IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

1 minute ago, milkface said:

Been playing a bit of Rocket League and Overcooked 2 with friends recently. Started the GTA:SA story again too ?

Rocket League is great, never gets bored unless you burn out on it. Try to play competitive as much as you can, since seasons are rather short and net you some sweet rewards!

Just now, chronical said:

Rocket League is great, never gets bored unless you burn out on it. Try to play competitive as much as you can, since seasons are rather short and net you some sweet rewards!

I've always had trouble really getting into video games so I have around 120 hours over 4 years but it's always great to come back to.

25 minutes ago, Gocab said:

The 1080p service will be free, so I doubt it will be dead on arrival.

There is no free service until 2020.

Until then, you have to pay £120 to even get access, and then it's the monthly subscription on top.

With a small selection of 'included' games.

And the new titles, you have to still actually buy like you would any other game.

And then when Google gets bored of this / realises it doesn't take off, bye bye games you 'bought'

And this is assuming it will actually work on your own connection (which will vary wildly depending on where you are).

Good luck getting this adopted in Australia!

Edited by oscillik
expansion

2020 is only a couple of months away osc, sorry to break it to you. I'm sure most people will be able to stream 1080p content on their smart phones and whatnot. I'm not saying it's awesome, I'm just saying I'm sure there's probably a market for this kind of stuff.

17 minutes ago, Gocab said:

2020 is only a couple of months away osc, sorry to break it to you. I'm sure most people will be able to stream 1080p content on their smart phones and whatnot. I'm not saying it's awesome, I'm just saying I'm sure there's probably a market for this kind of stuff.

Okay.

21 minutes ago, oscillik said:

Okay.

The reality (whether Google wants to face it or not) is here in the US, 1 in 5 American households have internet speeds over 25mbps... the other big thing I don't buy from them is the supposed 40ms latency (I have used a Chromecast Ultra, and I can tell you just streaming a web page with video on it has worse latency than that).

Just now, sunshine recorder said:

cool pad tho

Eh, it's your typical generic controller you see from just about everyone these days... Even Nintendo has copied that design at this point.

13 hours ago, bitchroast said:

i looked at videos of that Switch version and for whatever reason, the work they did to the game just makes it look real disorientating and makes me feel sick. 

The Switch port of Virtua Racing hits the West on June 27.  Is it worth buying?  Does look really clean.

2 hours ago, Joyrex said:

I bet Apple is giggling with glee right now (and furiously writing down what NOT to do with Apple Arcade, LOL)

It’s just another way to monetize all the data centers these big tech companies are spending billions building all over the world. They don’t give a shit about games. 

What’s worrying is if this gains traction then the companies that actually make gaming systems might throw their hat at it. “Hey people just want to play fortnight in a browser window on their toaster so no more PlayStations”

6 hours ago, Joyrex said:

The reality (whether Google wants to face it or not) is here in the US, 1 in 5 American households have internet speeds over 25mbps... the other big thing I don't buy from them is the supposed 40ms latency (I have used a Chromecast Ultra, and I can tell you just streaming a web page with video on it has worse latency than that).

And that's on top of another 40-60ms of latency minimum (probably a lot more) if you use a TV, and not really much better with most monitors. Sounds unplayable to me, for anything that;s fast paced at least.

Edited by TubularCorporation

Stadia and E3 2019? Meh.

All I need anymore are decent indies on Steam or GOG. My laptop has reached the point where it likely won't be able to run any more new AAA titles, and I'm not sure it's worth investing in a new rig just to play new AAA titles.

here’s article from last year beta where people were testing it at home/away from google controlled environment https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/8/17953130/project-stream-game-streaming-assassins-creed-odyssey 

a lot of people from those betas were weirdly enough saying it works totally fine and input lag/delays were never really an issue.. maybe certain types of games are not going to be fine, but it seems *POSSIBLE* that google *might* be delivering something that is totally in line with your average joe schmuck consumer gamer who doesn’t give a shit about differences in milliseconds differences in latency, and the convenience of having a platform where the games have ZERO downloads/updates + sick graphics + library to latest AAA sick looking games... this platform has the potential to win a lot of people over ... if it works as intended. and the beta had people coming out of it saying it works as intended.

bit early to be saying it’s dead on arrival imo ....

5 hours ago, bitchroast said:

here’s article from last year beta where people were testing it at home/away from google controlled environment https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/8/17953130/project-stream-game-streaming-assassins-creed-odyssey 

a lot of people from those betas were weirdly enough saying it works totally fine and input lag/delays were never really an issue.. maybe certain types of games are not going to be fine, but it seems *POSSIBLE* that google *might* be delivering something that is totally in line with your average joe schmuck consumer gamer who doesn’t give a shit about differences in milliseconds differences in latency, and the convenience of having a platform where the games have ZERO downloads/updates + sick graphics + library to latest AAA sick looking games... this platform has the potential to win a lot of people over ... if it works as intended. and the beta had people coming out of it saying it works as intended.

bit early to be saying it’s dead on arrival imo ....

ON ARRIVAL, you have to pay £120 up front to get access. And there aren't that many games available at launch (and no exclusives either).

Considering that you can pay just a little more and get a current gen console and have access to their exclusives and back catalogue, it's kinda dead on arrival.

But I'll wait for everyone to prove me wrong. Just like I'm still waiting for people to prove me wrong on Steam Machines.

13 minutes ago, oscillik said:

ON ARRIVAL, you have to pay £120 up front to get access. And there aren't that many games available at launch (and no exclusives either).

Considering that you can pay just a little more and get a current gen console and have access to their exclusives and back catalogue, it's kinda dead on arrival.

But I'll wait for everyone to prove me wrong. Just like I'm still waiting for people to prove me wrong on Steam Machines.

dead on arrival = implies there's no capacity for it to grow and win market over. it's a brand new, unproven concept. saying it has no back catalogue of games is moot point if, in a year or two's time.. the library fills out as more people hop on board. 

comparing the price point of console to google stradia, are you implying that google stradia is "dead on arrival" compared to consoles, because it's a  cheaper and more affordable option compared to consoles? that connection makes no sense to me. that seems more like an argument for why people will happily opt into trying google stradia = because it's cheaper. in 4 years time, people won't need to upgrade consoles. the iterative nature of PS4 > PS4 Pro > PS5, in tandem with XBOX one > XBOX one S > XBOX one X > next generation XBOX ... is only going to get more and more tiresome for consumers as time goes on. having a subscription platform that gives you access to the latest generation graphics.. without needing to upgrade your outdated "last gen" piece of plastic box... at a price entry point that's CHEAPER than buying a console? 

honestly.. who fucking knows. i'm still keeping my eye on it cos i think if it does work well and isn't totally a bugged out shitty experience for people, this has the chance to win a lot of people over and make interesting shifts to what's happening around how people buy technology and games. >> potentially << !!!

Found this awesome Rogue-like called 'Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead'. I've just recently got into the genre and love how in depth many of these rogue likes can become. Anyone recommend any roguelikes? I definitely prefer really indepth ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisbot said:

Found this awesome Rogue-like called 'Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead'. I've just recently got into the genre and love how in depth many of these rogue likes can become. Anyone recommend any roguelikes? I definitely prefer really indepth ones.

I played a fair bit of Nethack. Cataclysme seems more like Dwarf Fortress in its open ended game play though.

4 hours ago, Brisbot said:

Void Bastards is basically a rogue-like System Shock 2. (Which lends that lineage to more than mere influence.) You can hop across infinitely many derelict spaceships, but it's not necessary to dock onto each one. And when your character gets killed, your story and crafted item progress is still saved, but your dead character is replaced by a different one each time with randomized traits, along with an ammo and supply reset. I could go on, but it's best to just go check it out for yourself.

Just got released about a week ago. And prepare yourself for a bunch of mutated blue assholes, like fedora-wearing tourist blobs that explode when you get too close, as well as floating juvenile chavs.

Edited by ambergonk
  • Like 2

OK, wow, I just watched that CDDA video and the game looks insane! Rimworld is another rogue-like that seems more in line with CDDA. Others but more traditional Nethack-like: SLASH'EM, Tales of Maj'Eyal, Dungeons of Dreadmor, Caves of Qud.