IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

The mrs got me a ps4 for krimbo, god bless her

Been playing Ratchet & Clank, always good fun. Gonna pick up TLOU and Uncharted 4 on my next trip into town. Any other PS exclusive recommendations?

If you like shmups and a modern take on Defender, Resogun is probably one of the best on PS4. Still playing it constantly after 3+ years (was a PS4 launch title).

Kinda reminds me of Super Stardust on the PS3. Looks great, cheers

Resogun and Super Stardust are made by the same team/people. I also highly recommend it. =)

Is it just me or is Afterbirth+ insanely hard to play ? I thought I was getting used to Afterbirth, tried playing with The Lost quite a few times...But since the expansion came out I did not make it past the second area. Not to mention the greedier mod - nor the challenges !

I know a balance update is supposed to come out very soon but it seems like Isaac definitely turned into a rage machine (which is a good thing btw).

Edited by StocKo

Is it just me or is Afterbirth+ insanely hard to play ? I thought I was getting used to Afterbirth, tried playing with The Lost quite a few times...But since the expansion came out I did not make it past the second area. Not to mention the greedier mod - nor the challenges !

I know a balance update is supposed to come out very soon but it seems like Isaac definitely turned into a rage machine (which is a good thing btw).

ive been getting absolutely pummeled by it. i finished one lost run, i almost sacked it off because it was a slow start, but ended up so overpowered i did 3 victory laps to see if they get harder. the new characters item seems like it would be OP as fuck, but i still havent managed to get further than moms heart yet. 

cool, I never played any Mass Effect games. Do I need to play the first one for ME2 to make sense?

btw, someone posted about replaying Dishonored a while ago.. My girlfriend mentioned it recently so I decided to check it out, despite the style not usually being my kind of thing. I'm enjoying it so far since it basically seems like a re-skinned Deus Ex, lol. 

I just finished "Hyper Light Drifter" and i really adored it. Challenging but not overwhelming, and just stunning. The music and visuals all strike a deep chord with me. The story of it's production is interesting too. I couldn't recommend this game more!

Next up for me is the Last Guardian. Shadow of the Colossus is one of my all time favorites. That fact, combined with general opinion and just finishing another game i hold in similar regard, i can't imagine i won't be underwhelmed.

I've wanted to pick up the Last Guardian but I have a huge backlog. You're lucky you waited because I read that they just released a patch that fixes the camera and framerate issues

oh shit i didn't know that. i had heard the framerate on standard ps4 was really bad.

I played Hyper Light Drifter on a standard PS4 and was never bothered by any frame rate issues. If they were there, they seemed so natural to the graphical style that they didn't feel noteworthy. 

Guest bitroast

cool, I never played any Mass Effect games. Do I need to play the first one for ME2 to make sense?

yeah, kinda. They are a trilogy, all linked.

yeh i'll agree with this.

1 is also a smidge buggy and can be a bit rough around the edges. i managed to get myself kind of locked into a particular quest where i either couldn't leave a planet or for some reason found it really difficult to leave, but going forward meant doing a boss fight that i felt under prepared for and kept dying on. was stuck in that one area for a good while and had to sort of brute force cheese my way through the fight and it damn near almost ruined the game for me.

lesson learnt? keep multiple saves cos the game is kinda rough !!

but theyre also pretty heavy story games and i would agree that 1 is required before 2. the whole series is great and well worth checking.

i'm pretty sure there's a comic or some recap thing at the start of 2 if you choose to skip 1. but ye play 1 imo xD

+1 on that, ME1 is rough around the edges for sure. Actually that's the first thing I told my gf when getting her to play the trilogy is to power through it, take it for what it is, enjoy the story, but look forward to ME2 and ME3 to be WAY more polished.

I still really enjoyed ME1 but yeah, lol.. some parts... :blink:

Guest bitroast

ye. 1 is great. but it's like recommending Curb Your Enthusiasm or some tv show when the first season is rough and not indicitive of why you like the show.

been messing about in soundstage on the vive.  :cat:

started playing witcher 3 again, it seems to have replaced skyrim as my go-to never-ending game.

yeah, kinda. They are a trilogy, all linked.

yeh i'll agree with this.

1 is also a smidge buggy and can be a bit rough around the edges. i managed to get myself kind of locked into a particular quest where i either couldn't leave a planet or for some reason found it really difficult to leave, but going forward meant doing a boss fight that i felt under prepared for and kept dying on. was stuck in that one area for a good while and had to sort of brute force cheese my way through the fight and it damn near almost ruined the game for me.

lesson learnt? keep multiple saves cos the game is kinda rough !!

but theyre also pretty heavy story games and i would agree that 1 is required before 2. the whole series is great and well worth checking.

i'm pretty sure there's a comic or some recap thing at the start of 2 if you choose to skip 1. but ye play 1 imo xD

the friendly AI in ME1 was fooken rubbash. good game though.

I just finished "Hyper Light Drifter" and i really adored it. Challenging but not overwhelming, and just stunning. The music and visuals all strike a deep chord with me. The story of it's production is interesting too. I couldn't recommend this game more!

Next up for me is the Last Guardian. Shadow of the Colossus is one of my all time favorites. That fact, combined with general opinion and just finishing another game i hold in similar regard, i can't imagine i won't be underwhelmed.

I've wanted to pick up the Last Guardian but I have a huge backlog. You're lucky you waited because I read that they just released a patch that fixes the camera and framerate issues

oh shit i didn't know that. i had heard the framerate on standard ps4 was really bad.

I played Hyper Light Drifter on a standard PS4 and was never bothered by any frame rate issues. If they were there, they seemed so natural to the graphical style that they didn't feel noteworthy.

was referring to the last guardian re: frame rates: http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/5/13843728/the-last-guardian-ps4-pro-tech-analysis

but supposedly a recent patch makes it a bit better.

+1 on that, ME1 is rough around the edges for sure. Actually that's the first thing I told my gf when getting her to play the trilogy is to power through it, take it for what it is, enjoy the story, but look forward to ME2 and ME3 to be WAY more polished.

I still really enjoyed ME1 but yeah, lol.. some parts... :blink:

ME1 can be difficult and repetitive but it's also the most rewarding game of the trilogy IMO. ME2 took the combat to the next level but I wasn't into the cast or story as much as ME1, and ME3 is fine but really requires the DLC to feel like a full experience. ME1 is the most consistently solid of the three front to back, and doesn't suffer from the eventual plot retcons and occasional lack of scale of the other two.

Of course I say this with Mass Effect being my favorite video game franchise ever. But ME1 is far and away my favorite of the trilogy. If they remade it with everything intact and threw in the combat of ME3 it would be flawless.

I played ME2 first when it was heavily discounted a couple years ago. I was very skeptical towards its sci-fi fantasy world, like, fuck it i'm bored let's quickly check what is this bullshit kids are talking about (not into Star Wars or Star Trek soap either, i prefer my sci-fi gloomy). Ended up feeling like "damn i'm one of the sheeple now".

It has this beautiful structure, something amidst linear plot and open-ended procedural. The actual gameplay almost becomes a backdrop to your ship, where you have all these zones and teammates to chat and you build up at your own pace preparing for the ultimate battle. Bioware developers exploit this structure elsewhere, but never in such a distilled form.

So it makes sense for ME2 to be the initiating experience since it's more polished and this fresh feeling is felt only once. Story-wise tho, it's definitely better to start with ME1, at the very least you choose which characters die for the whole trilogy. And ME3 is necessary to consume with pain-in-the-ass-to-acquire DLCs Leviathan (explains critical shit otherwise untouched) and Citadel (best fan service ever if you get into teammates, corny as Japanese shit).

been messing about in soundstage on the vive.  :cat:

Is this your own material imported into the game or a default OST you can play with ?

it's an old track of mine that i found the stems for, and realized the "game" had custom sample support.

Got my copy of Infinite Warfare and godddamit COD4 doesn't even come on a disc, it's a 56gb download. Thanks EA.

...pssssst, it's Activision ;)

Also, was it the latest COD that launched with a 20gb day one update?

Got my copy of Infinite Warfare and godddamit COD4 doesn't even come on a disc, it's a 56gb download. Thanks EA.

...pssssst, it's Activision ;)

Also, was it the latest COD that launched with a 20gb day one update?

Then no thanks Activision, haven't installed Infinite Warfare yet. I guess the Zombies level will be yet another had drive filler.

No Man's Sky - it's alright, not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing though. Is it worth sticking with?

I played the fuck out of it for a few weeks, but haven't touched it in a few months. I've heard there is some new crafting mode though where you can finally build bases on planets? Might be worth a look again..