IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

A very close friend recommended and sent me a copy of GRIS a few months ago, and today I just got a new graphics card for my laptop, so I went ahead and installed it.

All I've read about it so far has all been praise for the graphics. Admittedly, I'm not a graphics whore.

My top 5 games of all time are Metroid II, Final Fantasy Tactics: WotL, X-COM (UFO: Enemy Unknown), Mario 3 and Silent Hill 2.

... graphics never really impact my opinion or enjoyment.

It has a sort of... Transistor vibe to it so far... but other than that, I'm not too impressed.

I'm hoping the gameplay gets a LOT more interesting because right now I'm wondering if I really should have put Hollow Knight on hold so I could dive into this...

Hollow Knight is a weird one. i feel you either love it or you don't.

i look at Hollow Knight and something about the visual style just instantly bores me. tried playing it for a bit too but the visual style was so aggressively boring and uninteresting to look at, that i could not stand playing it much at all for long sessions. it's just that bad, boring and generic looking. 

yeah. i played it for about 45minutes and was completely underwhelmed by the art and atmosphere. felt good, but definitely didn't draw me in first play. and i love metroidvanias. beat the bloodstained 8bit prequel recently. that was fun. hoping the real game is decent but not holding my breath

doing a quick playthru of dark souls 1 and being familiar with it is legit pretty relaxing. 

mini metro is another good one but that also gets pretty stressful. 

I'm trying to get on the watmm leaderboards

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, triachus said:

Sekiro

4 hours ago, bitchroast said:

doing a quick playthru of dark souls 1 and being familiar with it is legit pretty relaxing. 

mini metro is another good one but that also gets pretty stressful. 

only yesterday i realized i can't play these titles (among others) for relaxation because i get too competitive and tryhard. it's not the difficulty as much as my own mindset when i get to it. had this banale yet important epiphany that i shouldn't be playing video games that aren't inherently relaxing. bought journey and had a good time until it started crashing on me lol. might look into no man's sky. it seems sweet

I remember when that was announced, we had a good chuckle at that on the Amiga forums.

Back to what I've been playing lately…

I completed the recent Wolfenstein games... The New Order, The New Colossus, and The Old Blood (in that order). Gotta say that The New Order feels the tightest and best of those three, the gameplay mechanics, the feel of the weaponry, the changes in pace of gameplay, the character building, music, all on point. The New Colossus felt a bit hodge-podge. The Old Blood felt really out of place, with the zombie stuff. I know that stuff was in the original Wolfenstein 3D, and in RtCW and Wolfenstein 2009. But considering the direction that Machinegames are taking the IP, it felt out of place. Still enjoyed playing it though, so it didn't absolutely wreck it for me.

I particularly liked the efforts to give all the characters light brush strokes of humanity. Honestly felt bad for Klaus and Max. And the efforts to humanise the Nazis in the game were a smart touch.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chronical said:

Bought Dreams on PS4 yesterday, we should do a WATMM thing there!

You mean you bought the paid early access? It's not out yet, is it?

• Joyrex featured this topic
11 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

You mean you bought the paid early access? It's not out yet, is it?

Yeah pretty much. You get the full version when it releases, at half the price, while figuring out things will take time anyways. Seems fun so far, time consuming though. Love the way it renders things, has this kinda washed out look, hope I can make a few things for a short film idea with it, not sure how far you can go with importing your own music, and exporting it for further copyright use and all!

Umihara Kawase Fresh! demo off the JP eshop.. love this series of games. bouncy fishing line grapple madness. this one has a bunch of basic story/quest type stuff i could do without but apart from that, it's rad! as maddeningly difficult and satisfying as ever.

also Dragon's Dogma again... why is it so good... 

1 minute ago, eryngi said:

Umihara Kawase Fresh! demo off the JP eshop.. love this series of games. bouncy fishing line grapple madness. this one has a bunch of basic story/quest type stuff i could do without but apart from that, it's rad! as maddeningly difficult and satisfying as ever.

also Dragon's Dogma again... why is it so good... 

I'm a bit torn on dragon's dogma, am I supposed to accept all quests on a board and run around the map? And there's no fast travel, just stones you can travel with once? 

6 minutes ago, chronical said:

I'm a bit torn on dragon's dogma, am I supposed to accept all quests on a board and run around the map? And there's no fast travel, just stones you can travel with once? 

oh i thought you could just keep using those travel stones? dunno, i like walking everywhere ?

quests... i just accept them all and then ignore them until i'm at a loose end some time and feel like it.. not a fan of list-of-tasks-to-check-off style games really.. i mostly just wander around.. 

it's so generic and sort of drab, but d-dogma really shines in DUNGEONS.. going down that well in the starting town was when i first fell in love with it....it's really good at darkness and night, and a sense of exploring dank places. the enemy grabbing mechanic! and the thing pawns do where they learn stuff about the world while off journeying with other players, then act on it when they come back to you, is real clever. does take ages for the battling to get more interesting - you can eventually change to new classes.. magic archer's fun, it's like Rez multi-lockon with bow & arrow.

DD so sort of terrible and videogamey af ("wolves arisen! they ill like fire" x5000) but def has some magic hidden depths i reckon..