IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

seriously... I like the awkward silent pauses that I guess they were hoping to be filled with whooping and hype.

Guest bitroast

its a pretty impossible sell for existing ps4 owners.. 

one thing im trying to calculate is the cost of a PC matching PS4 Pro, versus PS4 + PS4 pro over ~3.5 years ... is Ps4 + Ps4pro really that bad ? it's pretty bad. i dunno. it's a weird one. it's gonna be a rough period when exclusive games are coming out on ps4/ps4pro and if (say... Horizon for example) ran at choppy framerates on ps4. 

Was gutted Allison Road went walkabouts (Backed it on Kickstarter, then it was scrapped as apparently the 90s production company Team 17 picked it up, then dropped it again, not sure where we're at now)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/22/allison-road-pt-spiritual-successor-revived

The new Mass Effect looks like it's going to be shit.

lol based on what? 30 secs of cave exploration gameplay?

lol based on what? 30 secs of cave exploration gameplay?

Yes. It's a very thorough analysis of all the available data.

its a pretty impossible sell for existing ps4 owners.. 

one thing im trying to calculate is the cost of a PC matching PS4 Pro, versus PS4 + PS4 pro over ~3.5 years ... is Ps4 + Ps4pro really that bad ? it's pretty bad. i dunno. it's a weird one. it's gonna be a rough period when exclusive games are coming out on ps4/ps4pro and if (say... Horizon for example) ran at choppy framerates on ps4. 

Supposedly devs must keep the game up to PS4 standards, and only enhance on Pro... I am really baffled by why they didn't include a 4K Blu Ray player - Sony invented Blu Ray, and hell, even the damn XBONES has one!

I think it will be worth it - they were wise not to price it higher than 400.00.

The thing is... Microsoft's "Scorpio" will be out a year later, and (on paper) be more powerful - what's next? PS4 Pro Plus for Holiday 2017?

It's almost as if Sony is trying to turn consoles into smartphones with biannual upgrades...

How can you judge that on a video that was primarily just a tech demo? The game is still in development...

Anyone else play the Battlefield 1 demo? I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Never really played any of the other Battlefield games but the jump back to WW1 as a break from all the future warfare intrigues me. The multiplayer is pretty fun, I like the large-scale battles and more tactical focus over CoD, the campaign could be pretty cool.

Also, fuck getting a PS Pro... I'm not buying into the whole 4k shit just yet. I'd rather just install a bigger harddrive in my current PS4 for FAR cheaper and stick with that.

Edited by ghOsty

Also, fuck getting a PS Pro... I'm not buying into the whole 4k shit just yet. I'd rather just install a bigger harddrive in my current PS4 for FAR cheaper and stick with that.

apparently the visual improvements aren't just limited to 4k though. Higher AA, HDR etc. 

Sad thing is, if the sales numbers are there, this will be the new thing. Biannual new models.

hurray throwaway culture

more like triannual yeah? i kind of wonder if they aren't just trying to move into the pc space after this? maybe develop their own store front and have your ps account and trophies and shit. i wouldn't be surprised if the 4pro/scorpio were the last round of consoles. too much time/money developing what are basically walled garden pcs. xbox is already starting to really blur the lines with their win10 crossover integration and buy on xbox get it on pc stuff. maybe playstation branded pcs will become a thing. full fledged pc thats specced to play sony games. user upgradeable.

For someone who doesn't currently own a PS4, or a 4K TV... does it make sense to get a standard PS4 or pay extra for the Pro? Is the only added benefit the increased performance?

The GPU is faster, VR will be better, and they mentioned some benefits that regular HD TVs still get from the Pro, but I can't remember what it was off the top of my head.

For someone who doesn't currently own a PS4, or a 4K TV... does it make sense to get a standard PS4 or pay extra for the Pro? Is the only added benefit the increased performance?

Higher framerate and higher resolution. I think some games will also have more vegetation and fancier lighting? And higher resolution textures? That's about it I think. It's already been confirmed that stuff like multiplayer games will have a locked framerate across the PS4 and Pro versions of games to ensure Pro users (ugh) don't gain an advantage. So the Slim is more than adequate if you just want to play games.

The PS4 Pro turned out about as pointless as I expected it to be. And I'm happy with that. 

Edited by Friendly Foil

Guest bitroast

Higher framerate and higher resolution. I think some games will also have more vegetation and fancier lighting? And higher resolution textures? That's about it I think. It's already been confirmed that stuff like multiplayer games will have a locked framerate across the PS4 and Pro versions of games to ensure Pro users (ugh) don't gain an advantage. So the Slim is more than adequate if you just want to play games.

The PS4 Pro turned out about as pointless as I expected it to be. And I'm happy with that. 

the price point of both slim and pro is pretty good. 

the idea of selling the ps4 and using the cash to upgrade to pro isn't too terrible. not amazing, but all things considered ... it's not as bad as i would've expected. 

main thing i'm wondering is ... will i be able to transfer PT across. i'm guessing no.. in which case NO DEAL

the idea of selling the ps4 and using the cash to upgrade to pro isn't too terrible. not amazing, but all things considered ... it's not as bad as i would've expected.

I guess. But the PS4 Pro (ugh!) can't even play 4K Blu-rays, so all you're really getting is the same games you can get on your regular Peasant Edition PS4 but with more colors, more pixels, and more grass. It's not like the games themselves will change much, given that they'll have to work on both systems. Not to mention that you need a 4K TV to even take advantage of all this in the first place and a pretty size-able one at that, for the whole 4K resolution thing to be much more than a fancy number. Maybe I'm wrong about all this and maybe the Pro (uurrgh!) will sell a ton of units, but right now Sony has been insanely bad at presenting this thing. 

Even if it turns out to be a major success, that new Xbox thing (Scorpio?) will come out next year and totally wreck its shit anyway. So that leaves both the Peasant and Pro (...) versions in the dust of not only the PC but also the Xbox. And potentially the NX, if this was some kind of bizarro universe where Nintendo suddenly decided to make sensible decisions for the first time in a decade.

Just give me the new Mass Effect (and let it be good) so I can escape this vidja insanity. 

Edited by Friendly Foil

main thing i'm wondering is ... will i be able to transfer PT across. i'm guessing no.. in which case NO DEAL

http://wololo.net/2016/04/10/how-to-redownload-p-t-silent-hills/

I'm not going to upgrade to 4K in the foreseeable future, so far this seems like a tough sell for me. If they jazz up the games with better models, AA, framerates, gameplay and effects, and I'm not talking Kenny G... I'm talking Sun Ra level jazz here, I might buy one. If they let me transfer my current 2TB hdd. If not they can sod off.

If they let me transfer my current 2TB hdd. If not they can sod off.

The drive itself will be no doubt yes, the contents nope - PS3 and PS4 uses drive encryption with a different key in every machine. You put your hd in a different ps4 and it'll just appear to it as unformatted junk and request you format the drive.