IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

My GF has been out of the apartment a lot, so I can finally play Portal 2 an hour or so a day without her watching and getting pissed off that I'm giving it away.

I'm going to read the older thread and pretend it's 2011 and that I'm playing it when everyone else did.

Really wish we didn't live in a goddamn loft sometimes.

I've made it up to the early Cave Johnson levels so far. It definitely seems a bit easier than some of the twitchier Portal the First bits, but the test chamber/level designs are still amazing. And while some of the solutions seem obvious and easy in retrospect, they're not immediately obvious. That plus the writing makes for some incredible pacing. The gameplay is great. I'm having a ton of fun. I'd love to get some ridiculous challenges with advanced chambers someday, but the single player game feels really nicely balanced as is.

I love how Valve can pull off genuinely funny broad humor whilst simultaneously building an actual emotional connection to the game (eg the slow Caroline reveal after saving the turret [i don't know exactly how this ends, don't tell me]).

I know Valve routinely get flack from fans of more open-world design, but what they do they do better than anyone. But I'm totes gay for good stories, anyway.

I have to wait for the GF to finish before we splitscreen the Co-op, but I'm looking forward to that.

Short answer: it's totally pulled me away from ME2 for the time being, and ME2 has been fucking awesome.

Edit: I know there's a Borealis ref coming and I'm a little apprehensive that it'll (a) not make much sense with HL2E2's story and (b) make me want to play HL3 which I am dead certain won't be revealed until MS and Sony have new generation consoles, and probably not early in that cycle.

Edited by baph

Okay, Skyrim question for all of you:

Will this game become a tedious slog of micromanaging your inventory of bullshit and loot? I am sick to fuck of the WoW style character management.

Also, I am a wizard type caster and it's not very satisfying. Should I just go back to being a hack-and-slash type or does casting get better?

Will this game become a tedious slog of micromanaging your inventory of bullshit and loot? I am sick to fuck of the WoW style character management.

Also, I am a wizard type caster and it's not very satisfying. Should I just go back to being a hack-and-slash type or does casting get better?

short answer: Yes.

If you just want to enjoy dungeon crawling and questing, don't try to level up in Enchanting, Smithing, or Alchemy. Then you are dealing with serious micromanagement. I spent a few hours of my second game just repeating processes to build up levels....I had hit lvl 30 before even doing a serious quest....

just played cod:mw3 the first time(singleplayer) and thought it was "meh"

there was something missing for me. the action was solid but to hectic for my taste. black ops was more my cup of tea . still have to play the special ops mode but i don't know if the time is worth it.

Super_Mario_Land_2_box_art.jpg

Such a good fucking game!

Yeah, I loved that one when I was a boy.

I remember playing that on the original Game Boy console, which used four AA batteries. I remember there being a POP in the battery case one time while playing it, probably from battery corrosion.

Nah Skyrim is satisfying, clocked about 60 hours. I started off as a hack and slasher but have since refined my enchanting and magic skills too, bit of an all rounder. Definitely worth levelling up your smithing skills quickly so you can improve weapons and armour, same with enchanting so you can make a reletavely tame one handed weapon into something pretty potent.

You can up your smithing skills quickly by making iron daggers, just buy or steal lots of iron ingot and leather strips.

I like just exploring and discovering shit, occasionally dipping into the main quest, just try not to hoard loads of pointless shit. You can store stuff in chests if you want to use them later.

Edited by Richy

Nah Skyrim is satisfying, clocked about 60 hours. I started off as a hack and slasher but have since refined my enchanting and magic skills too, bit of an all rounder. Definitely worth levelling up your smithing skills quickly so you can improve weapons and armour, same with enchanting so you can make a reletavely tame one handed weapon into something pretty potent.

You can up your smithing skills quickly by making iron daggers, just buy or steal lots of iron ingot and leather strips.

I like just exploring and discovering shit, occasionally dipping into the main quest, just try not to hoard loads of pointless shit. You can store stuff in chests if you want to use them later.

I dunno, post-patch iron daggers hardly make a dent in the Smith leveling process it would seem.

Honestly if you wanted to get maximum enjoyment out of the game, just save up enough to buy a house to throw all your stuff in, sell the rest, and just go questing. The rest will come according to preference.

Super_Mario_Land_2_box_art.jpg

Such a good fucking game!

Yeah, I loved that one when I was a boy.

I remember playing that on the original Game Boy console, which used four AA batteries. I remember there being a POP in the battery case one time while playing it, probably from battery corrosion.

sounds like i should get this game as i rock the sp...

just played cod:mw3 the first time(singleplayer) and thought it was "meh"

there was something missing for me. the action was solid but to hectic for my taste. black ops was more my cup of tea . still have to play the special ops mode but i don't know if the time is worth it.

MW3 singleplayer was way dull compared to 2, and the multiplayer community is just retarded, really glad I traded it in for Max Payne 3, which I'm still currently enjoying the shit out of...

Finally gave up on trying to beat the last boss in Dead Space 2 with no ammo and just the Plasma Cutter, so I reloaded Chapter 14, and then remembered the infinite node/credit glitch in this area - basically there is a room you can open with a node, and inside, there can be anything from two nodes and a ruby semiconductor, or one node, or 3000 credits (it's on a randomizer). By saving and reloading, you can keep coming back to this room and the items refresh themselves (due to a glitch in how Visceral Games does their item placement with proximity-triggered placement) every time. So, I'm buying and building up all the weapons, and once I get all the weapons and the requisite trophies, I'll stock up on massive amounts of ammo and some health and go destroy the last boss. After that, it's playing the lesser difficulties to get the "kill x number of enemies by x" trophies, and then do Hardcore mode to get the Platinum.

After passing Silent Hill: Downpour I redo my take on it and say I enjoy it regardless of my brother saying its not as scary as the others. I think I got annoyed with the repeating atmospheric music and that one area was because for some reason I found myself trying to do all the side missions. I'm planning on revisit it to get the trophies.

Right now I am moving on to Half Life 2 and would like to play KH: Dream Drop with the audio hooked up to the front room system. I would love to move the video to the TV like the PSP but I don't think that'll work well for 3DS.