Joyrex

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing [Part II]

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

Thanks. I'll be looking them up. I am more interested in the older games. I tend to enjoy older RPG's since they didn't have it down to a science then and innovate in ways newer rpgs just don't. 

If baldurs gate, or icewind dale etc is your thing I really do recommend tyranny though! 

Quite difficult but I think they nailed that type of gameplay pretty well.

Edited by StephenG

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, StephenG said:

If baldurs gate, or icewind dale etc is your thing I really do recommend tyranny though! 

Quite difficult but I think they nailed that type of gameplay pretty well.

Yeah I watched the trailer, and it's going on my rather short rpg list. I actually haven't played Icewind dale. Which one is the best one? I heard the story isn't all that great but the combat is as fun as Baldur's Gate.

On a non-dnd rpg note I also want to play thru the mother series. At least earthbound.

Edited by Brisbot

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, bitchroast said:

here's quick run down on how to get started started. it's honestly so worth it.. imo. the level of accuracy in running these cores, compared to emulation. you can notice it immediately. and the cost entry point is a little high, but it's not that high compared to the Analogue FPGA commercial products for example, offering much more focused finished products, but not the same level of flexibility. it's also like, with the MiSTer there's no guarantee what the project will look like in a years time, but there's no reason to assume support and interest is going anywhere any time soon + where project currently is today is already really exciting and in a very solid place i think. 

Hide contents

things you need > https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki/How-to-start-with-MiSTer
setup guide > https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki/Setup-Guide

to get started, you need the Terasic DE10-nano
this thing can be purchased from Mouser, Amazon, etc. the DE10 nano comes with power supply and an 8gig SD card (which can obviously be swapped out for something much bigger 🙂

then you need the addon parts, the SDRAM board and I/O board and a powered USB Hub
these add on parts are open sourced and can be purchased from any number of sellers online. https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki/How-to-get-your-own-addon-boards ... i got the above 3 parts and 3D printed case from misteraddons website. RetroShop.pt is another place seems to be selling the additional boards and casing. + people selling directly on atari-forums, people linking to etsy accounts etc... i find the 3D printed case and overall mister package to be pretty small and lightweight, and having the usb hub directly connected to the box makes the whole thing pretty volatile and easy to be knocked around... but it works. 

once you have all the parts.. putting together is pretty straight forward process of clicking things into place, and running the SD card installer and following instructions... it's a bit more fiddly and constantly in flux than something like a rasberry pi, or a MAME solution for arcade, or what have you.. but there's benefits here in using FPGA hardware that make the whole project really exciting and worth tinkering with i reckon. 

Looks like you should be able to use the VGA ouput with the appropriate adapters and a Monoprice 107114 analog component-to-composite converter to output composite video to a CRT without adding any extra lag, which is huge for me (I play a lot of NES and it just doesn't look right with anything other than composite - all of those streams you see people doing with RGB-modded consoles look terrible to me, since the games were designed for composite or RF output and there are a lot of visual effects that don't work right with higher quality formats). If I didn't already have a couple of working consoles and about 50 games I'd be seriously considering one of these now.

Edited by TubularCorporation

19 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

Yeah I watched the trailer, and it's going on my rather short rpg list. I actually haven't played Icewind dale. Which one is the best one? I heard the story isn't all that great but the combat is as fun as Baldur's Gate.

On a non-dnd rpg note I also want to play thru the mother series. At least earthbound.

I just naturally assumed you had played Icewind Dale if you were into Baldur's Gate, sorry! 

They were both really good from what I recall but in all honesty I think it was about 15 years ago I played them - I don't recall being disappointed with either in any way. And they're easy to find for free. You should def play those if you have time!

Posted (edited)

finally picked up beat saber (rift). more fun than i thought it would be. oh, and if anyone here is into VR and has space junkies, hmu 5X265.gif

edit: taipo

Edited by luke viia

Divinity original sin I thoroughly enjoyed. I'm replaying the definitive of dos2 on hard mode with a lone mage at the moment. It's taken me over 25 hours just to beat the first act.

5 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

Looks like you should be able to use the VGA ouput with the appropriate adapters and a Monoprice 107114 analog component-to-composite converter to output composite video to a CRT without adding any extra lag, which is huge for me (I play a lot of NES and it just doesn't look right with anything other than composite - all of those streams you see people doing with RGB-modded consoles look terrible to me, since the games were designed for composite or RF output and there are a lot of visual effects that don't work right with higher quality formats). If I didn't already have a couple of working consoles and about 50 games I'd be seriously considering one of these now.

https://www.retrorgb.com/mister-hdmi-core-now-sub-1-frame-of-lag.html

the hdmi output is seemingly pretty snappy and just subject to tv adding lag it seems. i would like to test the vga outs but my crt is (indefinitely) at my mums

Just finished the final boss fight in the Nightdive remaster of Blood (end of fourth episode...fifth doesn't count). The Cultists will always be the toughest enemies imo. Just one of those bastards can drop you in a split second from full health.

Then decided to try Brigund: Oaxaca. It's rather clunky, but I can see what some say about its similarity to Deus Ex and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.. I'll probably delve into a little more tonight, but will try Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden if I decide I've had enough.

16 hours ago, Brisbot said:

Thanks. I'll be looking them up. I am more interested in the older games. I tend to enjoy older RPG's since they didn't have it down to a science then and innovate in ways newer rpgs just don't. 

Ever play the original Phantasy Star? Absolute all-time classic.

• Like 1

Lapis X Labrinth looks very, very interesting (PS4/Switch):

I cleaned up and added a composite output to an old trashpicked Atari 2600 yesterday and I've been trying to troubleshoot some intermittent video problems and hopefully avoid having to drop $25 on a new TIA chip. In the process of doing that before work this morning I beat E.T.

21 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Lapis X Labrinth looks very, very interesting (PS4/Switch)

Yeah it looks like an action-oriented Disgaea, could be good fun indeed !
I'm currently trying to finish all the games I have on Switch (some of them I barely started), including Disgaea 5 : it was hard for me to get into it but I really like the game for some reason now ! I'm getting close to the end of the main story so I guess this is where the fun begins lol

gives me a seizure just looking at a gameplay video

3 minutes ago, splbt said:

Yeah lol I had the same reaction at first, better read that epilepsy warning carefully :emotawesomepm9:

1 hour ago, splbt said:

1 hour ago, Stock said:

Yeah lol I had the same reaction at first, better read that epilepsy warning carefully :emotawesomepm9:

Yeah, to say the action gets chaotic is an understatement

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2019 at 12:03 AM, bitchroast said:

https://www.retrorgb.com/mister-hdmi-core-now-sub-1-frame-of-lag.html

the hdmi output is seemingly pretty snappy and just subject to tv adding lag it seems. i would like to test the vga outs but my crt is (indefinitely) at my mums

I didn't have anything that could accept HDMI at all until last month, my folks got me a small LCD TV set for my birthday, and it's about the cheapest usable one you can get so I'm sure the lag is pretty bad.

I would love a big CRT but it's getting hard to find them free since everyone started recycling, and the little 14" Commodore monitor is working well so far.  I'm glad I didn't lug it around for nothing the last 7 years.

I think I'd be less picky about lag with SNES games since most of them I've only played emulated and most of them tend to be less twitchy than NES so it doesn't matter as much. TBH I'd probably mostly play Kirby's Dream Course anyhow.

Been thinking about playing through vanilla Doom and Doom II this summer, it's been about 10 years. I don't know if I could deal with using the original keyboard controls though.

Posted (edited)

It had been so long I forgot you could actually remap the keys in the original DOS versions, I thought you were stuck with the default controls that make it really awkward to circle strafe.  Nobody I knew started using WASD until Quake. Thanks for the reminder!

• Like 1

Sweet. Glad Sigil has finally arrived. I'm in dire need of something to look forward to lately.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, ManjuShri said:

this micro mages game looks so incredible. gonna have to buy a rom and try it on my MiSTer :wang: !!! it supports 4 players as well and just in general what the game is doing is very impressive, for NES. 

like when that Commodore 64 version of Super Mario Bros came out and the initial reaction is ??? How the fuck ???

Edited by bitchroast
  • Like 1

Well.... I just finished off Bleed 2. GREAT freakin game! Hard difficulty is crazy good. 

I am now moving onto Isbarah. Sucks that it doesn't have controller support, but after playing a bit - I can totally see why. 

Still though - its kind of funny that I played with keyboard/mouse controls for the last 15 or so years, and after a little over a month with a controller it feels pretty strange going back to the keyboard/mouse setup. 

Does anyone know of some other bullet-hell/shmup + platformer mash-up games? I'm really diggin' the combination of genres. 

• Like 1