IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

1 hour ago, juiceciuj said:

can't you buy a bigger battery? or was that just on the wiiu?

The Wii U and 3DS batteries were replaceable, I don't believe the Switch is as easy to replace.

I love the Switch but we use it as a home console rather than a handheld so am happy to stick with the current iteration. 

I mainly play mobile games on my phone - Cultist Simulator at the moment.

I do have a window of time coming up in which I could fit in a decent single player game. Am tempted by Sekiro but have heard that even by From’s standards it’s brutal and requires a degree of commitment  that I don’t think I can rise to. 

20 hours ago, bitchroast said:

huh. 

*that's* the revision ?

Nah, that's the same kind of "revision" as when the PS4 got a quieter fan. People are just idiots and a spin stories out of thin air. Nintendo didn't even announce this on Twitter. Instead they highlighted their new purple, green, blue, and yellow Joycons. They've simply upgraded to the new Tegra Mariko chip which is capable of longer battery life and a slightly improved performance.

1 minute ago, Squee said:

Nah, that's the same kind of "revision" as when the PS4 got a quieter fan. People are just idiots and a spin stories out of thin air. Nintendo didn't even announce this on Twitter. Instead they highlighted their new purple, green, blue, and yellow Joycons. They've simply upgraded to the new Tegra Mariko chip which is capable of longer battery life and a slightly improved performance.

good point. the other thing that stood out is the packaging yelling "TV MODE!!!" with the giant tv in the background, for when it's displayed next to the Switch lite at stores.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Squee said:

So every time Nvidia upgrades the Shield chipset, Nintendo basically gets a free CPU SoC upgrade if they want it?

7 hours ago, Squee said:

Do you think with miniscule performance improvements developers would aim at a stable 30FPS on the new CPU instead of the old one? The Switch performs bad enough as it is, it's basically a glorified 2015 smartphone.

2 hours ago, chronical said:

Do you think with miniscule performance improvements developers would aim at a stable 30FPS on the new CPU instead of the old one? The Switch performs bad enough as it is, it's basically a glorified 2015 smartphone.

Yeah 60fps should be a requirement for Switch games, at least docked.  If the Switch Lite is a hit, I can see HD Rumble dying quickly.

It seems resolution is all developers/console manufacturers care about. 1080p is sufficient, give me sweet FPS and no lag.

On 7/19/2019 at 4:00 AM, Squee said:

And it should conveniently kill any current/future mod prospects for the Switch, since the flaw that allowed it was in the SoC itself and Nintendo couldn't patch it without a hardware revision (and lo, here it is)

Just finished the original System Shock. (Nightdive Enhanced Edition)

It's the first time I've done so in 24 years. I think I'll get back into SS2 soon as well, as Aug 11 will be its 20th anniversary.

Plus there are at least two confirmed upcoming additions to the franchise - one being the Nightdive Studios remake next year, and the official SS3 on Unity engine, by the original Looking Glass Studios executive producer, Warren Spector - also involved in creating the original Deus Ex.

• Like 1

Apparently there's a class action lawsuit against Nintendo over "JoyCon drift" (the analogue sticks on the Switch JoyCons tend to keep moving even when not touching them, causing your movements onscreen to "drift"

8 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Apparently there's a class action lawsuit against Nintendo over "JoyCon drift" (the analogue sticks on the Switch JoyCons tend to keep moving even when not touching them, causing your movements onscreen to "drift"

This is happening with my pro controller, and it's so frustrating. This is the first game I've played with it, so it's not a wear and tear issue.

14 hours ago, Joyrex said:

But, I thought Nintendo could do no wrong?…

Decided to give Nightmare Reaper a go last night. P cool so far.

New trailer just came out for Wolfenstein: Youngblood less than an hour ago. But I'm not gonna pre-order games anymore. I'll see what the reviews are like first once it's out.

These days I gravitate primarily towards old school and indies. I've become increasingly wary of the AAA sector this year, because of greedy execs and investors, as well as the Epic Games Store. Not too keen on Google Stadia either.

3 hours ago, oscillik said:

But, I thought Nintendo could do no wrong?…

Oh, I'm not the Nintendo fanboy - the Switch is honestly the first thing they've done right in some time IMO...

That being said, Nintendo will fix your JoyCons for FREE, and will be refunding recent repairs. So good on them for making things right.

6 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Oh, I'm not the Nintendo fanboy - the Switch is honestly the first thing they've done right in some time IMO...

That being said, Nintendo will fix your JoyCons for FREE, and will be refunding recent repairs. So good on them for making things right.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/340673-rumor-nintendo-will-be-fixing-switch-joy-con-drift-issues-for-f

9 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

From what I've read, they've only just started responding to it. It's been an issue plaguing Switch consoles since launch. They're doing the very least they should be doing, and they're doing it pretty late. On top of that, there's also no guarantee that the new Switch Mini or whatever it's called will be free from the same defect — considering that they're only just publicly acknowledging the problem, I would guess that it's going to affect the new console too.

They're not the only major conglomerate company to act like this (fucking looking at you, Apple, you fucks) but I'm sure there'll still be plenty of people ready to suck Nintendo's dick in exactly a week's time or less.

5 minutes ago, oscillik said:

From what I've read, they've only just started responding to it. It's been an issue plaguing Switch consoles since launch. They're doing the very least they should be doing, and they're doing it pretty late. On top of that, there's also no guarantee that the new Switch Mini or whatever it's called will be free from the same defect — considering that they're only just publicly acknowledging the problem, I would guess that it's going to affect the new console too.

They're not the only major conglomerate company to act like this (fucking looking at you, Apple, you fucks) but I'm sure there'll still be plenty of people ready to suck Nintendo's dick in exactly a week's time or less.

RE: response time - it depends on how long it took (or is taking) for them to definitively diagnose the issue, and more importantly, find a fix that properly remediates the problem. With a company with a public face like Nintendo, they have to tread very carefully with these things to ensure they get it right the first time (*ahem*, Apple and keyboards) so they don't damage their reputation for quality, and more importantly, satisfy their customers.

I would assume that if they know what the issue is now, the Switch Lite will not suffer the same problem. I didn't know if affected Pro Controllers as well - I thought this was something specific to JoyCons.

Finally finished Breath of the Wild. Amazing game. So much variety. I tried to do everything, but started having trouble finding the last shrines, so gave up. Fight with Ganon wasn't nearly as cool as Ocarina of Time though.

Only frustrating part is my new pro controller has the drift problem everyone has been talking about.

On 7/26/2019 at 2:16 AM, onecaseman said:

Finally finished Breath of the Wild. Amazing game. So much variety. I tried to do everything, but started having trouble finding the last shrines, so gave up. Fight with Ganon wasn't nearly as cool as Ocarina of Time though.

Only frustrating part is my new pro controller has the drift problem everyone has been talking about.

.. i think the pro controller >is not< what everyone is referring to, and that issue is more specific to joycons. for me, distance from switch to joycons plays a big part (ie. over 3m and forget it). but pro controller is generally fine. (((edit::: seems this isn't what Joycon drift is.. and this is just joycons being joycons). 

nintendo generally have pretty good customer support if you call them. or maybe try a replacement from where you got it from ?

Edited by bitchroast
  • Like 1

I can't be arsed to look it up, but is the 'drift' issue a mechanical one (e.g., the components in the analogue sticks are failing) or is it software-related, or does it have to do with the wireless tech (presumably some form of Bluetooth or proprietary 2.4 Ghz)?