IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Anyone played Dragon Ball Fighterz? Looks sick. Thinking about getting on the Nintendo Switch!!

I found it kinda meh - then again I am a Street Fighter purist. I could see this appealing to DBZ fans though (which obviously the game caters towards).

Sekiro looks cool, but I tried Bloodborne and just got crushed by the first boss. And I play a lot of games on hard. Looking up tips online was no help. Never got anywhere close to beating him.

that's where you try again mate, bloodborne is one of a kind. truly beautiful, especially with the lovecraftian references in a gothic setting. don't miss out! :happy:

After about 100 deaths on the same boss making no progress (and having to re-go through the level every time), it didn't feel like fun and I gave up.

The "first" boss most people encounter in that game is entirely optional and most are underleveled when they discover him, assuming you're talking the wolf on the bridge... If not, well... git gud.

Sekiro looks cool, but I tried Bloodborne and just got crushed by the first boss. And I play a lot of games on hard. Looking up tips online was no help. Never got anywhere close to beating him.

that's where you try again mate, bloodborne is one of a kind. truly beautiful, especially with the lovecraftian references in a gothic setting. don't miss out! :happy:

After about 100 deaths on the same boss making no progress (and having to re-go through the level every time), it didn't feel like fun and I gave up.

The "first" boss most people encounter in that game is entirely optional and most are underleveled when they discover him, assuming you're talking the wolf on the bridge... If not, well... git gud.

Yep, it was on the bridge.

Guest Ovitus

I always thought Father Gascoigne was the barrier of entry for most people. I finally beat him myself, on ng+

Pthumerian Descendant in the Great Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice was tough as well. Ended up hopping on Discord to get some assistance on that one. Don't think I'd be able to solo it.

I think my favorite fight was Shadow Of Yharnam in Forbidden Forest, part of the reason I'm stoked for Sekiro.

Google's entry into the game market is intriguing to say the least - if anyone can realize the dream of a "streaming console" (without a console even!) it's them.

Their claims of 4K/60fps at launch are a bit dubious though - I would be impressed if they could pull off consistent 1080/60 for the vast majority of people.

Google's entry into the game market is intriguing to say the least - if anyone can realize the dream of a "streaming console" (without a console even!) it's them.

Their claims of 4K/60fps at launch are a bit dubious though - I would be impressed if they could pull off consistent 1080/60 for the vast majority of people.

"UP TO 4k/60fps" so they aren't really promising anything except for the ability to reach 4k/60fps.

But yeah, I don't like this. I don't like this at all.

I wanna know what this means for developers and I wanna know how developers make money off of this. If a developer gets x amount of cents for every minute played then that makes some sense for big companies. But what does this mean for indie developers?

I'm trying to be positive about it, but I don't like this.

i don't like it either. from a business perspective i can see the "need" to market to the instafix crowd that need their entertainment right now- but i don't get why people wouldn't want time to consider making such purchases especially when they're not physical and therefore cannot be sold later down the line to try and recoup their misguided investment. 

also, this eradicates those "collectors" who like to have shelves to show off the wares they're bought over time. and the name stadia sucks

"UP TO 4k/60fps" so they aren't really promising anything except for the ability to reach 4k/60fps.

I wanna know what this means for developers and I wanna know how developers make money off of this. If a developer gets x amount of cents for every minute played then that makes some sense for big companies. But what does this mean for indie developers?

Shit; that's true - unless Google buys the rights to the game for a fee, and then provides royalties thereafter based on plays... that would be fair, right?

i don't like it either. from a business perspective i can see the "need" to market to the instafix crowd that need their entertainment right now- but i don't get why people wouldn't want time to consider making such purchases especially when they're not physical and therefore cannot be sold later down the line to try and recoup their misguided investment. 

also, this eradicates those "collectors" who like to have shelves to show off the wares they're bought over time. and the name stadia sucks

I think that's just it - instead of buying games outright, you're paying for the rights to play them, so no big investment required. Googs pays devs a percentage of each play/stream plus rights fees to use their game.

I don't think this will kill game sales entirely though - streaming hasn't killed off physical sales (yet), although the shift to digital first before physical was a big one.

Shit; that's true - unless Google buys the rights to the game for a fee, and then provides royalties thereafter based on plays... that would be fair, right?

True, but this could make a big impact on the launch sales - and again, unless you're releasing the new CoD or GTA of course. Indie games need a fairly good launch and that's where the word of mouth comes into action and once that has cooled off you're relying on sales on Steam, Humble Bundle sales, and so on. This screenshot says it all...

midweek-madness.png

Anyway, I'm just paranoid about the indie scene because this wasn't mentioned at all at Google's presentation. Hopefully, Microsoft and Sony will have something to say about this at this year's E3.

Also, does this aggressive push mean that MS and Sony will start talking about their new consoles/platforms earlier than expected? 

The Stadia thing is imo one more scary incursion from Google, I hate seeing them in every part of my life.

I'm not interested in streaming games really but I already see how young kids will grow with that shit and just play the latest Call Of Fifa game ever and ever and ever, their game libraries being narrowed down by the same company who will already handle their music, videos, phone calls, etc.

Shit I'm not even 30 and already ranting about how crappy the future looks like because I'm afraid of that change ha !

during these dark and troubling times, lets take the time to acknowledge and appreciate nintendo making a videogame console that does something different other than "more or less an Expensive PC in a box with exclusivity deals" 

Will watch the Google video shortly but i don't exactly have high hopes living in australia and having sketchy internet depending on where you're living. 

The Stadia thing is imo one more scary incursion from Google, I hate seeing them in every part of my life.

I'm not interested in streaming games really but I already see how young kids will grow with that shit and just play the latest Call Of Fifa game ever and ever and ever, their game libraries being narrowed down by the same company who will already handle their music, videos, phone calls, etc.

Shit I'm not even 30 and already ranting about how crappy the future looks like because I'm afraid of that change ha !

Genuine LOL @ "Call of FIFA". I want that to be a real game

lol. Counterpoint: It seems possible that opening the ability to stream games via this service also might open up the market to indie and fringe developers. I.e., for those of us who are (primarily) console gamers, something like this is actually much more likely to make me abandon a platform and, essentially, have a much wider of potential games to play. So, in a way, this could have the opposite effect, and open kids up to a much wider array of video game content.

(not saying I even 100% believe that, just a thought)

during these dark and troubling times, lets take the time to acknowledge and appreciate nintendo making a videogame console that does something different other than "more or less an Expensive PC in a box with exclusivity deals" 

Will watch the Google video shortly but i don't exactly have high hopes living in australia and having sketchy internet depending on where you're living. 

+10 Consistently enthused about the Switch and Nintendo's games in particular. As a parent to be, I'm even more keenly aware that Nintendo makes games that feel appropriate, engaging, fun for kids "of all ages" which sounds cliche and trite but also happens to be true. 

Genuine LOL @ "Call of FIFA". I want that to be a real game

ditto-lol'd

Edited by T3551ER

I think that's just it - instead of buying games outright, you're paying for the rights to play them, so no big investment required. Googs pays devs a percentage of each play/stream plus rights fees to use their game.

I don't think this will kill game sales entirely though - streaming hasn't killed off physical sales (yet), although the shift to digital first before physical was a big one.

unless they're super cheap that they don't warrant paying a couple of extra bucks for the physical copy or they're worth playing but not owning. personally i enjoyed the ps vita but i disliked the online gaming service sony provided for it and this was my initial worry 

i also don't think streaming games will kill physical sales- my first reaction is just to see this as another experiment that google will kill off once it doesn't become the competitor everyone expected it to be

Edited by Nebraska

lol. Counterpoint: It seems possible that opening the ability to stream games via this service also might open up the market to indie and fringe developers. I.e., for those of us who are (primarily) console gamers, something like this is actually much more likely to make me abandon a platform and, essentially, have a much wider of potential games to play. So, in a way, this could have the opposite effect, and open kids up to a much wider array of video game content.

Of course that's a valid point but it will most probably end up being another source of "directed freedom" : you can access all those games at a steady price but an algorithm decide which games will suit you best, based on all the other thing you do in your life, and you'll end up being trapped in a limited list of things that a non-human system will think is the best for you.

That's probably already a thing with Steam, but here the tight integration within the Google ecosystem is what's frightening me. I'm pretty sure that, for example, the games you'll play on their system will have a strong influence on the videos you will come across on YouTube !

I'm probably just freaking out, streaming and downloads are not the end of the world but I don't know, it's kind of sad.

Decided to try Earth Defense Force 4.1 because it was on a 25 percent off Steam sale, and it had promising user reviews. It has a janky UI but it's pretty enjoyable so far. The English NPC voices were annoying af tho, as they sounded like cliche anime voice actors. So I ended up changing them to Japanese whilst retaining English text. But it would be nice if there were subs too.

Of course that's a valid point but it will most probably end up being another source of "directed freedom" : you can access all those games at a steady price but an algorithm decide which games will suit you best, based on all the other thing you do in your life, and you'll end up being trapped in a limited list of things that a non-human system will think is the best for you.

That's probably already a thing with Steam, but here the tight integration within the Google ecosystem is what's frightening me. I'm pretty sure that, for example, the games you'll play on their system will have a strong influence on the videos you will come across on YouTube !

I'm probably just freaking out, streaming and downloads are not the end of the world but I don't know, it's kind of sad.

Hey! Ahh, I see. . . actually think that's a valid concern. It's something on a non-entertainment level that (personally) I find to be quite disturbing. Specifically, in the realm of confirmation bias when it comes to political thought. E.g., I have some friends from high school who are on Facebook who I initially blocked b/c I couldn't stand to see their extremely [redacted] leaning posts. Realized later that what I was effectively doing was to train Facebook to ONLY show me content that fit with my political leanings - which means I never got a chance to see what someone on the "other side" was thinking (which, personally, I think it critical to staying open minded)

So, while we used to (probably unconsciously) seek out content that was in keeping with how we see the world, now we're living with a technology that is going a step further and just giving it to us before we even ask. Or, in the case of Netflix, basically funneling you towards itself like the gaping maw of Cthulhu . 

So, yeah, totally get it! Think we just have to be careful/mindful about not just defaulting to whatever pops up next. The + side is that, with stadia, I'll no longer have to go the extra step to google "big boob anime chicks" when playing hentai video games ^o^