IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Comparing

Pretty good timing considering the dust from No Man Sky's albatross landing still hasn't settled yet...

I'm wondering if the timing really was a reaction to the NMS thing - that preview definitely had lots of: '.....and this is how it really should've been done' moments !

Comparing NMS and Star Citizen feels kind of unfair though... In terms of both teams and budget, it's like this and THAT.

Star Citizen looks intriguing, tho tbh the overall spaceship art style & combat style obviously reach back to Wing Commander....

tbh I played only Wing Commander 3 (on Playstation 1) but there was always something about the game that I strongly disliked, i.e. there was no real handling & style to the spaceships... compared to e.g. the old Xwing game it felt quite bad. not to speak of the horribly crappy plot of Wing Commander... cringe acting, cringe characters etc...

it also apparently has lot of feature creep and Chris Roberts has a history of overly ambitious games which never came to full fruition:

^ in that video, there is this German guy ranting in the end - I fell exactly the same about this tbh... mostly concerned with spacehip handling...

so Star Citizen is mega detailed and looks super good, but there is a bit of Chris Roberts cheese balls signature "bad taste" art direction written all over it. e.g. the way spaceships take off and handle, like there is absolutely no mass to them. it's exactly the same as WC! Also space dogfights, for some mysterious reason, are super short range and lo-fi... dunno, it kind of sticks out imo, because the game looks absolutely fantastic. It should require a bit more skill to navigate a complicated spaceship in close proximity to a space station, but the game doesn't look at all like it takes such skill.

guess I want a space version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBylLsDIHog

plus this:

Guess I should delve into NMS at least while I'm waiting for DX: Mankind Divided to unlock. Only two days left.

I watched a couple of demos for Star Citizen. Looks like there's actual gunfights involved in the combat, along with the option to disable gravity therein. No doubt they're gonna do everything to deliver on SC what NMS fell short on.

Just got NMS lastnight, played about 4 hours, and am pretty happy with it so far. I never really expected it to be about space battles or whatever though..

It's rather relaxing, nice to just lie back on the couch with a keyboard.. and touchpad! I never thought a touchpad would be good for first person games but the mouse sensitivity in NMS is so fkn ridiculous that I had to use touchpad just so I could avoid going insane. Turns out it was a good idea because I don't have to fuck around with the wireless mouse going out of range..

I can understand how it may be disappointing for someone wanting non-stop action, but I mean, how can you be mad at a game that has space puppies..?!

PvDXwVw.png

Having said all that, I'm totally prepared to stop playing it altogether once Deus Ex comes out.. tomorrow?!

Edited by modey

haha yup. I've got a ton of creative projects I really should be concentrating on.. but hey, I just played a gig that required a whole lot of intense rehearsals, so I deserve some down time!

DX: Mankind Divided will likely be my last AAA-title game purchase for the year. Aside from Star Citizen and Nightdive's reboot of System Shock, there's nothing else I'm really anticipating in the foreseeable future game-wise. I still wonder if development for Routine is still alive, but Lunar's last update was 8 months ago...

In the meantime, I think I've played NMS enough now to process the initial learning curve. It's by and large an exploration & resource management game, with combat being secondary, for when the occasional predator comes after you. I'm growing to accept it for what it is, rather than comparing it to contemporary fast-paced shooters, which it was clearly intended not to be.

I probably haven't been as productive outside of work as I could be, but...eventually.

titanfall seems even more boring than cod. looks and feels worse too.

I really enjoyed the combat, since it's CoD with interesting movement, especially with the grappling hooks. I found the bounty mode a bit tedious though, and yeah, it looks horrible. All the textures look like they were from last generation consoles.

Regarding Star Citizen, I'm still not sure how to feel about it. Yeah, all the videos look impressive, but so did No Man's Sky. The fanbase has the same slightly overzealous cult like feel as well, made slightly worse by the horrendously expensive early access prices. I'm sure the reason they made so much cash is because they're already milking players' wallets. Ah, we'll see, I'd happily be wrong about it, the videos do look amazing.

New PS4 Slim model seems to have leaked ahead of Sony's 7 September press conference (where they are expected to unveil the PS4.5, aka "Neo", the direct competition to the new XBONES...

53532_23_ps4-slim-revealed-ahead-schedul

1471824539884.jpg

Played some of the Titanfall 2 beta... some neat stuff, but very COD-like. Still burned out on FPSs too much to care really.

Booo, they'd better up the ante on the included games for PS4 if they want that kind of money.

another push for me to play on pc. the ps+ games have been pretty shitty for a while now and paying for online multiplayer for games without dedicated servers is a bit shit as well. 

I'm watching the life is strange intro screen to have that nice guitar track looping while I feel melancholic and procrastinate on watmm.

Edited by Gocab

i'm playing my own game because i need to test it a billion times before i'm done  :cerious:

the last game i played by someone else is called The Real Texas, which is a fun surreal action-rpg with lots of cool funky details. the only thing i knew about it going in was that there is a part where you wrestle a wizard, WWE style. 

Edited by The Sponge Wiggler

for you fighting game fans, the new King of Fighters releases tomorrow on PS4. should also be coming to PC too hopefully

CqIEtzjWAAEZNgy.jpg

fair warning: it doesn't have the best graphics but the gameplay looks pretty damn fun 

Edited by jellyrajah

for you fighting game fans, the new King of Fighters releases tomorrow on PS4. should also be coming to PC too hopefully

fair warning: it doesn't have the best graphics but the gameplay looks pretty damn fun 

i dunno. i just can't seem to wrap my head around anime stuff. i bought xrd but really didn't like the way it felt at all. i know that kof isn't really straight up anime game but i bought 13 and also never really got a taste for it. 14 looks basically like 13 with more characters and uglier =\

sfv is still very satisfying to play. i haven't really played much lately and not done enough research/practicing to take the next step in upping my game. but i can still hold my own in the middling ultra silver/gold rankings. 

supposedly tekken 7 is releasing at the end of february. game looks so good. easily my most anticipated release. probably just stick to sfv until then

CqIEtzjWAAEZNgy.jpg

I played the demo for this - it's all right, but I miss the series' hand-drawn pixel art. These character models are generic and uninspired and the lighting is poor.

I'll stick with the NEO·GEO originals.