IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

MiSTer update !!!

the dude i bought my MiSTer from ran into some issues and damn near almost set his home on fire. they offered to refund and were very cool about it. i decided to wait it out. it’s now finished, packaged, and travelling over seas as i type.

nah man, not like that at all. i took a pictures of the front and back of my credit card and emailed him and got him to process the transaction directly on my behalf. i trust him.

A lot of Zelda 2 could probably be fixed with improving the dialogue - A mixture of the poor translation and the vague vagueness really makes it a nightmare to play without some sort of guide.

I don't know, we all beat it in like 5th grade without guides it wasn't that bad. Only game I ever needed a guide for was fucking King's Quest V, although I'm sure some of the Castlevania II playground wisdom came from Nintendo Power, at least indirectly. But I never owned that one anyhow.

For some reason I always found Super Mario Bros. harder than a lot of the hard NES games people talk about. Not Battletoads hard or anything, harder for me than, like, Castlevania III or Ninja Gaiden or TMNT Zelda II.

Edited by RSP

A lot of Zelda 2 could probably be fixed with improving the dialogue - A mixture of the poor translation and the vague vagueness really makes it a nightmare to play without some sort of guide.

I don't know, we all beat it in like 5th grade without guides it wasn't that bad. Only game I ever needed a guide for was fucking King's Quest V, although I'm sure some of the Castlevania II playground wisdom came from Nintendo Power, at least indirectly. But I never owned that one anyhow.

For some reason I always found Super Mario Bros. harder than a lot of the hard NES games people talk about. Not Battletoads hard or anything, harder for me than, like, Castlevania III or Ninja Gaiden or TMNT Zelda II.

Harder than Ninja Gaiden? that's one of the hardest NES games there is...

Harder than Ninja Gaiden? that's one of the hardest NES games there is...

The first one isn't too bad until near the end (I never managed to beat it until I was an adult but I could consistently get to the second or third to last screen and then there were a couple of jumps with birds that would get me so many times I'd end up giving up) but the second and third one I am not good at.  I can't say what it is but the physics in the Mario games, especially the firs tone, confounds me in ways that games like Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania and TMNT and Zelda II don't. World 8 of SMB1 is nearly Ghosts and Goblins hard for me, but not Battletoads hard or anything. But what is?

I'd also put Snake Rattle and Roll quite a bit above the first Ninja Gaiden in difficulty, I don't think I ever made it more than halfway through that without borrowing a friend's Game Genie.

I'm also terrible at Pac Man, for what it's worth.

Anyhow, I picked up a Space Station Silicon Valley cart this week and I'm really liking it so far, although I've only had time to play a couple levels. I'd never heard of it until a month or two ago.

I pretty much agree with everything in that video except I think the visuals actually look pretty good.

Edited by RSP

Donkey Kong 3 is such a bizarre game

It’s a good one even if it’s thematically weird with Stanley instead of Mario and having to spray bugs/bees. I want to get deeper into DKjr and DK3 once I kill screen DK (so close).

Took a break from Crimzon Clover: World Ignition and DDP Resurrection to try and feed my metroidvania addiction.

I wound up getting Hollow Knight.

I hadn't read anything about it (not even the game's description on Steam) or seen any of the trailers - I bought it because it came up when searching 'meteoidvania' and it's rating is CRAZY high (36,000+ reviews and something like 95% of them were 5 stars) so I went in completely blind.

My first session with it, I played for 4 hours straight. This game is MAGNIFICENT! No hand-holding what-so-ever, beautiful atmosphere, cool character designs, awesome music and effects (and the voices of the NPC's are almost always cute as hell-especially that little kid digging away in the mines), the lore that's slowly fed to you is very interesting and the controls/physics are top-notch... I just... can not talk this game up enough.

I'd fully recommend any metroidvania fans here to pick it up if you haven't already.

• Like 1

Donkey Kong 3 is such a bizarre game

It’s a good one even if it’s thematically weird with Stanley instead of Mario and having to spray bugs/bees. I want to get deeper into DKjr and DK3 once I kill screen DK (so close).

The Arcade Archives series is one of the best features on Switch, catching up with some gems from the 80s, Ice Climbers, DK series, Mario Bros, etc. tempted to get Virtua Racing but not sure it's worth the $$

Took a break from Crimzon Clover: World Ignition and DDP Resurrection to try and feed my metroidvania addiction.

I hadn't read anything about it (not even the game's description on Steam) or seen any of the trailers - I bought it because it came up when searching 'meteoidvania' and it's rating is CRAZY high (36,000+ reviews and something like 95% of them were 5 stars) so I went in completely blind.

My first session with it, I played for 4 hours straight. This game is MAGNIFICENT! No hand-holding what-so-ever, beautiful atmosphere, cool character designs, awesome music and effects (and the voices of the NPC's are almost always cute as hell-especially that little kid digging away in the mines), the lore that's slowly fed to you is very interesting and the controls/physics are top-notch... I just... can not talk this game up enough.

I'd fully recommend any metroidvania fans here to pick it up if you haven't already.

It's on the list, but I promised myself to not buy any more new games for a while before finishing others I bought years ago. I just finished Shovel Knight and it was pretty fun. But I'm much more of a metroidvania fan than megaman/smb type of sidescrollers. 

It's on the list, but I promised myself to not buy any more new games for a while before finishing others I bought years ago. I just finished Shovel Knight and it was pretty fun. But I'm much more of a metroidvania fan than megaman/smb type of sidescrollers.

Oh, sweet! Shovel Knight's a great game. Actually played it with the Mrs. on the 3DS. One of the very few games that we've played together.

I'm also a HUGE fan of metroidvania's... Metroid II was my intro to the genre, and it's still one of my favorite games of all time.

Hollow Knight is completely blowing me the fuck away. I dumped another 3 hours into it today.

I also read a review that said there were 6 different endings...

With howlongtobeat saying it takes anywhere from 20-30 hours (42 for completionists) to beat it, I'm going to be playing this frick'n game for the next year and loving every minute of it.

=P

I also downloaded Eden's Aegis. I've been trying to think of the name of this game for the last few weeks or so. I'm super stoked to dive into it tomorrow.

Good thing about arcade type games - you never really finish them, so you can jump in and out of playing them to dive into something else...

=P

But after Hollow Knight, is going to play Ori and the Blind Forest for the first time. I've been hearing about it for years, and now that I've finally got a USB controller again... I can get back into metroidvanias instead of sticking with first and third person shooters and puzzle games.

I can't believe I went the last 7 years without having a controller for my PC.

I've missed so much!!

I'm going to have to make sure that when I buy a game, I play and complete it (if it can be completed) before buying another one and keep my arcade/endless purchases under control or else I'm going to blow through my monthly entertainment funds and never have any cash for music.

=X

Edited by Hk47

+1

Hollow Knight is a weird one. i feel you either love it or you don't.

i look at Hollow Knight and something about the visual style just instantly bores me. tried playing it for a bit too but the visual style was so aggressively boring and uninteresting to look at, that i could not stand playing it much at all for long sessions. it's just that bad, boring and generic looking. 

I get that.

Personally, I really like it. It kind of reminds me of Machinarium. With a sort of Limbo vibe.

=P

And once you start opening up new areas, there's a bit of variety. Admittedly, I have no idea how much variety, as I've only opened up my 3rd area, but the atmosphere in each is definitely different than the last.

<shrug>

But I'll totally agree with the love it or hate it statement. I spent a bit of time reading some player's posts around the net and I don't think I found one post where anyone said it was alright. They either absolutely adored it or couldn't stand it.

ATM, I'm definitely falling into the adore it camp.

=P