IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

I got my girlfriend interested in dungeons and dragons.. where the fuck do I go from here, I've never played it before! so hyped though, she's usually anti vidya and all, but is a huge LOTR fan so the whole talk-to-the-trees-no-guns aspect interested her

Action game or more turn based isometric RPG style?

I assume you'll want to co-op, for the former you have the Capcom DnD arcade Beat 'em Ups, and the latter you have Divinity: Original Sin II.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons:_Shadow_over_Mystara

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divinity:_Original_Sin_II

Also you may want to get her into the Youtube PnP series Critical Role, lots of girls like that.

1 hour ago, ManjuShri said:

Action game or more turn based isometric RPG style?

I assume you'll want to co-op, for the former you have the Capcom DnD arcade Beat 'em Ups, and the latter you have Divinity: Original Sin II. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons:_Shadow_over_Mystara

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divinity:_Original_Sin_II

Also you may want to get her into the Youtube PnP series Critical Role, lots of girls like that.

thanks, but I meant more like an actual DnD session, I can see how that isn't too clear in my post. I've been playing Torment: Tides of Numenera every once in a while, seems more up my alley than the usual Divinity setting ?

Oh def play the original Planescape: Torment if you haven't, it's literally one of the best RPGs made. (Just put the difficulty down to easy and pump WIS at char creation for the most dialogue options).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ManjuShri said:

Oh def play the original Planescape: Torment if you haven't, it's literally one of the best RPGs made. (Just put the difficulty down to easy and pump WIS at char creation for the most dialogue options). 

Oh yeah I will, once I get my tower running again. Love that era of games, reminds me loads of Myst, Riven, just that otherworldly thing the 90s put in people's heads.. Moebius comes to mind :wub:

56 minutes ago, chronical said:

thanks, but I meant more like an actual DnD session, I can see how that isn't too clear in my post. I've been playing Torment: Tides of Numenera every once in a while, seems more up my alley than the usual Divinity setting ?

I've found D&D noobs enjoy the game more with some floor tile maps and miniature figures to help the imagination.  It's just also more fun imo.

12 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

I've found D&D noobs enjoy the game more with some floor tile maps and miniature figures to help the imagination.  It's just also more fun imo.

That's funny. When I started we didn't use anything at all but now I play with someone who's been playing since the 80s and we always have to have a map and figurines.

1 hour ago, Braintree said:

That's funny. When I started we didn't use anything at all but now I play with someone who's been playing since the 80s and we always have to have a map and figurines.

Yeah back in the day we just traced a comic book character and made him your guy.  That's it, no fancy toys like today!  Much better today.

i've still never gotten into D+D. had a small group try it out but even the DM was a noob so it was a slow process of trial and error and figuring out how it all worked, and how to respond to the players needs and expectations... and eventually too much of the group lost interest and we stopped lol. i think having a DM who's not a noob will go a long way. 

Wtf does this nerd shit have to do with video games, learn to vidya like real alpha males 

• Like 1

(hopefully this isnt too frowned upon..) Bought a secondhand dsi in hopes of loading up cfw, but it turns out it didnt have any of the software required so i was out of luck there (luckily have a flashcart..). I already had an original 2ds, but I got fed up with the horrible d-pad on the 2ds; its so mushy.  The slightly clicky d-pad on dsi is a huge improvement.  Ive read some people say gba/snes emulation on the dsi hardware is really bad, others say its acceptable.. ill have to try for myself and report back.

got myself a switch + smash today. spending my first few hours playing around with joycon options to see what i like best. what do people tend to use?

2 hours ago, QQQ said:

got myself a switch + smash today. spending my first few hours playing around with joycon options to see what i like best. what do people tend to use?

For Smash, you really need either a Pro Controller, or the Gamecube adapter and Gamecube controllers. Depends on how familiar/not you are with Smash.

12 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

For Smash, you really need either a Pro Controller, or the Gamecube adapter and Gamecube controllers. Depends on how familiar/not you are with Smash.

i've played every smash game, probably put more hours into them than any other game/series. i don't fancy splurging any more than i already have, so i'll be playing with the joycons for now.

1 hour ago, QQQ said:

i've played every smash game, probably put more hours into them than any other game/series. i don't fancy splurging any more than i already have, so i'll be playing with the joycons for now.

A Pro Controller can be had for around 55-60 USD, and a GameCube controller + the adapter is around that as well.

Any of you nerds have a Fortnite account they don't use anymore that I could merge mine with? I play it once a week with my cousin, admit it's pretty fun, we've been doing this since day 1.. The merging ends tomorrow, thought I'd try my luck here. No way I'm wasting sheckles on a galaxy shaded pickaxe..

*ducks*

Edited by chronical

1 hour ago, chronical said:

Any of you nerds have a Fortnite account they don't use anymore that I could merge mine with? I play it once a week with my cousin, admit it's pretty fun, we've been doing this since day 1.. The merging ends tomorrow, thought I'd try my luck here. No way I'm wasting sheckles on a galaxy shaded pickaxe..

*ducks*

I haven't used mine in over a year. You can have it, although I'm not sure how this merging procedure works.

got up to World 8 on Japanese Super Mario Bros 2 without cheating. 

world 5 was brutal. but rest has been Good Wholesome Fun. 

until world 8... and then the game just turns into straight up bullshit... 

i checked my Switch play session times and it said Mario 2 had 20 hours... so i decided to start using save states to at least save at the start of 8-4 and ? hey, whaddaya know, i beat Japanese Super Mario Bros 2 !!!

turns out the game has a World 9 after World 8... and you only have 1 life, and if you die it pretty much says "You're a super player!" and then gives you a game over screen lol. 

also, if you beat the game 8 times and get 8 stars on the title card screen, it unlocks Worlds A B C and D. 

who the heck designed this game??? it's such an asshole of a game. 

10 hours ago, bitchroast said:

got up to World 8 on Japanese Super Mario Bros 2 without cheating. 

world 5 was brutal. but rest has been Good Wholesome Fun. 

until world 8... and then the game just turns into straight up bullshit... 

i checked my Switch play session times and it said Mario 2 had 20 hours... so i decided to start using save states to at least save at the start of 8-4 and ? hey, whaddaya know, i beat Japanese Super Mario Bros 2 !!!

turns out the game has a World 9 after World 8... and you only have 1 life, and if you die it pretty much says "You're a super player!" and then gives you a game over screen lol. 

also, if you beat the game 8 times and get 8 stars on the title card screen, it unlocks Worlds A B C and D. 

who the heck designed this game??? it's such an asshole of a game. 

The thinking at the time was instead of just more of the same from Mario 1, give the hardcore players a challenge. I think the decision not to bring it out in the US was a wise one (and if they hadn't we wouldn't have gotten my favourite Mario game, Super Mario 2 USA aka the reskinned Doki Doki Panic)

4 hours ago, Joyrex said:

The thinking at the time was instead of just more of the same from Mario 1, give the hardcore players a challenge. I think the decision not to bring it out in the US was a wise one (and if they hadn't we wouldn't have gotten my favourite Mario game, Super Mario 2 USA aka the reskinned Doki Doki Panic)

It would be a lot easier if the controls weren't so goddamn bad...