IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Yeah, it's all about gory dismemberment by VATS, so satisfying.

All this Fallout talk...might be time to get FO3 back out. Almost seven years later I still never completely tire of it.

And yes, VATS is still awesome. Very handy when you need to turn Feral Ghouls' heads into spaghetti sauce.

Fallout / Elder Scrolls games feel like really pretty digital dioramas, in the sense that they're beautiful to watch but the interaction is very limited. All the characters look like plastic mannequins. I dunno. There's little to no immersion/interactivity in those worlds. Kinda like a Disneyland ride.

The graphics don't help either. And the fact that the weapons feel all rubbery, they have no weight.

You know you where supposed to use the VATS system, right? That mechanic made the weapons feel really powerful and satisfying. Playing Fallout 3 like an ordinary shooter isn't the way to play that game.

Oh I must have missed that part on the tutorial that said "please ignore the FPS aspects of this game we dunno how they got in there use VATS all the time thanks"

http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/games/technobabylon/

this was fkn amazing - absolutely solid dystopian cyberpunk future adventure game.

i highly rate all for wadjet eye's games (gemini rue is also pretty amazing - sci-fi noir) but they're not very well known

Ah, it's from the people who did Gemini Rue. I really need to play that game again now that I have an iPad

Fallout / Elder Scrolls games feel like really pretty digital dioramas, in the sense that they're beautiful to watch but the interaction is very limited. All the characters look like plastic mannequins. I dunno. There's little to no immersion/interactivity in those worlds. Kinda like a Disneyland ride.

The graphics don't help either. And the fact that the weapons feel all rubbery, they have no weight.

You know you where supposed to use the VATS system, right? That mechanic made the weapons feel really powerful and satisfying. Playing Fallout 3 like an ordinary shooter isn't the way to play that game.

Oh I must have missed that part on the tutorial that said "please ignore the FPS aspects of this game we dunno how they got in there use VATS all the time thanks"

I actually recall reading (long ago) that they made the FPS aspect very lackluster intentionally, to kind of force people to use the VATS system and play it more as an RPG rather than a shooter.

Stupid? - kind of

Did it make the game awful? - no (imohohohho), but only if you played it a certain way of course

Edited by Npoess

vats was basically skillless. sure you had to pick the right moment, but it was essentially a probability gamble. and the game was close to impossible without it. loved the world in fallout, but much like skyrim, the combat was utter shite.

it would be great if they fixed that in fallout 4, but i guess you would have to change the entire engine for that, so i havent got my hopes up.

Edited by messiaen

this was fkn amazing - absolutely solid dystopian cyberpunk future adventure game.

i highly rate all for wadjet eye's games (gemini rue is also pretty amazing - sci-fi noir) but they're not very well known

Ah, it's from the people who did Gemini Rue. I really need to play that game again now that I have an iPad

i adored gemini rue. i reckon i enjoyed this one more...

Skyrim's biggest pitfall is the repeitive and recycled content, really. The same caves/tombs/forts/camps with the same enemies, just with bigger health pools and damage output as it gets harder. Other than that I do enjoy the Elder Scrolls games, but once I start getting used to the pattern and rhythm of the game I lose interest very quickly. They at least do a decent job of hiding little interesting things round the world like cabins full of cool shit, unique NPCs here and there, slightly off the wall quests, secret items and the like. ES games basically eat up a few weeks of my life then I never touch them again (I never get that excited about mods).

That's every RPG ever made you're describing there.

And to be fair, I actually think Bethesda are pretty good at creating an interesting environment that keep you hooked. Actually they are pretty unmatched when it comes to map variety in RPGs, and they also manages to have their games packed with content in every game they've ever made.

Like in Skyrim there's this whole enormous Dwarven Ruins world ("Blackreach" - I think), that's only part of a sidemission (as far as I remember), and could easily be missed. That tells you a bit about confidence in map and content creation.

It's definitely true for open world RPGs - For some more linear titles I think dynamic of environments, enemies, and mixing up the pace of the game can be done very well (Trying really hard not to be a frothing Fromsoft fanboy here...)

As for Blackreach, that is a fantastic area, but if memory serves it was a bit of a one-off, I can't think of any hidden "zones" like that in Skyrim. I think ThatSpanishGuy sums up what I think about it all, really.

Dwemer ruins were the best thing in Skyrim. Amazing lore, amazing looks... I loved how they were all more or less hidden in the world. Got an instant erection each time I found one.

Dwemer ruins were the best thing in Skyrim. Amazing lore, amazing looks... I loved how they were all more or less hidden in the world. Got an instant erection each time I found one.

Yeah they kind of reminded me of those Chozo ruins in the Metroid series. You'd think if the Dwemer didn't go extinct or whatever the world of Skyrim would be much more technologically advanced.

I guess it's the Elder Scrolls equivalent of well-preserved Pre-War tech in the Fallout series.

Looks like the same style as one of the old LucasArts adventure games from the early '90s. Primordia is another one that came out a couple of years ago, which is more of a post-apocalypse setting.

I'm so surprised by how good Splatoon actually is. I don't care what people say Nintendo are still on top when it comes to making genuinely fun games.

I really hope it does well and they continue to make new IPs and concepts.

awesome

I'm thinking about pre-ordering a Steam Link & one of these controllers, even though it looks preposterous. But I wonder how good the signal will be.

How far is your computer from your TV? Steam link seem kind of a waste of money if you can get an HDMI cable that'll reach.

This was my thinking, too. Two long cords--one for controller, one for HDMI--would likely work out cheaper, not to mention a better signal. We'll see which is more expensive, a few wires or a fancy streaming device.

I'm so surprised by how good Splatoon actually is. I don't care what people say Nintendo are still on top when it comes to making genuinely fun games.

I really hope it does well and they continue to make new IPs and concepts.

Are you gonna attempt to access the paywall DLC?

How far is your computer from your TV? Steam link seem kind of a waste of money if you can get an HDMI cable that'll reach.

This was my thinking, too. Two long cords--one for controller, one for HDMI--would likely work out cheaper, not to mention a better signal. We'll see which is more expensive, a few wires or a fancy streaming device.

my pc is in the next room nearly 40 feet away from my tv. i almost never play my steam games except because i want to sit on the couch instead. will wait to see reviews on steam link. if it's good could be worth the investment. controller is certainly interesting but i'd also want to play without before buying

That Steambox thing sounds awesome. Masterrace gaming for 400 bucks ? I'm in.

That's just the starting price, some of the ones I've seen are a grand and up. That 400 one might not be as hot as the others. Could be wrong tho