IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

word from the chip scene is that those knockoff megadrives have really terrible sound.. not sure if they mean terrible by pedantic chip standards, or objectively terrible, but I don't really want to find out tbh

@Juiceciuj, just found after posting my message that it was built by a chinese company with authorization of Sega, and yeah I remember seeing something like that already...but thank you for the information ! (I thought that the fact I didn't knew a lot of the games packed with the console was due to my lack of knowledge of the Megadrive catalogue :emotawesomepm9: ).

Might give the pi a go, we've been wanting for a long time to build some DIY arcade cabinet with a friend, just need to find the time (and money) to do it !

I recently started playing Dungeons and Dragons again

I am the DM of a group that plays once or twice a month :).

nice.

all this NES console talk pushed me over the edge and i finally ordered a NES flash cart. have a CRT ... have a NES ... have 3 controllers ... provided i can get the flash cart going smoothly, i should be SORTED for the NES :):)

Sweet. I would like a ALL RETRO GAMES in 1 solution. I remember thinking I'd use the ouya for that, but I never bought it and haven't heard of it since.

I guess I could get a flash drive and just put everything on there, but I'd like a small console and a few controllers that I could just plug into a tv and play, and enough HD room to store pretty much all the retro games before ps1.

look at the bottom of the last page. get a rasp pi 3 and you'll be emulating through ps1 and be able to use ps3/4, xbox controllers, etc. a whole rasp pi kit can be had for easily hold all of the games you could possibly want (unless you really go nuts downloading every ps1 game). the entire computer in a case is about the size of a deck of cards. it probably weighs less than the cables you'll be connecting it with and you can also use it as a media center. there's a handful of custom os's built for flashing that are dedicated to emulation:

https://www.recalbox.com/

https://retropie.org.uk/

i'm using retropie on a pi2 with a ps2 controller+usb adapter and even that easily handles ps1 games. i would definitely have waited for pi3 if i knew it would have built in bluetooth/wireless (vs having to have dongles for the pi2). i've read that recalbox is a good bit easier to setup but harder to customize. both recalbox and retropie are about to have pretty major updates (ver 4.0) also so we might see better emulation of like, 64/dc stuff.

gonna wait and see how pi3+ the 4.0 stuff pans out and see if i wanna gift my pi2 to someone else and build a pi3

so yeah. if you're intimidated by the rasp pi stuff? don't be. it's really easy (and constantly getting easier). there's loads of documentation on how to get shit running

i did it and i'm an idiot

I'm currently planning on a Pi3 and set up a nice little retro gaming station - I was looking at PS4's Arcade Archives series and remembering how fun Gradius II was, but then looking at the 7.99 PER GAME they charge for what is essentially a JAMMA emulator they wrote for PS4, I said fuck that.

Plus, it will be nice to get back to my NEO·GEO games... still kicking myself for selling all those back in my early 20's.

Plus, it will be nice to get back to my NEO·GEO games... still kicking myself for selling all those back in my early 20's.

Woah, games as in plural - how the hell did you afford that ?! (People not knowing about NEO·GEO's prices will think I'm being sarcastic)

I recently started playing Dungeons and Dragons again

I am the DM of a group that plays once or twice a month :).

nice.

all this NES console talk pushed me over the edge and i finally ordered a NES flash cart. have a CRT ... have a NES ... have 3 controllers ... provided i can get the flash cart going smoothly, i should be SORTED for the NES :):)

Sweet. I would like a ALL RETRO GAMES in 1 solution. I remember thinking I'd use the ouya for that, but I never bought it and haven't heard of it since.

I guess I could get a flash drive and just put everything on there, but I'd like a small console and a few controllers that I could just plug into a tv and play, and enough HD room to store pretty much all the retro games before ps1.

look at the bottom of the last page. get a rasp pi 3 and you'll be emulating through ps1 and be able to use ps3/4, xbox controllers, etc. a whole rasp pi kit can be had for <$60 if you watch for deals which includes an sd card that will easily hold all of the games you could possibly want (unless you really go nuts downloading every ps1 game). the entire computer in a case is about the size of a deck of cards. it probably weighs less than the cables you'll be connecting it with and you can also use it as a media center. there's a handful of custom os's built for flashing that are dedicated to emulation:

https://www.recalbox.com/

https://retropie.org.uk/

i'm using retropie on a pi2 with a ps2 controller+usb adapter and even that easily handles ps1 games. i would definitely have waited for pi3 if i knew it would have built in bluetooth/wireless (vs having to have dongles for the pi2). i've read that recalbox is a good bit easier to setup but harder to customize. both recalbox and retropie are about to have pretty major updates (ver 4.0) also so we might see better emulation of like, 64/dc stuff.

gonna wait and see how pi3+ the 4.0 stuff pans out and see if i wanna gift my pi2 to someone else and build a pi3

so yeah. if you're intimidated by the rasp pi stuff? don't be. it's really easy (and constantly getting easier). there's loads of documentation on how to get shit running

i did it and i'm an idiot

I'm currently planning on a Pi3 and set up a nice little retro gaming station - I was looking at PS4's Arcade Archives series and remembering how fun Gradius II was, but then looking at the 7.99 PER GAME they charge for what is essentially a JAMMA emulator they wrote for PS4, I said fuck that.

yeah one of these days (years) when/if we finish out our basement i'd like to build a 2 player viewlix style cab or something and dump a pc in it that can emulate like, everything and run modern shit from steam.

oh i also ordered an ssd and gtx1060 to toss in my aging pc yesterday that will hopefully get me up to 1080/60fps this weekend. i've loads of good pcs games on steam that i got for next to nothing that i've simply not been able to run =\

Woah, games as in plural - how the hell did you afford that ?! (People not knowing about NEO·GEO's prices will think I'm being sarcastic)

I had (in 1990 until 1993, from age 17 to 20) a NEO·GEO gold system (650.00 USD), and 38 games (the lowest price I paid for a game was around 95.00 USD, for the smaller titles - brand new "big" games cost 240.00 USD each. Average was 150.00 USD).

At the time, I worked for a veterinarian when I was in high school, and got 300.00 USD every two weeks (remember, 1990's wages), so it worked out well with the infrequency of when the games came out, I could buy 1-2 games every few months. Add to the fact I was still living at home, with little to no expenses.

Some of the games I had now either still have held their retail value, some have easily tripled in value *cries*

I sold them all to buy my first car after moving to Texas; back in California I never needed a car where I lived - rail and buses and my bike were easier.

I loved the games, the box art, the whole presentation - best game console I ever owned. So much fun too taking my memory card to the arcades and loading up my saves on the same games and pwning people at Art of Fighting or Fatal Fury.

How funny was it that it took investors a week to realize Nintendo doesn't create the Pokemon games, or Pokemon Go, so it had no bearing on their earning results. Whoops!

This guy beat Nintendo to the punch - it even has a mini control pad!

http://www.daftmike.com/2016/07/NESPi.html

The NFC carts are clever as well

That's brilliant!

How funny was it that it took investors a week to realize Nintendo doesn't create the Pokemon games, or Pokemon Go, so it had no bearing on their earning results. Whoops!

It's hilarious, but I feel sorry for Nintendo. But then on the other hand I think Nintendo owns like 33% of the Pokémon franchise, so they must be getting their cut.

Game Freak is what's known as a 2nd Party publisher, akin to Intelligent Systems or Retro, (although we're dealing with Niantic here as the actual developer) they operate independently of Kyoto, but yeah Nintendo takes a cut of the profits or losses. Their whole corporate structure is somewhat murky by design, and then they reorganized everything recently to combine development teams, so it's anybody's guess. Game Freak also has a game out on PS4, so they can publish on any platform really.

Game Freak is what's known as a 2nd Party publisher, akin to Intelligent Systems or Retro, (although we're dealing with Niantic here as the actual developer) they operate independently of Kyoto, but yeah Nintendo takes a cut of the profits or losses. Their whole corporate structure is somewhat murky by design, and then they reorganized everything recently to combine development teams, so it's anybody's guess. Game Freak also has a game out on PS4, so they can publish on any platform really.

And Game Freak is independent of The Pokemon Company, which is the license holder to the Pokemon Franchise (Not sure how much of or how Nintendo is involved with The Pokemon Company).

And Game Freak is independent of The Pokemon Company, which is the license holder to the Pokemon Franchise (Not sure how much of or how Nintendo is involved with The Pokemon Company).

Yea that whole situation is corporate murkiness, I mean Satoshi Tariji was working for Nintendo for like 6 years while living with his parents and developing Pokemon for the GameBoy, but they set up a separate company to publish the games? They must have had an idea to merchandise the shit out of this if it was even mildly successful in Japan, and then it just exploded, especially after reaching the West as Pokemon. Too much focus on one IP for Nintendo to devote resources to, so just spin it off and cash the checks.

what's a modern, graphically intensive pc game that can be had for <$10 and is actually good? got a new videocard that i'm looking to test. the only remotely new game i have is sfv and it runs at 1080/ultra/60+fps and looks great (way better than ps4) but i realize it's not that demanding.

Was gonna say Layers of Fear but that's a little above your budget (think I bought it in Early Access when it was closer to $10)

The lighting and texture shaders are just mmmmmmm

CN7kL7tW8AEBrvH.jpg

what's a modern, graphically intensive pc game that can be had for <$10 and is actually good? got a new videocard that i'm looking to test. the only remotely new game i have is sfv and it runs at 1080/ultra/60+fps and looks great (way better than ps4) but i realize it's not that demanding.

i cant run farcry 4 on ultra ultra settings with my gtx 770 at 1080 resolution.

its also probably not dropped to be that cheap yet though. 

Edited by messiaen

So is it a remaster of Bioshock the same way Bethesda are doing with Skyrim? If it's just a graphics upgrade then it's basically the same game from before, innit? I hope triple-A developers don't make a trend out of that as a cheap cash grab strategy.

At least Id Software played their cards right with this year's Doom reboot, because it is essentially a new game, not just an old one with new makeup.

well i think skyrim did the same thing in that if you owned the pc games and all dlc you get the new version for free. i own bioshock 1 & 2 from either steam or humble bundle sales that i paid next to nothing for. i've never played them because i didn't have a pc capable of it but now seems like a good time :)