IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

OK so after a few minutes playing : you can choose between a "modern" version (with a tutorial for the different moves and the ability to rewind your gameplay when you die) or the 1993 original.

And the 1993 original version has the original Megadrive OST so I'm a happy man ! The SFX are different so its not 100% the same thing but still !

• Like 2

I wasn't enjoying The Outer Wilds, so I just watched the rest of Youtube to see the story. There's something really frustrating about an exploration game with time limits, especially when the controls are so clunky.

I started Days Gone, and I like it so far.

I just finished shenmue 3, which is the only Kickstarter project I've backed because I really loved the original 2 on the Dreamcast 20 years ago.

It ended with "to be continued..." and a note saying yu suzuki hopes to be able to make shenmue 4.....

I googled shenmue 4.....not confirmed...no news about it.

Livid. What the fuck. Why didn't he just wrap it up if he wasn't sure he'd be able to do ANOTHER sequel. Cunt. Cunt cunt cunt.

(absolutely loved it btw)

• Like 2

I'm playing Celeste. I'm loving it. Very challenging, but it just comes together extremely fresh and emotional, which is strange for a platformer.

It's interesting, because when I first saw it, I immediately thought about Jumper, a very old game made in Game Maker which was the shizznit 15 years ago on Game Maker forums... Well, later I read that it's the same dude who made both of these games. Crazy how some people have such a strong distinctive feel.

7 hours ago, Dpek said:

I'm playing Celeste. I'm loving it. Very challenging, but it just comes together extremely fresh and emotional, which is strange for a platformer.

It's interesting, because when I first saw it, I immediately thought about Jumper, a very old game made in Game Maker which was the shizznit 15 years ago on Game Maker forums... Well, later I read that it's the same dude who made both of these games. Crazy how some people have such a strong distinctive feel.

It's challenging but doesn't feel impossible. Really good, agreed. 

On 4/20/2020 at 10:16 PM, Joyrex said:

I cancelled my preorder when I realized I had no compelling reason to (re)play this.

Unlike you, I have a good reason to replay it because as much as it hurts me to say it,

Spoiler

I never beat Sephiroth. 

The way I remember it, the constant onslaught of random fights got on my nerves and I began to bail on most of them to make progress with the story, so that when I reached the end I was too weak from lack of fighting. ? I meant to go back and train myself for the boss fight of boss fights, but then I got high or something and never finished the game. So I've still got a bone to pick with good old Sephi, and I've been sort of waiting for an opprtunity, but now that's finally available, I just saw a video review, and now I'm kind of afraid to play it. It just doesn't look very appealing to me, not like the game I loved so much back then (well, apart from the gazillion random fights). To me, it looks like they disposed of its charm and turned it into just another live action game. I think I expected some retro feel, but the spirit seems to be gone. It just looks too modern to me, if that makes sense. I bet it's still a great game, but to my own surprise, I'm not really interested in it, and apparently it's just the first section of the original too, which wouldn't really help me in my quest for revenge anyway 

Is there a port of the original somewhere for PS3 or PS4? I might just play that. Or perhaps I'll dust off the PS1, look for the old memory cards, pick up where I left decades ago and start manning and  leveling up. I need closure.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IDEM said:

Unlike you, I have a good reason to replay it because as much as it hurts me to say it,

Hide contents

I never beat Sephiroth. 

The way I remember it, the constant onslaught of random fights got on my nerves and I began to bail on most of them to make progress with the story, so that when I reached the end I was too weak from lack of fighting. ? I meant to go back and train myself for the boss fight of boss fights, but then I got high or something and never finished the game. So I've still got a bone to pick with good old Sephi, and I've been sort of waiting for an opprtunity, but now that's finally available, I just saw a video review, and now I'm kind of afraid to play it. It just doesn't look very appealing to me, not like the game I loved so much back then (well, apart from the gazillion random fights). To me, it looks like they disposed of its charm and turned it into just another live action game. I think I expected some retro feel, but the spirit seems to be gone. It just looks too modern to me, if that makes sense. I bet it's still a great game, but to my own surprise, I'm not really interested in it, and apparently it's just the first section of the original too, which wouldn't really help me in my quest for revenge anyway 

Is there a port of the original somewhere for PS3 or PS4? I might just play that. Or perhaps I'll dust off the PS1, look for the old memory cards, pick up where I left decades ago and start manning and  leveling up. I need closure.

I played FF7 for about 18 months, beat the extra weapons bosses, but couldn't get thru Sephiroth's crater, it kicked my ass.

16 hours ago, IDEM said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, I believe it is available for PS4 for like 8 bucks - go finish it there, because it is going to be a LONG time (I'm thinking 2024-25 before they finish this "remake" at the pace they're going).

Anyone who doesn't have a NEO·GEO Mini console for their retro mini console collection can pick one up on Amazon now for $30.00: https://www.amazon.com/NEOGEO-Mini-International-electronics-games/dp/B07D1KN661

Streets of Rage 4 is a must play really.

Been a fan for a while, I spent hours and hours beating the first three games with a friend of mine few years ago so we discovered together this new game and we really weren't disappointed. Took us 3 or 4 hours to beat the game a first time, but we are already training ourselves to beat our high score lol.

The music is on point too as well, and it runs flawlessly on Switch !

Edited by Stock
  • Like 3

Played some Jedi Academy on Switch yesterday, there's a surprising number of people doing online lightsaber battles.  They patched out the PC players that were griefing everyone.

On 5/1/2020 at 7:11 AM, Stock said:

Streets of Rage 4 is a must play really.

Been a fan for a while, I spent hours and hours beating the first three games with a friend of mine few years ago so we discovered together this new game and we really weren't disappointed. Took us 3 or 4 hours to beat the game a first time, but we are already training ourselves to beat our high score lol.

The music is on point too as well, and it runs flawlessly on Switch !

It also got added to xbox game pass* on day one!

*PC anyway, idk about xbox proper

Ok WATMM, need your input. Considering and impulse buy of either Sekiro or Doom: Eternal. I know, almost diametrically opposed game styles, but here we are. Straw poll time: which would you choose? Bonus points: why?

You hold the fate of my evening/weekend in your hands!

4 hours ago, T3551ER said:

Ok WATMM, need your input. Considering and impulse buy of either Sekiro or Doom: Eternal. I know, almost diametrically opposed game styles, but here we are. Straw poll time: which would you choose? Bonus points: why?

I only played Doom Eternal, but if you like Dark Souls, then I'm pretty sure either one would work for you.

Even though I managed to finish it, Doom Eternal was a bit over-the-top for me personally, not to mention being sullied by at least two major unexplained plot changes from Doom 2016. And the platforming/parkour between arena brawls felt out of place to me for a Doom game. Plus you're super limited on Shotgun ammo. But they did improve the Plasma Gun. Not sure if I'll play it again though.

But that's just my personal take. It felt a bit polarizing to me overall, but there's still the possibility that you'd enjoy it more than I did.

6 hours ago, T3551ER said:

sekiro hands down. it was my 2019 goty and is vying for my fav FROM game. the game is going to kick your ass until you master deflecting tho.

• Like 1

Has anyone seen the recent leaks for The Last of Us 2? Apparently, the story and certain characters are considered "controversial" and have gotten a lot of flak from gamers ... Dunno why, as I try to avoid major spoilers, but I guess it might have to do with the female lead? I'm still looking forward to it and hope it gets released soon; Naughty Dog games are pretty much the only must-haves for me these days.

Sorry if this has been discussed, haven"t been following the thread.

8 hours ago, timbre monke said:

I only played Doom Eternal, but if you like Dark Souls, then I'm pretty sure either one would work for you.

Even though I managed to finish it, Doom Eternal was a bit over-the-top for me personally, not to mention being sullied by at least two major unexplained plot changes from Doom 2016. And the platforming/parkour between arena brawls felt out of place to me for a Doom game. Plus you're super limited on Shotgun ammo. But they did improve the Plasma Gun. Not sure if I'll play it again though.

But that's just my personal take. It felt a bit polarizing to me overall, but there's still the possibility that you'd enjoy it more than I did.

7 hours ago, whylessness said:

sekiro hands down. it was my 2019 goty and is vying for my fav FROM game. the game is going to kick your ass until you master deflecting tho.

Cheers! I ended going w Sekiro. So far, it's great. Punishing at times, but not surprised - never actually played any From Software titles but I know Jedi: Fallen Order borrows liberally from the play mechanics, so know it's a matter of deep learning mixed with reflexes that carries the day.  

I think what has sold me is the atmosphere. There is something that feels very deep and ancient about the setting - in some ways makes me think of team Ico games, or, perhaps, playing through an anime.

Love that the game defaults to Japanese as the spoken language too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, T3551ER said:

Cheers! I ended going w Sekiro. So far, it's great. Punishing at times, but not surprised - never actually played any From Software titles but I know Jedi: Fallen Order borrows liberally from the play mechanics, so know it's a matter of deep learning mixed with reflexes that carries the day.  

I think what has sold me is the atmosphere. There is something that feels very deep and ancient about the setting - in some ways makes me think of team Ico games, or, perhaps, playing through an anime.

You'd also enjoy Hyper Light Drifter I think. It's from 2016, but it incorporates that same vein of combat style. If you're on PC though I highly recommend a USB controller.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, T3551ER said:

I had to give up on it. I love the atmosphere and the mechanics too (love stealth), but kept getting my ass kicked by some of the bosses. May get back to it at some point.

1 hour ago, timbre monke said:

You'd also enjoy Hyper Light Drifter I think. It's from 2016, but it incorporates that same vein of combat style. If you're on PC though I highly recommend a USB controller.

Ta. Will take a look!

55 minutes ago, onecaseman said:

I had to give up on it. I love the atmosphere and the mechanics too (love stealth), but kept getting my ass kicked by some of the bosses. May get back to it at some point.

Yeah, my read through this topic suggests a lot of people hit a frustration point which puts them off from finishing. Will see - already hit an early mini-mini boss that I died at like 12 times last night. ...