IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Dark Forces from 1995 was the one Star Wars game that didn't feel like a cookie cutter dev project. Lucas Arts were genuinely innovating with it in the game industry at the time. I could(n't) care less if it didn't have light sabers and Jedi powers.

Dark Forces from 1995 was the one Star Wars game that didn't feel like a cookie cutter dev project. Lucas Arts were genuinely innovating with it in the game industry at the time. I could(n't) care less if it didn't have light sabers and Jedi powers.

That was 22 years ago, the cash printing machines are extremely well oiled now and their owners are rich and fat.

replaying Resident Evil 4 for the first time since it came out, really enjoying it. it puzzles me though that there's supposed to be a bit where Ashley wears a suit of armor but that didn't happen at all on my playthrough. maybe I missed some optional bit.

apart from some manky textures in some places, and some reeeally grimy low-quality cutscenes in Separate Ways (seriously looks like a puddle of brown), the HD version keeps up nicely even now. I attribute this to Japanese horror game design/aesthetics from back, including effective use of fog and rain.

That was 22 years ago, the cash printing machines are extremely well oiled now and their owners are rich and fat.

eh? the old republic games were no good? =/

replaying Resident Evil 4 for the first time since it came out, really enjoying it. it puzzles me though that there's supposed to be a bit where Ashley wears a suit of armor but that didn't happen at all on my playthrough. maybe I missed some optional bit.

apart from some manky textures in some places, and some reeeally grimy low-quality cutscenes in Separate Ways (seriously looks like a puddle of brown), the HD version keeps up nicely even now. I attribute this to Japanese horror game design/aesthetics from back, including effective use of fog and rain.

IIRC you can unlock Ashley's suit of armor by completing the game on Medium. Not the sexiest apparel option, but rendering her basically invincible makes up for it. Which is nice, because having to babysit her for half of the game was RE4's greatest letdown IMHO.

eh? the old republic games were no good? =/

I wouldn't know. Haven't played them.

I thought they were great. They're basically what led to the mass effect games (having been made by bioware). Almost identical mechanics. They were fairly long.

Basically Mass Effect but set in the star wars universe? I mean, they're kind of dated at this point in time, but at the time I really thought they were like nothing else.

Never played any of the Mass Effects either. Guess I've always been rather picky with gaming. Sometimes a game overlaps between popularity and personal appeal, and sometimes it doesn't. But either way I usually choose based on the latter.

Since finishing Wolf 2: TNC I've been playing Day R Survival on mobile exclusively. It's basically Fallout in Russia in an alternate 1990s. And you can explore the whole country. It's all text and pictures though; no animations except for player cursor on the map.
I'm taking on the steepest quest in the game right now, trying to gather a shitload of materials to help some dude build a nuclear-powered strip mine dump truck. Just now got done delivering the last nuclear reactor part from Chernobyl, but still have a ways to go in order to complete the grocery list. Plus I need a bunch of materials to build a steel forge just to produce all the steel required for this behemoth.

Edited by ambermonk

Beat the final Chalice stuff in Bloodborne. It was pretty garbage but the last boss was cool. Should've put her in the main game instead of hiding her away like that.

I liked that they did some really cool/difficult/unique bosses in the chalice dungeons, really made them worth visiting imo. I liked running the chalices more than most people though so my opinion is maybe skewed against the norm.

is anyone getting Rocket League for Switch? Cross platform play will be cool, just wondering if there will be a sustained player base for an older game, warranting the purchase.

Can you link accounts across platforms? ie get all your stats tracked and cosmetic stuff on any platform you buy it on?

Don't think so ! I bought it yesterday and the game immediately created my profile based on my Switch account. You also can only create lobbies with your Switch friends (for now at least).

But it's a BLAST to play it on handheld mode !!