IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

I'm playing it right now. It's pretty cool!

Can't wait.

I need a good sci-fi horror mystery game, so I'm ready to indulge myself into its world.

Man, this runs like ass on the Xbox

divinity: original sin enhanced edition is excellent. couple of times ive had to find my way by looking at a guide online because it really lets you figure stuff out yourself, no quest markers or anything, and you have to listen to everything every minor npc says if you want to figure some of the quests out, but the turn based combat is seriously addictive once you've figured it out. think im approaching the end at about 45 hours. 

I played it (Soma), I was initially a bit underwhelmed, but I ended up loving it anyway. I'm digging Observer right now (except for the stealthy stuff). Urban decay, blade runner vibes, horror and lo-tech cyberpunk, it's like they jumped into my head at age 17 and proceeded to make my dream game.

For someone growing up playing C64 games, I have to say I'd have shat myself if I knew how good games would be these days, even though people like to shit all over the state of gaming. It's never been better I tell you! Old man yells at cloud!

Edited by Gocab

couple of times ive had to find my way by looking at a guide online because it really lets you figure stuff out yourself

:psyduck: ?

ive not got the patience to wander round an area for 45 minutes because ive missed the obscurely titled book that tells you which order to press 5 buttons in. im a casual gamer these days, if im stuck at a dead end for 10 minutes i cheat. 

reminds me a bit of Soma. am I the only person itt who played that game? I thought it was practically perfect.

I played Soma, actually anticipated playing it. Didn't like it in the end. Some of the biggest cons i still recall are:

1. Idiotic voice acting of the protagonist, this generic overly sentimental videogame voice accentuating on all the wrong things, also trying to impose blindness on the player - prime example is how he couldn't foresee the ending that already happened to him in that magic chair.

2. Conflicting game mechanics of exploration and pussy-hiding from arbitrary monsters (already a numbing cliche in horror games, though Alien: Isolation is one of my favourite games, there you had multiple tools and the disposition of power was clear), basically a genre conflict of the so-called walking simulator made into a game through a non-demanding game mechanic habitual to developers.

There was a lot more in the moment, it didn't really get to me aside from the setting and the premise. 

Decided to give Mother Russia Bleeds a go. Pretty dope adventure fighting game (a la Final Fight, Streets Of Rage, that Simpsons arcade from the early 90s, etc), but challenging as hell too.

Setting-wise it's like Akira set in late Soviet-era Russia. Starts off with you beating the shit out of rabid hobos, then you get apprehended by riot cops. Then you wake up in some cold cell, after some guy in a hazmat suit injects you with this glowing green substance called Nekro. Seems the shady Soviet government was up to some clandestine fucked-up experiments, and you were meant to be one of the test subjects.

Anyway, I'm stuck on the second boss fight during the prison break where I keep getting gunned down by both the head guard and the sniper. But otherwise it's brutal fun overall.

Perfect Dark. Trying to sample the horrible voice samples they make when they die. Found my 64 and all my old games last month when my parents moved out of the house I grew up in. It's been awesome getting all nostalgic. 

"I'M DYING?!"

Perfect Dark. Trying to sample the horrible voice samples they make when they die. Found my 64 and all my old games last month when my parents moved out of the house I grew up in. It's been awesome getting all nostalgic. 

"I'M DYING?!"

Fuckkkkkk meeeeeeeee

W2yJMjf.png

whoa! what kind of asshole move is this?

I don't find it that much of a dick move? 

Except for this:

"WARNING: Use of this reproduction game cartridge (the “Product”) on the SNES gaming hardware may cause the SNES console to overheat or catch fire. The SNES hardware is deemed a vintage collectible, so please exercise extreme caution when using the Product and make sure there is fire extinguishment equipment nearby. Use of the Product is at the sole risk of the user. "

"I should really make more room for more productive self-developing type activities in my life"

*5 mins later sees Witcher sales on Steam*

Absolver looks like it could be fun or terrible, but I don't have $30 to blow on it now anyway so maybe down the road when they improve some of the flaws that get brought up in every review I've seen.

I finally beat the final boss in the Dark Souls 3 Ringed City DLC, it took me far longer than it should've. Been playing a bit of this and that elsewhere in the game but I'm afraid to get back into PVP because I was never great at it and I'm way out of practice for it now.

Picked back up Hyper Light Drifter tonight and played for almost an hour, just trying to remind myself how the game works and where everything is on the map I've already found, etc. The obtuseness of the presentation of the game is endearing when you're heavily invested in it, but fucking hell is it not the sort of game you can just pick back up after months away. It really is gorgeous all around, the presentation of graphics, music, and general atmosphere is really perfect.

Absolver is fun. The 1v1 duels need a level matching system though. I was destroying lvl 3 players as a lvl 19 and I was getting destroyed by lvl 31 players.

It has a Dark Souls vibe to it, but not as soul crushingly difficult. I tried to get into Dark Souls a number of times but I couldn't stand the repetitious nature of it. Repetitious because I'm terrible at it. Absolver has a gradual learning curve in being a kick ass martial artist I can get into.

^I definitely heard the matching called out in various reviews. Getting wrecked by someone who's higher level or with high-level-weapons isn't unheard of in Dark Souls but always seemed to me a minor scar and just sort of part of the punishment of the game. In Absolver I can see it being a real issue not matching opponents better because it's truly focused on PVP, whereas that was just an aspect of DS. The fighting in Absolver really does seem interesting and unique, though, and I'm curious what other things the devs have in line for it. All the reviews mention that they're planning continuing free upgrades to the game, so if they really expand things beyond just more fight club modes or whatever then it could get interesting quickly.

Are the weapons any good paranerd? I know they're not the focus of the fighting but I've seen little about them, I get the impression they're nothing special?

Edited by auxien

I've purposely avoided dealing with weapons at this point to focus on simply getting better at fighting, so I don't know much about them. You can pick up weapons you come across, but I don't have the impression they give an advantage unless you learn how to fight with them.

There's a balance of being strong or being fast, how heavy your armor is, being good at defensive parrying against people who spam combos, knowing when to take a hit to let the opponent drain their stamina for a counter, when to dodge, knowing what attack is best in the particular stance you're in, etc etc. When paired with someone of equal caliber and lvl, it really feels like a fair and balanced combat system. And learning how to be defensive instead of button mashing rewards you by learning new moves faster to then have more options in building your combat deck.