IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

i've heard of all those games except fantasy zone (looked it up and it doesn't even look familiar). actually, might play some ghost & ghouls on the snes mini right now

3 hours ago, yekker said:

That's not the Japanese version of the console is it? My friend had the system growing up and his looked just like that.

wiki says.. TurboGrafx-16, known in Japan and France as the PC Engine. the TurboGrafx16 was the black one. i'm thinking your friend had a PC Engine maybe?

Edited by bitchroast

10 minutes ago, bitchroast said:

how anyone in the 90s had anything other than a Nintendo or Sega is utterly foreign and confusing to me.. 

it confused me as well ?

17 minutes ago, bitchroast said:

how anyone in the 90s had anything other than a Nintendo or Sega is utterly foreign and confusing to me.. 

I grew up on Commodore 64 and DOS games on x86 PCs in the 90s. With occasional Nintendo on the side.

8 hours ago, ambergonk said:

I grew up on Commodore 64 and DOS games on x86 PCs in the 90s. With occasional Nintendo on the side.

Systems I grew up on, in order of use:

Acorn Electron
Image result for acorn electron

Atari 2600 (aka 2600 jr)
Image result for atari 2600

Nintendo Entertainment System
Image result for nes

Commodore Amiga 500 and 1200
Image result for amiga 500
Image result for amiga 1200

Sega Mega Drive
Image result for uk sega mega drive

Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Image result for snes

Commodore Amiga CD32
Image result for amiga cd32

Sony Playstation
Image result for playstation 1

And then, various 386, 486, Pentium PCs that I scrabbled together. All these were systems I used before leaving school (16 here in the UK)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oscillik said:

Systems I grew up on, in order of use:

Acorn Electron
Image result for acorn electron

Atari 2600 (aka 2600 jr)
Image result for atari 2600

Nintendo Entertainment System
Image result for nes

Commodore Amiga 500 and 1200
Image result for amiga 500
Image result for amiga 1200

Sega Mega Drive
Image result for uk sega mega drive

Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Image result for snes

Commodore Amiga CD32
Image result for amiga cd32

Sony Playstation
Image result for playstation 1

And then, various 386, 486, Pentium PCs that I scrabbled together. All these were systems I used before leaving school (16 here in the UK)

Acorn...interesting. I remember Sean Booth wearing an Acorn T-shirt the night Sweepstakes and I met him right after the AE_LIVE Portland show.

3 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

Acorn...interesting. I remember Sean Booth wearing an Acorn T-shirt the night Sweepstakes and I met him right after the AE_LIVE Portland show.

If I remember rightly, the Acorn Electron was basically a consumer version of the BBC Micro, which Acorn Computers also manufactured. It ran BASIC, and I had to load games from tapes (like you do with the ZX Spectrum).

ARM is something to do with Acorn Computers, too…so yeah, pretty interesting.

13 hours ago, Tim_J said:

finished monkey island 1 and realized i don't really like it... some solutions are too damn nonsense... just like simon the sorcerer... 

now, full throttle is another thing, really digging replaying it:

You don’t think searching for the right rock to kick at the right time is nonsense?

Monkey Island 1 and 2 are two beautiful pieces of art. 

• Thanks 1

i didn't get to that part yet, and i don't remember it... maybe it is as nonsense as monkey island i dunno... still, i didn't enjoy it very much... another one i really liked was day of the tentacle... now that i think of it i'm gonna replay manic mansion...

i can't go on with full throttle, i'm playing it on a phone on android and the driving/fighting sequence is impossible to play just with the touch screen... :^(

Edited by Tim_J

I've been playing the original System Shock (Nightdive's Enhanced Edition) the last few days. The awkward, complex control scheme can be confusing at first, but for being from 1994 it was years ahead of its time. It's actually making more sense to me now than it did when I first played it at the age of 10.

26 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

I've been playing the original System Shock (Nightdive's Enhanced Edition) the last few days. The awkward, complex control scheme can be confusing at first, but for being from 1994 it was years ahead of its time. It's actually making more sense to me now than it did when I first played it at the age of 10.

What did you think of the most recent Prey game? Hands down one of my favorite games in the last... 15 years? So, so good imo… Only bring it up as it's more system shock than it is Prey (the original I mean...).

5 minutes ago, StephenG said:

What did you think of the most recent Prey game? Hands down one of my favorite games in the last... 15 years? So, so good imo… Only bring it up as it's more system shock than it is Prey (the original I mean...).

It's the closest non-System Shock game to System Shock. (I would argue even more so than Bioshock.) And while I've never played the 2006 Prey, I feel like the 2017 one by Arkane (makers of Dishonored) has a lot of parallel to the original System Shock. (Talos I orbits the Moon, just like Citadel Station orbits Saturn, etc.) Hell, you can even traverse zero-gravity environments, much like cyberspace in SS1. And the Looking Glass reference in Prey is a dead giveaway.

BTW have you tried Void Bastards? It's basically a comic book, rogue-like System Shock 2. (Even with overlapping developers.) New DLC is coming soon too from what I've heard.

Switch with longer battery life coming in August:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-07-17-new-nintendo-switch-version-will-have-longer-battery-life

"Switch hardware units with the model number HAC-001(01) and serial numbers beginning with XKW will have the extended battery life."

The revised system is identifiable by the new box art:

IMG_5594.JPG

The final Splatfest for Splatoon 2 begins today,  Chaos vs. Order, and runs for 72 hours. Sad to see the events end, but what a way to go out.  Snag some free drink tickets in the Switch News App as well.

IMG_5624.JPG

20 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Switch with longer battery life coming in August:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-07-17-new-nintendo-switch-version-will-have-longer-battery-life

"Switch hardware units with the model number HAC-001(01) and serial numbers beginning with XKW will have the extended battery life."

The revised system is identifiable by the new box art:

huh. 

*that's* the revision ?