IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

I'll be playing Dead Cells once it's finished. not touching any early-access stuff.

edit: also hyped for Doot the Re-Dootening, obvs

Edited by usagi

I'll be playing Dead Cells once it's finished. not touching any early-access stuff.

Actually it went 1.0 roughly a week ago. It's been on my wishlist for quite a while now... but i've got too much unfinished business *cough*

Been playing more adventure games and just finished off Wadjeteye's series. I highly recommend The Blackwell Legacy series to anyone who likes point and clicks. They're the equivalent of those non-fiction books that you see at the grocery store in length and tone, but the guy who writes them is *very* good, if not one of the best adventure game writers currently developing. It involves a woman named Rosa who comes from a family lineage that can talk to the dead and send lost ghosts to the next world, and spans across roughly 40 years with the in-game mechanics and character development reflecting it. The characters, settings and plots are all strong (the second episode was probably the weakest but was still good), voice acting is on par and the puzzles are just the right amount of difficulty: not easy but they make sense in the game world. The last game in the series was full length, high budget and had the perfect ending that took me completely off guard.

There are references in the game to Wadgeteye's first game, The Shivah (game was so-so), but they are mostly constrained to easter eggs than anything related to the story. It is worth playing through the first four to play the 5th because of the past references, questions and stories all being neatly answered and tied up. Their other adventure games are good B to A- grade products with the weakest of the adventures series on there probably a toss between A Golden Wake and Gemini Rue. The former has very interesting settings and detail, but the character writing, poorly-responsive action sequences, puzzles are bad and non-nonsensical plot twists. Aside from that, the Blackwell series is probably the most successful and has the most effort put into it. It shows!

They just released a new Shadowrun-esque adventure game, Unavowed, that I'm going through now.

Edited by Entorwellian

I’ll be headed to Gamescom in a week to show off the game I’ve been working on for about a year. Pretty excited about this.

Good luck! By all accounts Gamescom is a bloodbath on the public-attending side of things, hope that doesn't spill over for yourself.

I’ll be headed to Gamescom in a week to show off the game I’ve been working on for about a year. Pretty excited about this.

hey cool! what's your game?

Good luck! By all accounts Gamescom is a bloodbath on the public-attending side of things, hope that doesn't spill over for yourself.

lol what do you mean by this? I've never been, but I'm imagining hordes of neckbeards and scrawny nerds clamouring over each other to play the Next Big Thing.

Anyhow sounds super cool Squee, good luck!

I have 40 achievements (10%) left to 100% Isaac. they're mostly going to be real pain in the ass type achievements like getting a 5-win streak with all different characters etc.

i have only 1 left, finish the entire game in 20 minutes picking up no bombs or hearts. its the most annoying challange ever, because when you get a room that it is just a bridge through the middle, and then a heart drops on it, your run is over. 

got this one the other day. I used Azazel for it, since he can fly over most of the shit you don't want to pick up. having an activated item that can give you soul hearts or black hearts is a must, unless you're an untouchable player which I most definitely am not.

also, I just beat Delirium as the Lost! so fucking tense. only just reached him with Mom's Knife to finish him off before he nearly got me (already spent my Holy Mantle one-time protection for that room). if I hadn't had like an obscene 40+ damage stat combined with the huge multiplier provided by the knife at the end of its arc, I'd've been done for. edit: and if I hadn't had like a thousand bone orbitals shielding me using Book of the Dead in countless rooms beforehand, I'd've been wiped out much quicker anyway.

orgasmic moment as 3 achievements unlocked: Holy Card, Godhead, and Real Platinum God. I'm down to my last 11 achievements now. they're all Keeper shit though, who is even worse to play than the Lost, and possibly the worst character in the whole game. edit: plus my last challenge run, Ultra Hard.

Edited by usagi

replaying circle of the moon on retroarch. did u know there's crowdsourced achievements for emulators now? dank: https://retroachievements.org/user/juiceciuj

picked up dead cells after i started replaying cotm as i didn't know it had gone gold yet. might return it and buy it again later when it's cheaper as it wasn't nearly as fun as blasting through rooms in cotm

Started up Mafia III since it's free with PS+ this month, I'd been meaning to play it for a while. Not too far but pretty damn good so far, good gameplay and the story seems well told.

That's good to hear because the first one is already in my Steam library :)

Dishonored 2 is a big improvement over 1. Both are good, but some of the levels in 2 are insanely innovative.

the recommendations for Dishonored were great.  finished 1 and the expansions, now onto 2.  is quite an excellent series.