastic, and then you put the raspberry pi in between the two pieces of plastic…

are you sure that's all? nothing more to do?

also, there's something about getting official product (even the playstation classic)

bought sekiro and holy shit the 2nd time you meet the tutorial boss is just ridiculous. I was so happy to have beat his 2nd health bar and he just turns into enel and zaps my ass. what the fuck? that's where progression stops, right? 

The thing about FPGAs/Mister is that instead of a computer program emulating the hardware (like you would with Snes9x or Dolphin or whatever else) it is actual hardware emulating the desired hardware. So if you compare Retropie games with games running on a Mister you'll notice that the Mister produces a LOT sharper images and the sound is also way more crisp - just like you remember it from the 80s/90s.

Also, people are using FPGAs to emulate old synths now. It's pretty amazing actually.

I'm gonna admit that it's been a while since I played around with any console emulators, but I have experience with Amiga emulation. WinUAE is just as sharp looking as the real Amiga 1200 I have here in my room. I'll also concede I've not played too much around with the sound on both yet.

the imperfections i'm referring to is largely, to do with the old systems being made with analog connections in mind. 

- games were made with no input lag specifically. and pc + rasberry pi + the classic mini systems, will all introduce lag to the equation simply by being digital signals. (this has always been real noticeable for me but this might just be personal experience with the digiTVs im using)

- also, CRT pixels ain't square 1:1 -> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4d/Pixel_geometry_01_Pengo.jpg

thing about that is, a perfectly rendered original SNES output image is actually 1:1 square instead of 4:3, but when displayed on a CRT tv, it renders the image at a 4:3 aspect ratio.

so rendering SNES output digitally, means the emulator needs to stretch the imagine to make it match what it looked like on an original CRT (how the games were intended to be viewed).  

depending on the quality of the emulation, and the resolution of the image output, this stretch can result in shimmering screen tearing effects especially during scrolling. 

this kinda stuff is what i'm referring to when it comes to imperfections. even the Snes mini and NES mini classic emulator boxes aren't perfect. i just think they do a good job at doing what they do + you can pretty easily insert new games into them via USB + they are available to buy at your local shops and have a good amount of 'no hassle' involved. 

i reckon you can have more faith in PC emulation being more up to date than what you'd get out of a rasberry pi. ... but depending on your needs, ofc, a rasberry pi might be totally fine too. 

The input lag you're referring to is absolutely to do with the LCD TVs you're using. If you were running a CRT display, the lag would disappear. So the problem isn't with the Raspberry Pi / PC / classic mini system, it's with the medium you're using to display the games on.

Even now, I still miss gaming on a CRT. Although my brothers 180Hz LCD is fucking tasty. But it's been well over a decade since I used a CRT for gaming, so I have no idea if the new high refresh rate CRTs are comparable. I've a feeling they're not, because despite the higher refresh rate, there's still the other electronics in an LCD that can cause perceptible lag.

are you sure that's all? nothing more to do?

also, there's something about getting official product (even the playstation classic)

Nope, there's literally nothing more to it. You put the Raspberry Pi in the case, and then that's it. Raspberry Pi cases are not complex things!

bought sekiro and holy shit the 2nd time you meet the tutorial boss is just ridiculous. I was so happy to have beat his 2nd health bar and he just turns into enel and zaps my ass. what the fuck? that's where progression stops, right? 

The fight?

Yes

The game?

If only you knew how bad things really are