IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Reviews for Far Cry 5 look promising. And having actually lived in Montana for 4 years when I was a wee lad, the in-game environments look pretty accurate for how I remember the landscape.

Really tempted to blow that 60 bucks...

You can get it today on PSN for 48.00 using a promo code - Google search it

Reviews for Far Cry 5 look promising. And having actually lived in Montana for 4 years when I was a wee lad, the in-game environments look pretty accurate for how I remember the landscape.

Really tempted to blow that 60 bucks...

You can get it today on PSN for 48.00 using a promo code - Google search it

I don't have a Playstation though, only PC :sad:

Reviews for Far Cry 5 look promising.

Really? Most reviews I’ve seen have been mediocre. I just wanna play FarCry 3 again

A reputable game reviewer I follow on YouTube said he basically recommends it after already putting 25 hours into it, because apparently there's plenty of room to just do whatever you want, including fishing. Also, apparently you can get a bear named Cheeseburger as a companion. :trashbear: :trashbear: :trashbear:

Aside from that, he mentioned that it pretty much follows the same formula from previous games in the series overall. And he likened the expectation of major divergence to expecting The Simpsons to become live action, which makes sense. But it still sounds like you have a greater degree of gameplay freedom over previous installments.

One thing worth mentioning though; apparently Far Cry Arcade, the FC engine map editor/game creator that's included, is still incomplete. So I'd expect only the main product to be playable at this time.

Whelp, I ended up buying it and put in about 1.5 hours. I like it so far. My first companion got a little glitchy though, still acting on full alert even after liberating a PGE (Eden's Gate) camp. They're basically the Christian ISIS of Montana.

Also got strangely Bioshock Infinite vibes from the prologue, which just happened to be released exactly 5 years prior.

a wipeout collection is on sale and will have vr support patched in later.

VR patch is out, and it's incredible!

a wipeout collection is on sale and will have vr support patched in later.

VR patch is out, and it's incredible!

Hell yeah. I was going to mention that I got The Omega Wipeout collection in the mail the other day after the psn sale ended but I found it was on sale with amazon prime for like $20. Heard the patch came out today so I tried playing some of it non-vr before putting on the headset. Without the headset it was pretty fun. 

with the headset

1437410017_cat_gets_freaked_out_from_flo

I think I'd spew if I played that.

I've been messing around with the comfort settings and have come the closest to motion sickness I ever have. Fortunately the offer a ton of options so you can nerf it pretty hard if need be. Anyways, it's fucking incredible.

Guest Ovitus

Redout VR is similar for the PC and I think it actually improves my game playing VR in cockpit mode. I guess it's just that you can react to turns easier in first person. I'd like to totally geek out and try a proper VR racing sim like Assetto Corsa with a Direct Drive steering wheel. Too expensive though and I'm not that into the racing genre.. figure I do enough of that during my daily commute, minus the GT, plus traffic.

The new God of War looks pretty damn fun... Also curious about FarCry 5 never really played FarCry before but this one looks good, and I like the story concept.

Dunno anyone else whose a fan of MI. But if you follow Ron Gilbert's blog, he posted a video that's a great analysis of SoMI:

This game was my childhood, much love for it along with others like Loom and Grim Fandango.

Interesting vid. The first three Monkey Islands were definitely The Games of my childhood. I especially loved and still love MI2. I still play it about once a year.

MI3 is the first more modern looking one but it still was a great point & click adventure. I remember initially being a bit disappointed on how the made Guybrush look in it, because in MI2 he looked like this cool dude with a beard (or at least that's how I imagined it looking at the pixels and ofc the box art etc..) but the look grew on me fast and I consider that game still to be a real classic. All the voice acting and animation was fantastic and it had that Monkey Island magic feeling.

The fourth game was a total disappointment when it came out. Even as a kid I knew it sucked. The 3d graphics totally ruined the whole thing and made everything look like shit. I think I forced my way through it once but never since I've touched it.

Later on I played the Tales of Monkey Island games and they were ok. They had a decent amount of that MI atmosphere and some nice puzzles. Not a big fan of the graphic style there but it was ok I guess.

Guest Ovitus

Yeah I hear you on that, except I went from SoMI --> CoMI and didn't even know about MI2:LR until years later. I think it's purely nostalgia based that I favor those two latter games. That was when my dad had replaced our DOS PC with a Win95 IBM and the internet was still considered a luxury...Won't ever have the opportunity of randomly picking up a physical copy of a game like The Longest Journey without inadvertently reading everybody and their grandmother's opinion of it on Steam or elsewhere. Plus walkthroughs were less accessible and therefore harder to cave in on.

All I remember from EMI was having a fever high while playing it, but yeah even then it was disappointing. MI2 is great, but the ending was too open ended and took the Empire Strikes back parody too far IMO.. Hopefully Ron Gilbert gets an opportunity to tie loose ends, but I think it was probably the cooperative effort between him and Tim Schaeffer's writing that made these games so good to begin with, dunno if that can happen again.. CoMI is the exception as it was lead by a different team, but yeah I think the whole is greater then the sum of its parts here. Anyway, I should get on finishing Thimbleweed Park which is, if nothing else, a great throwback to that SCUMM era.

I first saw SMI at my uncle's place. SMI and Prince of Persia ruled my fucking life. Every time I visited my sister and I would play those two games. Those two games made me even more fascinated with video games because SMI had absolutely gorgeous visuals and the animations (later I found out it was rotoscoped) in Prince of Persia were so smooth. I remember my parents seeing SMI and saying, "It's like watching a cartoon!".

Anyway, when I was 6 my dad said my sister and I could pick a game and we chose SMI. I still have that big and beautiful box in my closet alongside all the other LucasArts games.

Maybe 2 years later I remember walking around an electronics store and while I was randomly digging around in a box full of games and there it fucking was... LeChuck's Revenge. I had no idea there was a sequel and I must have been so hyped that my parents bought it for me. It was even more beautiful than the original. The game kept crashing though, so we returned it. But for some reason and in contrast to SMI you only had to use the anti piracy mix'n'mojo wheel once. So even though we had handed the game back in I was able to continue to play it. It kept crashing though and I remember how it kept crashing over and over and over when Guybrush crawls into the box that gets shipped to LeChuck's fortress. I think I eventually finished LeChuck's Revenge before ever finishing SMI.

Holy shit... now I want to play LeChuck's Revenge again.

Also, I think those games are the reason why I love reggae and dub so much...

Anyway, I should get on finishing Thimbleweed Park which is, if nothing else, a great throwback to that SCUMM era.

Ooh thanks for reminding me of that game. I think I need to get it.

do. it's a proper treat, bit straight forward puzzle-wise maybe but you'll feel right at home, all fuzzy n shit. honestly felt kinda sad when it was over (and the ending rocks opposed to what alot of ppl say imo). delores <3

couldn't beat monkey island 2 on normal mode back in the day without a guide, lots of stuff is seriously far out and wouldn't make much sense in translation, like using the stiff monkey as a wrench. still know 1 inside out (the remake can't hold a candle art-wise imo) as well as day of the tentacle. oh the times.

Edited by jaderpansen

looks like the PC version with DSFix.

Pretty much! Was totally expecting a fully updated lighting engine to make the whole thing look better with not too much effort.

Played Thimbleweed Park through during the weekend. Can't say precisely how I feel about it but here are some thoughts..

It certainly had that 90s LucasArts Point & Click feel to it. Altogether I had a lot of fun playing it but in the end it left a bit of an empty feeling. The art was great, most of the puzzles were good and the story was interesting until the end. The meta-jokes were a fun thing at first, because all the old Lucasarts adventures are my old favorite games, so it's nice to recognise those in-jokes. Some of the characters in the game, playable and unplayable were left feeling a bit thin. The voice acting was passable and especially Ransome was great with the unbeeped DLC.

My main complaint was basically the ending. It felt like it just suddenly threw away all the previous exciting progress in the plot and went for a stupid gimmick. I really just wanted it to be a funny and weird murder mystery game tbh. The whole thing turned out to be about the meta-jokes in the end.

Also I have to say that at times the game felt a bit overwhelming with 5 playable characters with almost full inventories and no idea what to do next. Also at times when I felt stuck I had to use the hint-line in the game just to notice that I had basically been trying to do the right thing all along but the game somehow got me to think that there's a specific game mechanic you need to use. Also it was annoying that you actually had a lot of unusable items in your inventory that made it all more confusing.

But all that aside, I'd still say it's a fine nostalgic-feeling adventure game. Would recommend to anyone who has already played the old classics and wants some more of that. I'm glad I played it but it wasn't perfect.  :catsalute:

looks like the PC version with DSFix.

Pretty much! Was totally expecting a fully updated lighting engine to make the whole thing look better with not too much effort.

Is there any news on pricing for the DS1 remaster? I'd love to play it through again but if it's going to be $40+ I can wait. I don't have PSPlus right now so I can't go online and rek newbs anywayz

Edited by auxien

[...]

My main complaint was basically the ending. It felt like it just suddenly threw away all the previous exciting progress in the plot and went for a stupid gimmick. I really just wanted it to be a funny and weird murder mystery game tbh.

[...]

obviously spoilerish territory: ...

i honestly felt kinda moved by the way the characters still went for individual closure despite the futility of it all. kinda like rl.  (also the ending is almost following a tadition by now, can't say i didn't see it coming, which might actually be considered a problem... but i didn't care)

I never got around to finishing Thimbleweed Park. I really didn’t like the two detectives’ voices. The clown was ok, but the “joke” got old pretty quickly...

Can someone recommend me a light entertaining pc game that will run well/not take up too much drive space on a 2009 Dell Laptop Windows 10, 4GB ram, Core2duo, integrated intel graphics. Something not too serious a commitment but something entertaining/intriguing. The weirder the better.

Can someone recommend me a light entertaining pc game that will run well/not take up too much drive space on a 2009 Dell Laptop Windows 10, 4GB ram, Core2duo, integrated intel graphics. Something not too serious a commitment but something entertaining/intriguing. The weirder the better.

From earlier today...

https://kotaku.com/25-great-games-you-can-play-on-laptops-and-low-end-pcs-1824288109