IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Is anyone getting Xenoblade 2? If so, can they explain the battle system and what gives the game such a cult following, this one doesn't have mechs which I thought must have been the coolest element of the Wii U game.

aargh I was so close to beating the 60min mark and 100%'ing the game again

kSlvQnr.png

it's really fucking tight, I don't know how some of the top players are getting times of 45mins and shit.

Edited by usagi

SteamWorld Dig on Switch

Its not procedurally generated.

Its a metroid-vania game at its finest.

Edited by acid1

ugh, they're glitching it. that's lame as shit, I've never liked glitch runs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJbKH-qqTxI

lol... at least they added a seperate leaderboard:

"Feeling competitive? Have a flair for breaking games? Completing Speedrun as devs intended no longer cuts it? Glitchrun may be just perfect for you! We're introducing separate leaderboards to reward players who have found glitches and exploits in the game which allow skipping arenas. We bet you cannot finish Speedrun in less than 30 minutes. Want to prove us wrong?"

i guess it's more convenient to implement than try to fix the glitchiness.

still haven't found the time for a second try, kudos for your record tho!

speedruns are always broken down into a huge number of niche categories though. dark souls has tonnes of them, depending on which path you take, or glitches your exploit or whatevs. 

Edited by messiaen

Yeah speedrunning is a scene that is mostly fueled by finding glitches and the like (eg you can beat Elder Scrolls: Morrowind in like 3 mins). Nothing wrong with that but sometimes you wanna prove yourself in the legit framework of the game.

sure, finding and absusing glitches is a sport in its own right and as long as leaderboards are seperated it's a win / win / win situation i guess à la "if ya can't beat em...".

that being said

U7LYL1c.gif

to usagi for managing things like a MANE!!

not even a minute from top 10 fame now... ARE U UP FOR IT? won't ask how you did, i think figuring out most effective setups / tactics is part of the fun.

Finding it difficult to get into games lately. All I see is the game designer's plan for me. I feel like a rat placed at the maze's beginning and being told to find the cheese. I'm not really 'exploring', I'm just finding the stuff the designers hid.

i mean... you would find it very difficult to escape the reality of that viewpoint though. i dont think algorithmically generated or naturally occurring computer games have made much traction yet. 

Finding it difficult to get into games lately. All I see is the game designer's plan for me. I feel like a rat placed at the maze's beginning and being told to find the cheese. I'm not really 'exploring', I'm just finding the stuff the designers hid.

Maybe this sort of thing will at least obscure the 'plan' enough to get you into it?

https://lorenschmidt.itch.io/strawberrycubes

i mean... you would find it very difficult to escape the reality of that viewpoint though. i dont think algorithmically generated or naturally occurring computer games have made much traction yet. 

I find randomly generating games are worse. It's more like I play the game and think 'ah, that was a dumb design choice' or 'that was quite clever!' I can never just shut up and play the game: I'm always deconstructing it, the decisions that went into everything, etc. Even in playing Drakengard 3, which is great (sort of), I keep deconstructing it rather than just playing.

I can still play games, but there are not many I get immersed in so that I forget the fact it was made by someone.

I find randomly generating games are worse. It's more like I play the game and think 'ah, that was a dumb design choice' or 'that was quite clever!' I can never just shut up and play the game: I'm always deconstructing it, the decisions that went into everything, etc. Even in playing Drakengard 3, which is great (sort of), I keep deconstructing it rather than just playing.

I can still play games, but there are not many I get immersed in so that I forget the fact it was made by someone.

Do you approach books or other forms of expression the same way? I know what you mean btw and I've been in a similar trend. Everything in games seems so intentional, kind of transparent. Plot device this, game mechanism that. etc. 

Not sure if it's a sign of depression or what. Edit: I mean not being able to find pleasure or whatever in entertainment.

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

Do you approach books or other forms of expression the same way? I know what you mean btw and I've been in a similar trend. Everything in games seems so intentional, kind of transparent. Plot device this, game mechanism that. etc. 

Not sure if it's a sign of depression or what. Edit: I mean not being able to find pleasure or whatever in entertainment.

P. much. I read a book and think 'ah, that was a clever bit of writing', or 'this writer knows how to structure well', and so on. Music is the only one I just imbibe without thinking of it too much.

I can find pleasure in these things, even when I am deconstructing it, and continue to play games and always will, but that it was wrought by a human hand is a thought rarely far away. But I do play far less games lately...

Edited by Bechuga

75% through gta 5. I'm digging it more now, trying to get all the trophies is probably never going to happen, Def not the online ones anyway. So I feel the acting was really good, very entertaining, travor is a crack up! Michaels' family are just such cunts though what to shoot em every time haha.

Also giving the PES lite version a go myclub is far more difficult than Fut I find, maybe due to the disgusting lag and shit response times!