IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

2 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Christ - how long do you have to play typically to achieve that score?

Between 1h45m and 2h. This game took me 1h48m. I'm uploading a video of my game right now. For players going for a million, it would take closer to 3h.

The first time I tried it at a barcade around 2 years ago, it amazed me at how difficult the game was. Just getting to lvl2 was crazy hard. But it's such a good game in the way it keeps your interest. The game play and RNG of the barrels and fireballs keep it fun.

Just now, paranerd said:

Between 1h45m and 2h. This game took me 1h48m. I'm uploading a video of my game right now. For players going for a million, it would take closer to 3h.

The first time I tried it at a barcade around 2 years ago, it amazed me at how difficult the game was. Just getting to lvl2 was crazy hard. But it's such a good game in the way it keeps your interest. The game play and RNG of the barrels and fireballs keep it fun.

Really old games are interesting in how simple they are and you can endlessly replay (or continuously play) them versus most modern games.

1 minute ago, Joyrex said:

Really old games are interesting in how simple they are and you can endlessly replay (or continuously play) them versus most modern games.

Dude, yes! This whole DK obsession of mine opened up a huge world of arcade gaming for me. Those old games are tough as nails but so satisfying to figure out.

3 minutes ago, paranerd said:

Dude, yes! This whole DK obsession of mine opened up a huge world of arcade gaming for me. Those old games are tough as nails but so satisfying to figure out.

Two of my favourites from when I was a kid were Robotron 2084 and Berserk - the latter ate many of my quarters at the arcade...

2 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Two of my favourites from when I was a kid were Robotron 2084 and Berserk - the latter ate many of my quarters at the arcade...

They have amazing sound too. Any late 70s, early 80s games with speech synthesis are gold in my book.

7 minutes ago, oscillik said:

That's weird, it was working for me earlier when I replied to that post.

Aye, it was an accidental leak. It's being officially announced tomorrow.

Eeeesh, I take it back — running the game kicks my system up a notch, no idea why — it's not a taxing game at all. Wolfenstein: The New Order doesn't even push it this hard.

image.png.d744a3016488ef8f50051d91e1353eb6.png

6 hours ago, indulin said:

currently doing the classic zelda marathon with all the games i played :-D. started with "a link to the past", now finished "link's awakening" and will move on to the "oracle of" series (my favs). "the minish cap" to follow! going to replay a lot more classics with my controller on my way to work, gotta love emulators :-)!

big game currently is "final fantasy XII - the zodiac age". played the original back then, but never with all the sidequests, now it's time!

The FFWD option is great for grinding, etc.

56 minutes ago, oscillik said:

Eeeesh, I take it back — running the game kicks my system up a notch, no idea why — it's not a taxing game at all. Wolfenstein: The New Order doesn't even push it this hard.

image.png.d744a3016488ef8f50051d91e1353eb6.png

Showing off, are we :dadjoke:

2 hours ago, oscillik said:

Thanks, although I have my early mid-life crisis to thank for it

So instead of a Porsche or similar you build the McLaren of computers... nice!

On 5/9/2019 at 3:22 AM, paranerd said:

After a year of playing, I finally made it to the Donkey Kong Kill Screen with a score of 888100:

Cc7kYMu.png

Congrats man - I still haven't nailed the first and third stages of the 'world', the 'Pie Factory' and 'Rivets' I can do but the barrel movement ('will it go down the ladder, will it not') I still have no idea so my completion of the level seems to be down to luck

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcbpete said:

Congrats man - I still haven't nailed the first and third stages of the 'world', the 'Pie Factory' and 'Rivets' I can do but the barrel movement ('will it go down the ladder, will it not') I still have no idea so my completion of the level seems to be down to luck

Thank you! Here's the video of my game: 

Strangely, the barrel boards are easiest from L=5 on and the difficulty caps til L=22, so you're looping the same game over and over. 75% of the time, if you run towards a ladder when a barrel is above you, it will go down the nearest ladder. Also from L=5 on, the wild barrels DK flings across the screen are a lot easier to avoid than in L=3 and L=4. Most players still get snagged by L=3 and L=4 wild barrels, no matter how good of a player they are.

The game is LOADED with tricks and strats to maximize survival and points - safe spots, wall jumping, pie jumping, barrel grouping, when to get the hammer, etc. And players are still finding new strats and glitches. Once you're deep enough into the game, it just keeps on giving.