IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

20 minutes ago, bitchroast said:

i really enjoyed mario maker 1. finding good levels was a pain but that’s also a problem of 90% of the uploaded levels being garbage. but eventually you stumble onto a good level + browse the uploaders levels + check their Favourited levels and find more good levels etc. etc.

this sequel will be the end of me !!!

Oh yeah I used to play the game on a daily basis. Most uploads are garbage but I'd look up lists of the best ones. I don't usually get addicted to games that just have custom single player levels but this was an exception. This and all those really good Doom WADs.

It's unfortunate that 95% of the Mario Maker level that go viral are the crazy ones the person who made it can barely beat.

Edited by Brisbot

So if anyone really liked Ocarina of Time and likes youtube video essays about stuff, here's a good one on the game which explores underlying themes in the game which aren't necessarily obvious. Well worth the watch if you have 30 minutes to spare.

Edited by Brisbot

Speaking of Castlevania, there was this really cool fan game that came out last year called "Simon's Destiny". I beat it some time back, it's pretty fun and free.
Video is a bit loud to start out with. Download in the description.

Void Bastards looks interesting, FTL meets System Shock with a graphical style very similar to XIII's comic cell shading.

Edited by WeAreOceans
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, WeAreOceans said:

Void Bastards looks interesting, FTL meets System Shock with a graphical style very similar to XIII's comic cell shading.

Nice. Any game that traverses the System Shock vein is an automatic grab for me. Also like the unique Futurama-style graphics.

12 hours ago, Brisbot said:

So if anyone really liked Ocarina of Time and likes youtube video essays about stuff, here's a good one on the game which explores underlying themes in the game which aren't necessarily obvious. Well worth the watch if you have 30 minutes to spare.

Yes @ subject, but the style of these over-produced yt documentaries really irks me: The generic building piano muzak, timed word art emphasizing the narrators points, quick cuts every second.  I appreciate that its well researched, but then they just drown that effort in buzzfeed style tropes

1 hour ago, markedone said:

Yes @ subject, but the style of these over-produced yt documentaries really irks me: The generic building piano muzak, timed word art emphasizing the narrators points, quick cuts every second.  I appreciate that its well researched, but then they just drown that effort in buzzfeed style tropes

TBH this essay is more like a well done documentary style than a buzzfeed documentary and doesn't really have that youtube essay clicheness you speak of. Worth the watch for sure. And a lot of the music is good I think you'll like it. It also provides a deeper appreciation for Zelda and Miyamoto and makes me wanna replay some of the older games.

Probably shouldn't have said 'youtube essay' or whatever to describe it. Let me put it this way, if YT essays became more like this one I'd watch a lot more YT essays.

Edited by Brisbot

Played through Ninja Gaiden for the first time in quite a while after work.  Pretty rusty, took over an hour and a half to get to the last boss and I died and got kicked back all the way to that green stage.  Didn't have it in me to go through the last 4 or 5 stages again tonight but I should be able to beat it next time.  The last two levels are still pretty tough, just frustrating enough that you feel like you accomplished something when you make it through.

• Like 1

mtg arena is fun as fuck. still technically in beta but it's pretty polished at this point. they've added friend matches now too so you don't just have to get stomped by randos who aren't afraid to p2w. i'll never put a dime of real money into it but it's fun regardless

• Like 1

got the MiSTer setup and running. MiSTer is so much fun ?

big issue with it is .. documentation is a bit sparse and all over the place. you really need to sink time into reading the main wiki, but then also because it's all so in development and in flux, you kind of want to be reading the forums and community side of things as well because there's a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes that makes improvements that you wouldn't know about otherwise. things to improve the scaling and output resolutions and speeds.. documentation is all over the place or non exististant and you really need to spend time digging around to get things set up properly. also things like... the NES core seems to be saving (tested Zelda 1 save file) but SNES core isn't saving... so i need to look into that. setting up 2 players on some of the cores is really fiddly and can get wires crossed pretty easily and need to look into that. the NES core can seemingly boot FDS games but i couldn't get any of the files to run (.... so i need to look into that). yoshi's island seems to run okay but then i got to the bit where you go "behind/inside" a cave, and the wall disappears to reveal more level.. and for whatever reason this was flipped around and the wall was appearing/disappearing in the reverse fashion... lots of little bugs and inaccuracies pop up during testing different games. 

having said all that, it's still really cool and fun playing around with the different cores. having the NES core running, and then you just press F12 to access the list of available cores that you've (pretty much drag and drop) installed onto the SD card.. and booting into a new core is instant. booting into a rom file is pretty instant. 

i don't have a rasberry pi set up to compare to.. but comparing the MiSTer NES and SNES cores, to the emulators i've got on Nintendo Switch (Nintendo Switch Online, Megaman Legacy Collection).. and the MiSTer is notably more responsive and has seemingly a whole layer of input lag taken out of the equation. it looks and sounds crisper too. like you can tinker with the scaling options on the NES core on the MiSTer and get it looks really crystal clear super sharp.. and then you compare it back to what the Switch emulators are outputting.... and it looks like comparing a compressed JPG to a PNG file. 

it's really cool stuff ? very addicting just getting lost looking at file after file. 

19 hours ago, chronical said:

tried out path of exile on ps4 yesterday.. fun stuff! wonder if you can get to endgame without it feeling like a 2nd job

requires a lot of reading to get a grip on builds and stuff, too, doesnt it? saw something somewhere saying that it's basically designed to keep you playing in a chore-like way, what with resets and all. that puts me off a bit as well

currently playing brawlhalla and no man's sky for equal parts competition and relaxation

On 5/16/2019 at 4:00 PM, juiceciuj said:

apparently the cv1 rom is a recalled version that crashes in later stages due to sprite overload

Apparently, the uncensored Japanese versions will be added in a free update:

https://www.dualshockers.com/castlevania-update-japanese-versions/amp/

On 5/18/2019 at 11:37 PM, bitchroast said:

got the MiSTer setup and running. MiSTer is so much fun ?

big issue with it is .. documentation is a bit sparse and all over the place. you really need to sink time into reading the main wiki, but then also because it's all so in development and in flux, you kind of want to be reading the forums and community side of things as well because there's a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes that makes improvements that you wouldn't know about otherwise. things to improve the scaling and output resolutions and speeds.. documentation is all over the place or non exististant and you really need to spend time digging around to get things set up properly. also things like... the NES core seems to be saving (tested Zelda 1 save file) but SNES core isn't saving... so i need to look into that. setting up 2 players on some of the cores is really fiddly and can get wires crossed pretty easily and need to look into that. the NES core can seemingly boot FDS games but i couldn't get any of the files to run (.... so i need to look into that). yoshi's island seems to run okay but then i got to the bit where you go "behind/inside" a cave, and the wall disappears to reveal more level.. and for whatever reason this was flipped around and the wall was appearing/disappearing in the reverse fashion... lots of little bugs and inaccuracies pop up during testing different games. 

having said all that, it's still really cool and fun playing around with the different cores. having the NES core running, and then you just press F12 to access the list of available cores that you've (pretty much drag and drop) installed onto the SD card.. and booting into a new core is instant. booting into a rom file is pretty instant. 

i don't have a rasberry pi set up to compare to.. but comparing the MiSTer NES and SNES cores, to the emulators i've got on Nintendo Switch (Nintendo Switch Online, Megaman Legacy Collection).. and the MiSTer is notably more responsive and has seemingly a whole layer of input lag taken out of the equation. it looks and sounds crisper too. like you can tinker with the scaling options on the NES core on the MiSTer and get it looks really crystal clear super sharp.. and then you compare it back to what the Switch emulators are outputting.... and it looks like comparing a compressed JPG to a PNG file. 

it's really cool stuff ? very addicting just getting lost looking at file after file. 

I haven't paid much attention to this stuff until recently, and I just discovered my SNES has the dead CPU (I THINK, I haven't tried RF out yet but I'm not hopeful) and since I never owned one as a kid and only have 4 or 5 games that came with the free one the video store where I worked in college was throwing out, I'm not sure if it's worth replacing.  I was planning to get an Everdrive or something for it in the fall (all of my money until then is earmarked for a synth building project) but if the timing's good and the sound is OK this might be a better option.  Is it possible to set it up to use original controllers via GPIO or something instead of usign USB adaters (yeah I know I could Google it)?  That would probably eliminate most of the lag if you can get it working with a fast monitor (which I don't have).

OTOH the main reason I had the SNES around to begin with was to record live video from a Gameboy camera through a Super Gameboy adapter, so maybe I should just spend the $20-$30 to replace it.  Trouble is finding a working console on its own (don't need PSU or controllers or anything, just a console that works and is a revision that isn't known for CPU failures, at a fair price), usually they're either untested and questionable, bundled with a bunch of games and accessories I don't want and marked way up, or priced fairly but with really excessive shipping fees (which is a classic tactic - I knew a guy in the record store days who was selling $0.50 bargain bin LPs nobody else considered worth selling on eBay, with $0.01 starting prices and made his entire income on shipping fees even though he sold a lot of the records at a loss relative to what they cost him).  Between that and his wife's income they were able to buy a house and support a family so it was working well at least for a while.