IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

bought sekiro and holy shit the 2nd time you meet the tutorial boss is just ridiculous. I was so happy to have beat his 2nd health bar and he just turns into enel and zaps my ass. what the fuck? that's where progression stops, right? 

spoilers!  :sad:

bought sekiro and holy shit the 2nd time you meet the tutorial boss is just ridiculous. I was so happy to have beat his 2nd health bar and he just turns into enel and zaps my ass. what the fuck? that's where progression stops, right? 

No.. lol, there's much more progression past him, and things get worse.

Borderlands 3 went Epic timed exclusive. No surprise really. But at least it's for 6 months and not a full year.

Fucking Epic. They're riding their success from Fortnite last year and now they're full-on Napoleonic, despite having a subpar, spyware-ridden game launcher. And yes, I've had an Epic account and a questionable experience with them. Time to up developers' revenue on Steam to 90 percent, Gaben.

able to elaborate on the questionable experience with epic? 

the whole spyware claims are all very confusing to me, especially since it all seems to be sourced from someone on reddit making claims and none of what they're talking about makes much sense to me (me not being tech savvy literate). 

the whole spyware claims are all very confusing to me, especially since it all seems to be sourced from someone on reddit making claims and none of what they're talking about makes much sense to me (me not being tech savvy literate). 

Tencent own a majority stake in Epic Games, so…

Also, just the fact that you must be online to play games is reason enough to boycott it. Then on top of that there's this exclusivity thing. Fuck Epic Games. I won't be buying anything on there, and I won't support this exclusivity bullshit.

how’s exclusivity a new thing tho? that’s been standard practice for a while now?

no one boycotted sony cos bloodborne, or boycotted nintendo cos batmyonetta 2. or destiny on blizzard launcher?

ten cent own a stake in epic but that doesn’t mean it’s the chinese govment spying on you ???

bayonetta^*

how’s exclusivity a new thing tho? that’s been standard practice for a while now?

no one boycotted sony cos bloodborne, or boycotted nintendo cos batmyonetta 2. or destiny on blizzard launcher?

ten cent own a stake in epic but that doesn’t mean it’s the chinese govment spying on you ???

bayonetta^*

You're telling me I didn't boycott those things?

Thanks for that, I guess…

but that's how business gets done these days? 

a publisher makes a deal with a developer, makes money arrangements for production to take place, and then the game gets released, and in some cases, it gets released as an exclusive. if you're taking the moral ground on not playing a game based on exclusivity, then you're pretty much limiting yourself to not playing literally anything except games released 20 years ago on a rasberry pi illegally. 

also, regarding tencent... they kind of own everything these days...

As of March 2018, Tencent is the largest video game company in the world.[156] Tencent majority-owns game companies Grinding Gear Games (80%),[157] Miniclip (undisclosed majority stake),[158] Riot Games (100%)[159] Epic Games (40%),[160] Activision Blizzard (5%),[161] Ubisoft (5%),[162] and Supercell (84.3%).[163]

i hope you're not playing nintendo games on the rasberry pi because most of those were exclusives too.. and that's morally wrong. 

but that's how business gets done these days? 

a publisher makes a deal with a developer, makes money arrangements for production to take place, and then the game gets released, and in some cases, it gets released as an exclusive. if you're taking the moral ground on not playing a game based on exclusivity, then you're pretty much limiting yourself to not playing literally anything except games released 20 years ago on a rasberry pi illegally. 

also, regarding tencent... they kind of own everything these days...

As of March 2018, Tencent is the largest video game company in the world.[156] Tencent majority-owns game companies Grinding Gear Games (80%),[157] Miniclip (undisclosed majority stake),[158] Riot Games (100%)[159] Epic Games (40%),[160] Activision Blizzard (5%),[161] Ubisoft (5%),[162] and Supercell (84.3%).[163]

i hope you're not playing nintendo games on the rasberry pi because most of those were exclusives too.. and that's morally wrong. 

Yeah, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree here, and that's all I'm gonna say on it. 

bayonetta^*

You're telling me I didn't boycott those things?

this pretty much answers my original question tho, of .. how is epic store any different to other stores and platforms having exclusives. if the answer is, it's no different. 

Yeah, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree here, and that's all I'm gonna say on it. 

i'm not agreeing to disagree at all. i'm just disagreeing. 

Edited by bitchroast

DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu

=D

It only took me 9 years, but I finally made it into the Ura loop...

=P

Congrats! I’ve only recently discovered how amazing and difficult the Cave games are. I’m about to dive into this genre.

The fact that I've had at least three login attempts from unknown parties to my Epic account last year might have something to do with it (before I uninstalled the game launcher). Never had that problem with Steam, which I've used since its debut in 2001.

I recently upgraded both my computers, and tried out Steam In-House streaming again (since I have a main workstation that can handle new games)

It's fucking ace. Even over wifi on my router set-up, it's proper nice.

The fact that I've had at least three login attempts from unknown parties to my Epic account last year might have something to do with it (before I uninstalled the game launcher). Never had that problem with Steam, which I've used since its debut in 2001.

damn. ye fuck that, fair enough!

damn. ye fuck that, fair enough!

i constantly get emails about attempts on my epic account. luckily i've never put any financial data in it as i've only accessed free stuff (some buds wanted me to play fortnite for a bit) and i've added the free games they're offering now from their store to my digitally hoarded archive. for me as a user it offers me nothing (other than free stuff). i can see the appeal to developers. can only hope it does indeed force valve to get off their ass (they've already pushed a number of ui updates and a another big one on the horizon).

DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu

=D

=P

Congrats! I’ve only recently discovered how amazing and difficult the Cave games are. I’m about to dive into this genre.

Ha, thanks!

If I could make a suggestion - I'd fully recommend checking out Mushihimesama (Bug Panic) - it's easily the most straight-forward bullet-hell title from Cave that I've played. The 'Original' mode is just - shoot enemies, collect gems, find enemies that you can 'grind' (by staying as close to them as you can) for gems, and don't get hit. The other gameplay modes included get more fancy with the scoring systems, but it's still probably the most accessible (in terms of getting to know the genre - not difficulty - the game can be ridiculously hard, especially on higher difficulty settings) Cave's library.

Oh... and this is a great resource if you're interested in getting to know the scoring systems and just general ins and outs of bullet-hell games (I linked a search that should show most of Cave's games) - http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/?s=bullet+hell+cave+shoot-em-up

Good luck! 

=D

Aware that I sound like a broken record, but it’d be such a no-brainier to port all those cave shooters to Switch. Cave is such a weird money hating company though, I’m sure they go out of business before that happens.

Yeah, I was pretty upset when they stopped porting games to iDevices and Androids because of low sales figures. 

But with a lot of titles already having been ported to touch-screens and spread across consoles (with the controller interface already taken care of and HD graphics ready to go), I don't see why they wouldn't want to make whatever changes would need to be made to release them on the Nintendo Game Store. It seems like it would be a minimal amount of work for a decent pay out. There may not be as many Cave fans as there are with other development teams, but the fans they do have are FUCKING RABID. 

I would shell out the $$ for a Switch if they just ported 3 or 4 of their titles over, and buy each one with a fucking smile on my face no matter how much they set the prices at (within reason, of course - I don't know if I would shell out more than around $50 for anything I already have on another gaming platform but if they ported Ketsui: KJT or Ibara or Guwange or Progear - I'd easily drop between $60-$120 for those, though I think a couple would need complete reworks). 

=X

babble babble babble....

Sorry for the rambling. 

CAVE FUCKING RULES!!!

Why do you think Raspberry Pi is an imperfect way of emulating games? Why is a PC an imperfect way also?

How are these 'official' re-releases (some of which have been found to be using open source emulators that run on Raspberry Pi / PC anyway) more perfect? 

The thing about FPGAs/Mister is that instead of a computer program emulating the hardware (like you would with Snes9x or Dolphin or whatever else) it is actual hardware emulating the desired hardware. So if you compare Retropie games with games running on a Mister you'll notice that the Mister produces a LOT sharper images and the sound is also way more crisp - just like you remember it from the 80s/90s.

Also, people are using FPGAs to emulate old synths now. It's pretty amazing actually.

good furthermore of this explanation > https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki/Why-FPGA

what old synths you referring to there? 

i'm getting increasingly curious and closer to biting the bullet on the MISTER. it sure as hell ain't cheap, but it seems like a fun thing to tinker on, and it seems there's enough of a community around the MISTER ensuring updates are coming out to in pretty timely fashion atm, to keep the thing fresh and interesting. 

DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu

=D

=P

Ha, thanks!

If I could make a suggestion - I'd fully recommend checking out Mushihimesama (Bug Panic) - it's easily the most straight-forward bullet-hell title from Cave that I've played. The 'Original' mode is just - shoot enemies, collect gems, find enemies that you can 'grind' (by staying as close to them as you can) for gems, and don't get hit. The other gameplay modes included get more fancy with the scoring systems, but it's still probably the most accessible (in terms of getting to know the genre - not difficulty - the game can be ridiculously hard, especially on higher difficulty settings) Cave's library.

Oh... and this is a great resource if you're interested in getting to know the scoring systems and just general ins and outs of bullet-hell games (I linked a search that should show most of Cave's games) - http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/?s=bullet+hell+cave+shoot-em-up

Good luck! 

=D

Thanks for the info and link!

I have some experience playing Espgaluda and DoDonPachi, so I'm a little familiar with some of the scoring mechanics. I've been browsing through a bunch of Cave games in MAME to see what clicks and they're all pretty great in their own unique ways.