IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Catching up on old games?

Blacklist is ok but the lack of Michael Ironside is a punch in the gut though.

I didn't play any games for ten years, so bought a used PS3 and played all the classics I missed. This is the last one before I move onto the PS4. I remembered liking the Splinter Cell games on GameCube a lot, which is why I got this one.

Chaos Theory was the best!!

any recommendations for something fun i can play on my macbook with just the keyboard? not too graphically intense, not needing a mouse. love binding of isaac and ftl.

Have you played Fez yet?

No mouse needed for that

Weeeeeeell... at one point you will need to maneuver your mouse around to solve some puzzles, but it's not something that requires super quick motions or anything.

Fez doesn't use the mouse for control at all, though...

Well, when you get access to the first person view in the NG+

Well, yeah, but that mechanic isn't necessary to play the game, really. Unless you want to go for 200% completion. Honestly, I enjoyed it without going that far

But that's the best part, man... ;D

God I love that game so much!

i had no idea that fez had that. i never touched it again after seeing the end title sequence (got just barely over the minimum number of cubes to get there). 

anyways... tekken 7 comes out next friday and it's going to be such a long fucking wait (it's already been over 2 years since the initial arcade release). took the day off (actually legitimately scheduled a couple of doctors visits for that day so i could justify taking it off) . day one tournament on saturday. 

should try and finish twilight princess before then but probably won't -_-

Catching up on old games?

Blacklist is ok but the lack of Michael Ironside is a punch in the gut though.

I didn't play any games for ten years, so bought a used PS3 and played all the classics I missed. This is the last one before I move onto the PS4. I remembered liking the Splinter Cell games on GameCube a lot, which is why I got this one.

Chaos Theory was the best!!

any recommendations for something fun i can play on my macbook with just the keyboard? not too graphically intense, not needing a mouse. love binding of isaac and ftl.

Have you played Fez yet?

No mouse needed for that

Weeeeeeell... at one point you will need to maneuver your mouse around to solve some puzzles, but it's not something that requires super quick motions or anything.

Fez doesn't use the mouse for control at all, though...

Well, when you get access to the first person view in the NG+

Well, yeah, but that mechanic isn't necessary to play the game, really. Unless you want to go for 200% completion. Honestly, I enjoyed it without going that far

But that's the best part, man... ;D

God I love that game so much!

i had no idea that fez had that. i never touched it again after seeing the end title sequence (got just barely over the minimum number of cubes to get there). 

Oh man... Fez is fucking insane. It's one of the most beautiful games ever made. The real ending almost made me teary eyed for some reason.

I really would've thought that spoilered bit could be controlled by keys - it just needs X&Y shifting around. Hell as a teenager I did quake all on keys ! Fez is the only game I've 100%d on Steam (or 209.7'ded to be precise!)

Been watching my son play Dead Cells (Steam Early Access) - really, really good Metroidvania/Dark Souls mashup. Really good 16-bit style graphics too.

Been watching my son play Dead Cells (Steam Early Access) - really, really good Metroidvania/Dark Souls mashup. Really good 16-bit style graphics too.

i've definitely got my eye on this for the future but i just read that it's still about 8-12 mo from full release so no need to jump just yet. i really enjoyed rogue legacy (one of the only non-tekken games i've platinumed) and from what i've read it kind of sounds like a more refined version of that. 

I really love games like that, but sometimes find they don't have enough mechanical depth to keep me interested enough. "Press X for quick attack, triangle for heavy attack" doesn't go very far tbh.

I really love games like that, but sometimes find they don't have enough mechanical depth to keep me interested enough. "Press X for quick attack, triangle for heavy attack" doesn't go very far tbh.

Have you tried Dead Cells on Steam Early Access? Surprisingly deep gameplay for a metroidvania/dark souls mashup.

Negative, I've not heard much about Dead Cells. (I see the reviews are almost universally positive, 9/10, 10/10 etc)

I will check it out though, thanks for the recommendation! I'm nearing completion of Doom (2016 one), need something to move onto after that, heh.

edit: wow, does the trailer ever look good!

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

ARMS - I was on the fence about getting this, and after the beta still am.  The first game I've seen that even justifies the existence of the joy-cons, definitely more entertaining when intoxicated with friends.  The online had two modes available; 1 on 1, 1 on 2, or 2 on 2 battles, and then volleyball.  Volleyball needs some work on movement controls, if you got too close to the net it was almost impossible to back up and you were fucked.  I did pretty well in an hour just spamming jump and then grab during battles, so they need to balance that.  Motion controls were somewhat wanky in the heat of action, hopefully they'll fix that too.  Holding the joy-cons in the grip position takes some getting used to, but a novel way to differentiate itself from other fighting games, and use the straps.

i just dug out my dreamcast and street fighter 3 3rd strike.

i've never bothered learning how to really learn street fighter games but i'd like to try now.,

how do i teach myself? 

Guest bitroast

ARMS seems entirely competent and fun. playing with motion controls was fun but playing with with standard controls was also totally viable and totally fine. (for whatever reason the pause screen control screen only shows you half of what buttons do what, but you can play that game with L2 being left punch, R2 being right punch, etc, and that seemed pretty comfortable and felt right). still though, you naturally get into it a little more when flailing your arms about with motion controls so even if that's a little janky and unresponsive it's still the more fun way to play it i think. seems fine!

the price point versus what's on offer is the main niggling concern i have at this point (the v-ball sports stuff seemed fine but mostly there to break up the action a bit, which is probably welcome i guess). it's a wii u esque nintendo as fuck fighting game. feels polished and fun.

Edited by bitroast

ARMS seems entirely competent and fun. playing with motion controls was fun but playing with with standard controls was also totally viable and totally fine. (for whatever reason the pause screen control screen only shows you half of what buttons do what, but you can play that game with L2 being left punch, R2 being right punch, etc, and that seemed pretty comfortable and felt right). still though, you naturally get into it a little more when flailing your arms about with motion controls so even if that's a little janky and unresponsive it's still the more fun way to play it i think. seems fine!

the price point versus what's on offer is the main niggling concern i have at this point (the v-ball sports stuff seemed fine but mostly there to break up the action a bit, which is probably welcome i guess). it's a wii u esque nintendo as fuck fighting game. feels polished and fun.

I was hoping they would have basketball available during the first beta, maybe they'll rotate it in on the following weekend trials.

Guest transmisiones ferox

Wolfenstein New Order, it's pretty fun, dunno which one is more funnier DOOM ir this,

this has Nazi dystopian future, in DOOM you can visit HELL, choose which one is more crazy

Edited by transmisiones ferox

i've never bothered learning how to really learn street fighter games but i'd like to try now.,

how do i teach myself? 

PM juiceciuj

lol. never been much of an sf player myself. i got low-middling good in sf5 waiting for tekken7 to drop (friday can't come soon enough). coincidentally i did just see this recent article posted: http://compete.kotaku.com/these-five-americans-moved-to-japan-for-street-fighter-1795609000

sf3 does hold a certain appeal with the universal parry system but i never bothered to get that good at it. i picked up the ps3 re-release a few years ago and it was the only time i spent any time with the game.

how do i teach myself? 

PM juiceciuj

lol. never been much of an sf player myself. i got low-middling good in sf5 waiting for tekken7 to drop (friday can't come soon enough). coincidentally i did just see this recent article posted: http://compete.kotaku.com/these-five-americans-moved-to-japan-for-street-fighter-1795609000

sf3 does hold a certain appeal with the universal parry system but i never bothered to get that good at it. i picked up the ps3 re-release a few years ago and it was the only time i spent any time with the game.

ok, thanks man,

i'm going to see if i can find street fighter tutorials on youtube

do you think i could learn how to play by watching street fighter 5 videos?

how do i teach myself? 

PM juiceciuj

ok, thanks man,

i'm going to see if i can find street fighter tutorials on youtube

do you think i could learn how to play by watching street fighter 5 videos?

if you are wanting to learn sfv then absolutely. if you're trying to apply sfv tutorials to sf3 then probably not. but these days there tons of forums/video tutorials/writes ups of modern fighting games that can give you a thorough walk through of game mechanics and the basics of whatever the current meta is. sfv is about to undergo a pretty big balance patch on the 30th so people are basically going to be relearning how to use their characters and it will kind of reset that game to a more even footing if you're just coming into it for the first time. shoryuken.com (aka srk) probably has the best forums for sfv other than facebook groups. http://forums.shoryuken.com/categories/street-fighter-v

be prepared though. if you're really just starting out and just starting to get online then you are going to lose. a lot. you just have to treat each match as a learning experience. pick a character. learn your entire movelist (luckily they're not that big in sf). learn your combos and punishes, etc.

but like, i dunno how basic you're starting from. do you know about reversals? understand what punishing is? understand invincibility frames on dps and other moves? input shortcuts? counting frames? hitboxes/hurtboxes?

Edited by juiceciuj

ultimately i think you get the best experience by either grinding online and trying to figure out why you're losing or trying to figure out if there's a local scene where you can play people irl (i know of at least one relatively big fighting game tournament in canada but i dunno where you are or where it is). look up if there's a local facebook fgc group or something in your area. etc.

thanks juice. i don't know what any of those terms you've mentioned are. i don't have a playstation either, i'm gonna just start slow, learning specials and such

dunno if you've seen this (probably have), but as a fan of sf3 you owe it to yourself to watch it (if you haven't):

Edited by juiceciuj