IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

On 7/27/2019 at 1:00 AM, Joyrex said:

I can't be arsed to look it up, but is the 'drift' issue a mechanical one (e.g., the components in the analogue sticks are failing) or is it software-related, or does it have to do with the wireless tech (presumably some form of Bluetooth or proprietary 2.4 Ghz)?

"Joy-Con drift is an issue that Switch owners have been encountering over the last few months that causes the analog sticks on the controllers to randomly move around and input commands to the console, even when they’re not being physically moved. PHANTOM INPUTS Anecdotally, the issue seems to affect left Joy-Con controllers (which tend to be used for movement in most games) more than the right half of the controller set. Although, there are reports of users experiencing it on both joysticks."

hardware.

been playing the Dank Souls remaster for the last month or so, currently nearing the end of NG+. last night I died no less than 7 times to the Bed of Chaos, mostly by being swept off a ledge randomly. most bullshit boss fight ever lol.

this was my first go at really experiencing DS1 properly, prior to this I'd only played bits on friends' PS4s here and there and that was 6-7 years ago. I'd heard all about how bad Blighttown was but honestly it wasn't as bad as the Tomb of Giants, that place was awful. even more so because I went straight there in my first game thinking that was the only way I could really go so I was a fresh little nooblet facing gigantic skeledoggos in pitch blackness.

my worst death so far has been losing 130k+ souls and 9 humanity because I underestimated taking on 3 of those lightning bois in the Valley of Drakes at once while rushing to get back to New Londo from a previous death (why tf is there no bonfire in all of New Londo?).

On 7/28/2019 at 10:55 PM, usagi said:

been playing the Dank Souls remaster for the last month or so, currently nearing the end of NG+. last night I died no less than 7 times to the Bed of Chaos, mostly by being swept off a ledge randomly. most bullshit boss fight ever lol.

this was my first go at really experiencing DS1 properly, prior to this I'd only played bits on friends' PS4s here and there and that was 6-7 years ago. I'd heard all about how bad Blighttown was but honestly it wasn't as bad as the Tomb of Giants, that place was awful. even more so because I went straight there in my first game thinking that was the only way I could really go so I was a fresh little nooblet facing gigantic skeledoggos in pitch blackness.

my worst death so far has been losing 130k+ souls and 9 humanity because I underestimated taking on 3 of those lightning bois in the Valley of Drakes at once while rushing to get back to New Londo from a previous death (why tf is there no bonfire in all of New Londo?).

lol I'm playing thru the original DS 1 as well. This is my third attempt at doing so because my computer always gets screwed up and i lose my progress. Anyway I'm about a quarter thru the game, and I've only had a handful of deaths, all except one attributed to %&#$ ledges or just environmental deaths.

On 7/29/2019 at 1:55 PM, usagi said:

Blight town sucks for a few reasons. There's the pain in the butt enemies, from poison shooting blow darts to dudes with giant clubs knocking you off (the poison and toxin is not too bad but can really screw players over if they're not prepared for it). I think blight town also has some of the longest stretch of gameplay without bonfires.. you really have to absorb yourself in that stretch of level if you want to get in and out. And of course, the biggest thing was always the framerate (which was fixed in the re-release). I think the framerate is a big one that made the level a lot more approachable in the re-release.. but the long stretch of level without bonfire and that feeling of being trapped down there probably also plays into a psychological reason for why people like to complain about it more than other levels. 

^ longest stretch with no bonfires would have to be New Londo though. not one bonfire, you have to hustle all the way back from Firelink if you die.

re Blighttown, you can skip most of the painful bits if you take the Valley of the Drakes shortcut innit. for my speedier NG+ run (I was just trying to get all the boss soul weapons to 100% the game) I did just that. playing in fully dark areas where you need your own light on the other hand... the Tomb of Giants, some sections of the Catacombs leading to the Tomb of Giants, New Londo... all those were super tense. idk about you but I will always prioritise being able to bloody see over avoiding annoying enemies. similarly intense was the Four Kings fight itself at the end of New Londo which takes place in a pitch black void with multiplying enemies surrounding you, my heart would be pounding by the end of it.

anyway I 100%'d it a few nights ago (From are sadistic, they made it so you have to kill Sif more times than any other boss to get all the boss soul weapons ?) I'm (re)playing DS2 SotFS now.

honestly i'd say 3. it's the most solid and has least bullshit. 

altho 1 (and demons souls) have special place in my heart for being so unique and fresh when they came out. dark souls 3 definitely did not feel fresh, being a long time fan. but if you've only played 1.. that probably won't be as much a problem. 

also bloodborne on ps4 rules. 

2 hours ago, usagi said:

^ longest stretch with no bonfires would have to be New Londo though. not one bonfire, you have to hustle all the way back from Firelink if you die.

re Blighttown, you can skip most of the painful bits if you take the Valley of the Drakes shortcut innit. for my speedier NG+ run (I was just trying to get all the boss soul weapons to 100% the game) I did just that. playing in fully dark areas where you need your own light on the other hand... the Tomb of Giants, some sections of the Catacombs leading to the Tomb of Giants, New Londo... all those were super tense. idk about you but I will always prioritise being able to bloody see over avoiding annoying enemies. similarly intense was the Four Kings fight itself at the end of New Londo which takes place in a pitch black void with multiplying enemies surrounding you, my heart would be pounding by the end of it.

anyway I 100%'d it a few nights ago (From are sadistic, they made it so you have to kill Sif more times than any other boss to get all the boss soul weapons ?) I'm (re)playing DS2 SotFS now.

enjoying 2? i need to replay it. but dunno if it'll ever happen. 

also.. the bonfire at top of blight town isn't connected to much. if you want to back out and try something else, you have to traverse through the depths. if you make it to the bottom of blight town bonfire, you're pretty much stuck there until you traverse your way out of blighttown again. new londo ruins is connected to firelink shrine and you're never 'trapped' in there. new londo also has shortcuts in the form of ladders and lifts you can activate. blighttown fucking sucks. 

10 minutes ago, bitchroast said:

honestly i'd say 3. it's the most solid and has least bullshit. 

altho 1 (and demons souls) have special place in my heart for being so unique and fresh when they came out. dark souls 3 definitely did not feel fresh, being a long time fan. but if you've only played 1.. that probably won't be as much a problem. 

also bloodborne on ps4 rules. 

My biggest gripe with DS1 is the movement, which leads to the almost random deaths by falling. I do like the whole 'once you commit to an attack you can't take it back' thing.

Is Demon Souls worth playing? I think it would be best to play the DS games in order. It may feel weird to go from DS3 to Demon Souls. I got on the Dank Souls bandwagon super late myself, and think DS1 is a sweet game. The atmosphere reminds me of Resident Evil 4 at times.

If you can enjoy Dark Souls 1, you can enjoy Demons Souls. Demons Souls is PS3 only and the servers have been shut down which is both a massive bummer (altho when i played it, the servers were pretty much dead anyway so same difference really.. but the few instances were i bumped into people was ofc really fun). whether or not you wanna play it is a tough one. 

Demons Souls rules. it's like proto-dark souls. 

i got invaded by someone in demons souls and they pretty much just slaughtered me. and then i instantly got a playstation private message from them apologising and explaining they were just trying to get certain bits of clothing and items lol 

11 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

My biggest gripe with DS1 is the movement, which leads to the almost random deaths by falling. I do like the whole 'once you commit to an attack you can't take it back' thing.

Is Demon Souls worth playing? I think it would be best to play the DS games in order. It may feel weird to go from DS3 to Demon Souls. I got on the Dank Souls bandwagon super late myself, and think DS1 is a sweet game. The atmosphere reminds me of Resident Evil 4 at times.

Dark Souls 1 has locked rolling where you can only roll in 8 directions ( i think i'm getting this right) (looks like it's... 4 directional rolling while locked on.. or something) and dark souls 2 onwards, lets you roll in any direction. they definitely fix up the movement in later games. 

Edited by bitchroast

there's also a noticeable difference in dark souls 3 where a lot of areas are just a lot wider and accommodate for more movement and lots of players. like they realised, having an online game with lots of players and areas with tiny walkways where you can fall off and die isn't good design. 

we agree Blighttown sucks, regardless of how much it sucks in comparison to other areas.

DS2 was my first proper full playthrough so I have soft spot for it. it's also really good-looking with more diverse and interesting environments, a major step up from DS1. I put about 220 hours into it in when I first played it in 2015, that was how slow I took it and how much I enjoyed just being in the world.

rolling in DS1 was completely borked I found, so I went for a tankier build. I really appreciate now how much more fluid and snappy things are in DS2 and 3. there were also many instances in DS1 of simply getting stuck on invisible edges and knocked off by a single misstep which I don't recall ever happening in the later games.

I've just made it to blight town in my current playthru. I've never made it this far. Suddenly I'm reluctant to play, knowing there is rage in my future. lol. Quick question, when is the best time to use my humanity to reverse hollow/kindle? Before bosses? I know in the future I'll probably start dying more from the enemies so I imagine I'm just saving up humanity for no good reason.

11 hours ago, bitchroast said:

Dark Souls 1 has locked rolling where you can only roll in 8 directions ( i think i'm getting this right) (looks like it's... 4 directional rolling while locked on.. or something) and dark souls 2 onwards, lets you roll in any direction. they definitely fix up the movement in later games. 

I've died several times because of the janky rolling. Just today I rolled into this tiny crack in this staircase just big enough for the character to fall through. Then came back, got my humanity and whatnot, then the enemy at the top of the staircase hit me, and I fell like a magnet right into the crack again.

humanity is a limited resource.. but think about how much you have and average that out to the rest of the game, cos you’ll keep stumbling onto it. the game gives you humanity for you to use, so use it. it’s pretty much best used when you need a helping hand for bosses (extra health + can summon people to help (npc or online)). also for example.. the game gives you humanity as a usable item, but the game also gives you “soft humanity” which just automatically adds a +1 to your top left counter. the game gives you soft humanity randomly when you kill enemies in an area where you haven’t killed the boss.

• Like 1

Sweet. Yeah the whole recovering health with humanity thing is part of the reason why I'm compelled to save them up. Hmm. how much humanity would you think is too much to have on you at once? Since I'm bound to die twice in a row and lose your souls/humanity a lot now that I'm in unexplored territory. Especially in blight town. I feel like I should just keep using them since I have a lot.

Edited by Brisbot

yeah i was never good at stacking up humanity and souls on account of dying 2 times in a row a bunch. it’s no biggy.

blight town your biggest enemy is falling off shaky footings so don’t bother using humanity unless you get to a boss. 

Just now, bitchroast said:

yeah i was never good at stacking up humanity and souls on account of dying 2 times in a row a bunch. it’s no biggy.

Having 15 flasks is really compelling, especially for bosses. Though I suppose if I make it to a boss I'm having trouble with I could just farm it. Which is the least fun aspect of any game.

ohhh yeah. using humanity to boost a bonfire is totally a good idea, cos the fire will stay turbo lit even if you die

you *can* farm humanity in the sewers. the rats drop em. you can also get humanity engaging in online (laying down the white soap stone and helping online people kill a boss) but not sure how reliable that method is atm.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bitchroast said:

ohhh yeah. using humanity to boost a bonfire is totally a good idea, cos the fire will stay turbo lit even if you die

you *can* farm humanity in the sewers. the rats drop em. you can also get humanity engaging in online (laying down the white soap stone and helping online people kill a boss) but not sure how reliable that method is atm.

lol, the rats drop humanity. Last question, does the humanity sitting in your inventory determine how boosted the 'item discovery rate' is? Or do you have to use it in some way?