IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Looking for a good "pick up and play" PS4 game with simple controls that I can turn on once and while and waste 10 or 20 minutes. I was looking at Spelunker and Shovel Knight. Any opinions on one or the other, or something else?

Was just thinking similar thoughts this weekend....though honestly I was straight up dreaming about some Super Mario 3/Galaxy type stuff. Obv I have no Nintendo so, suggestions?

If you don't mind them being linear with a definitive end, Inside, Abzu, and Unfinished Swan all have simple controls you can play in small bits. They do finish after a few hours though.

rogue knight is one of the coolest experiences i've had in recent years. can totally play in short bursts

This Rogue Knight? 

If so that's a naw for me, turn-based anything just makes me go yuck.

I'm really hoping for a good fun simple platformer of the Nintendo variety. Honestly I probably just need to go buy some used Lego Star Wars games or something for cheap.

Abzu looks pretty but I'm not big on that style of gameplay. Heard a lot of good about Unfinished Swan, definitely one I was planning on grabbing at some point, will see if maybe it's cheap, thanks for the reminder of it :)

Oh, yeah I had a friend trying to get me into Rogue Legacy a while back, never really gave it a shot. I see they've got a free demo available on PC (this needs to be more common!), will download it tonight and give it a try, thanks for the suggestion :)

And shit yeah Auditor I forgot about Rayman games existing, may need to see if I can grab one of those for cheap on my PS4.

XCOM 2: WotC is too damn hard and frustrating. Might just shelve it and go back to Ruiner instead. But then again that one's not a walk in the park either. But at least it's easier to recuperate after failure.

Anyone played Amnesia? Free this week on PS Plus, the graphics look a bit pants but could be fun.

It's the piggy one, right? It's... not great. Tedious stealth, puzzles are find the thing and put the thing in the thing, it's basically just a lot of walking through set pieces and listening to voice snippets.

The atmosphere and set pieces are really good, industrial revolution hellscape is captured pretty well. But it was pretty much the death knell for the "walking simulators" microgenre of games.

Been playing Stardew Valley ever since it came out on Switch. The portability of the console is just perfect, it feels totally like spending holidays on the GBA just like when I was younger. The game is really cute as well, the missus seems to appreciate it even more !

Anyone played Amnesia? Free this week on PS Plus, the graphics look a bit pants but could be fun.

It's the piggy one, right? It's... not great. Tedious stealth, puzzles are find the thing and put the thing in the thing, it's basically just a lot of walking through set pieces and listening to voice snippets.

The atmosphere and set pieces are really good, industrial revolution hellscape is captured pretty well. But it was pretty much the death knell for the "walking simulators" microgenre of games.

I think it's both the original and a machine for pigs or whatever it's called. Download them and give it a shot? You already paid for them.

I think it's both the original and a machine for pigs or whatever it's called. Download them and give it a shot? You already paid for them.

Ah right. Dark Descent is pretty good! Piggies not so much - but yeah, if it's free, worth it alone for the industrial horror vibes.

Speaking of horror vibes, started Darkest Dungeon - I really love the atmosphere, artwork, general tone of the game. Can't tell if I like the gameplay or not though, and if I suck at it real bad. Every time I take a level 1 party in for a mission they've all lost their minds by the end of it and I lose a party member or two. Judging by steam reviews end-game is grindy and RNG heavy too. Worth slogging on?

Edited by WeAreOceans

I bough the Binding of Isaac a while ago and it didn't really click. Recently, I gave it another shot and now I'm kinda addicted.

I bough the Binding of Isaac a while ago and it didn't really click. Recently, I gave it another shot and now I'm kinda addicted.

If you're playing on PC, they just came out with another booster pack for Afterbirth + expansion...

Ah right. Dark Descent is pretty good! Piggies not so much - but yeah, if it's free, worth it alone for the industrial horror vibes.

Speaking of horror vibes, started Darkest Dungeon - I really love the atmosphere, artwork, general tone of the game. Can't tell if I like the gameplay or not though, and if I suck at it real bad. Every time I take a level 1 party in for a mission they've all lost their minds by the end of it and I lose a party member or two. Judging by steam reviews end-game is grindy and RNG heavy too. Worth slogging on?

Dark Descent was great! It has a sanity level like Eternal Darkness (one of my gamecube-era favorites) which causes auditory hallucinations and weird graphical morphing when it runs low. Very cool system. Machine for Pigs looked boring, I haven't played that one.

Edited by Boxus

Well, fuck XCOM 2: WotC. I can't count how many times I've had to restart missions now. It's been rampant frustration from the get-go. Probably time to uninstall.

Besides, I've already beaten the base game.

Dark Descent was great! It has a sanity level like Eternal Darkness (one of my gamecube-era favorites) which causes auditory hallucinations and weird graphical morphing when it runs low. Very cool system. Machine for Pigs looked boring, I haven't played that one.

I don't think it has the sanity system like DD. A lot of the things that made DD so interesting were gutted, hence walking simulator comparisons.

Well, fuck XCOM 2: WotC. I can't count how many times I've had to restart missions now. It's been rampant frustration from the get-go. Probably time to uninstall.

I've found that, as with the base game, once you reach a certain point your squad is way overpowered (esp when you train up a psy op). Have you defeated all of the chosen yet? Game gets a lot easier when you don't have to worry about them popping up.

I do like race games and would love to love GT, but the last one I played I gave up on when it was taking me ages to get something better than a Mazda MX5 after having a load of time with some fucking Sportwagon POS.

Haven't played a racer for a good few years though so may take the plunge once the price lowers, depending on people's opinions.

I've found that, as with the base game, once you reach a certain point your squad is way overpowered (esp when you train up a psy op). Have you defeated all of the chosen yet? Game gets a lot easier when you don't have to worry about them popping up.

Nope, but I did get very close on the mission where you put down the Assassin for good. Then I got my ass handed to me.

Then I deleted all of my saves and started over from scratch, then got my ass handed to me on the second mission. Restarted that one, and got my ass handed to me again.

I'm sorry, but it's not worth the frustration for me anymore. Not sure if I'm gonna uninstall it, but I'll at least be taking a break from it for a while. In the meantime, there's loads of classic Doom mods to fall back on. And the new Wolfenstein in two weeks.