IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

1 hour ago, juiceciuj said:

ffvii looks like it could be good even though it won't be finished before we die

It really does. Yeah pre-orders are up already saying first part is out March 2020. "First Class" Preorder = $300....

too rich for my blood

Level 19 boss in Gyruss is kicking my ass, I know I got past it in grade school (on a rental no less) but I've got no chance against it when I get there now.

Also, since I got a new(ish) laptop recently I've been getting back into Besiege a bit.

Edited by TubularCorporation

23 hours ago, yekker said:

The controllers were crap too, right?

Do you mean on the NEO·GEO X, or the Mini? On the X, the controller was a decent repro of the original, with the microswitches for the joystick and squishy, floaty buttons.

On the Mini, no microswitches (on the cabinet controller or the control pads) and are awful to play with.

14 hours ago, Nebraska said:

umm really hoping they don't fuck up something as simple as not having a boarder/screen around the game play like they have in this demo.

also, loved how the suit asked that "associate localization producer" how they selected the games and he tried a generic "a lot of thought went into that" then failed and admitted he had no idea why they selected what they did. wonder why he just couldn't admit he had no idea in the first place. 

The border is there due to aspect ratio... I would think it worse to stretch it out or cut off part of the screen...

13 hours ago, markedone said:

ive only played the snes mini but it has border around the gameplay so that the games are presented in original aspect ratio.  on the snes mini it was a rather distracting red curtain.  I dont own one but imagine that in both cases you can turn them off to just have black on the sides

:cisfor:

5 hours ago, juiceciuj said:

ffvii looks like it could be good even though it won't be finished before we die

I'm starting to become interested in the remake... supposedly the first game (which takes up 2 Blu Ray discs) is only Midgard, which in the original was around 5-10% of the game. They've supposedly fleshed out the story and characters for that part of the game and so far from the initial hands on at E3, it's been worth the wait.

47 minutes ago, Joyrex said:
6 hours ago, juiceciuj said:

I'm starting to become interested in the remake... supposedly the first game (which takes up 2 Blu Ray discs) is only Midgard, which in the original was around 5-10% of the game. They've supposedly fleshed out the story and characters for that part of the game and so far from the initial hands on at E3, it's been worth the wait.

Yeah I noticed that - I don't really understand this tbh. My understanding is the whole remake was being broken into 2 games, 3 games MAX. So how did the first 3hrs of the original ff7 turn into an entire game?

And does that mean the rest of the game proportionally is going to be short or... Midgar shouldn't take up 1/2 of the remake. :psyduck:

edit: according to some articles 1st "episode" will be "dozens" (2? lol) of hours, and they're anticipating much more than 2 games now I guess. Not sure if I'm super happy about that, or annoyed. =/

Edited by StephenG

32 minutes ago, StephenG said:

Yeah I noticed that - I don't really understand this tbh. My understanding is the whole remake was being broken into 2 games, 3 games MAX. So how did the first 3hrs of the original ff7 turn into an entire game?

And does that mean the rest of the game proportionally is going to be short or... Midgar shouldn't take up 1/2 of the remake. :psyduck:

edit: according to some articles 1st "episode" will be "dozens" (2? lol) of hours, and they're anticipating much more than 2 games now I guess. Not sure if I'm super happy about that, or annoyed. =/

Probably will end up as 4 games, 8 Blu Rays, and if they don't step it up, they are going to run the risk of having it on a legacy system (although the next PlayStation is already confirmed by Sony to be backwards-compatible with PS4 games). You would think once they have the majority of the art assets created from this game, the future installments will go faster since there won't be as much to create from scratch...

For sure - not to mention the battle and levelling mechanics etc, once that's all sorted (which it should be now?) it should go much quicker. 

My hope is that there is legit enough content and depth to carry it across that many hours and it's not just a big grind for the sake of stretching it across extra volumes you know? They have a real opportunity here, but a real risk of pissing tons of people off! lol

2 minutes ago, StephenG said:

For sure - not to mention the battle and levelling mechanics etc, once that's all sorted (which it should be now?) it should go much quicker. 

My hope is that there is legit enough content and depth to carry it across that many hours and it's not just a big grind for the sake of stretching it across extra volumes you know? They have a real opportunity here, but a real risk of pissing tons of people off! lol

It's Square - pissing off fans is almost their company credo at this point

21 minutes ago, paranerd said:

Trying for a million in DK and playing DKjr on the side. :gamer:

Donkey Kong Jr. ate so many of my quarters as a young child... very fun game though!

20 hours ago, Joyrex said:

It's Square - pissing off fans is almost their company credo at this point

Can't wait for them to ruin Chrono Trigger eventually! Yay!

12 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Donkey Kong Jr. ate so many of my quarters as a young child... very fun game though!

I've warmed up to it after getting used to the laggy controls. The game has something like 4 to 12 frames of inherent input lag because of a bug in the code. But it's a more predictable and easier game than original Donkey Kong. I've recently cracked 100k and only 2 boards away from getting to lvl5. It then loops and the difficulty caps from then on.

21 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Probably will end up as 4 games, 8 Blu Rays, and if they don't step it up, they are going to run the risk of having it on a legacy system (although the next PlayStation is already confirmed by Sony to be backwards-compatible with PS4 games). You would think once they have the majority of the art assets created from this game, the future installments will go faster since there won't be as much to create from scratch...

except for it seems like they only have the assets for midgar. like every town will be a new set of assets with a completely different feel. i guess most of the time spent in the other cities is far less except than midgar but still... junon, costa del sol, cosmo canyon, rocket town, northern crater, etc...

this game will have the complete edition by the time ps6 comes out (maybe).

i'm hoping that the whole dual bluray thing is to accommodate the fact that this will basically be a ps4/ps5 release with the discs holding additional higher res textures that will be rendered on ps5 without actually making two separate versions of the game.

1 hour ago, juiceciuj said:

except for it seems like they only have the assets for midgar. like every town will be a new set of assets with a completely different feel. i guess most of the time spent in the other cities is far less except than midgar but still... junon, costa del sol, cosmo canyon, rocket town, northern crater, etc...

this game will have the complete edition by the time ps6 comes out (maybe).

i'm hoping that the whole dual bluray thing is to accommodate the fact that this will basically be a ps4/ps5 release with the discs holding additional higher res textures that will be rendered on ps5 without actually making two separate versions of the game.

What I meant was the models (Cloud, Tifa, Aeris, Barrett, that other chick) and the battle system, UI, etc. - all that work is done, so now it's just locale assets, monsters, and new character models and NPC models.

Yeah, it has to - no way just Midgar takes up 100 GB... I can see it now - "Play in 4K @60 on PS5!"

On 5/26/2019 at 7:14 AM, Rubin Farr said:

The Mummy Demastered is a great Metroidvania, with shooting and a recapture/grinding mechanic.  Nice enemy design as well.

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!! I picked it up about 5 or 6 days ago, and have REALLY been enjoying it. Actually, probably more than Axiom Verge ATM. I dunno, I guess I'll see once I complete it. 

I also picked up the early access build of Wayward Souls on Steam. I've gotta say - the changes that they've added so far make it seem almost like a sequel when compared to the state that the mobile version is in. And playing with a controller is fuck'n awesome. And I also got Hyper Light Drifter last night. Knowing nothing about it other than it being an ARPG/Metroidvania mashup, I was incredibly surprised at how good it is so far (about 4 hours into it). Chances are it'll wind up being one of my top 10 favorite games that I've played this year (sucks I didn't hear about it back in 2016 when it was released). 

Finally finished Red Dead 2. Like the first, the game dragged on, and I just wanted it to be over. But still a lot better than the first. I wish the fast travel system worked better. So much riding across the map.

I think I'm finally going to play Breath of the Wild now.

1 hour ago, onecaseman said:

Finally finished Red Dead 2. Like the first, the game dragged on, and I just wanted it to be over. But still a lot better than the first. I wish the fast travel system worked better. So much riding across the map.

I think I'm finally going to play Breath of the Wild now.

Half the fun is exploring the map, though. And all of the random encounters on the way to where you're going.

6 hours ago, ambergonk said:

I've been paying almost no attention to E3 this year. All I heard is that the Bethz conference was a pile of poo.

Doom and Wolfenstein look great, nothing new there. Death Loop has me excited.  

7 hours ago, ambergonk said:

I've been paying almost no attention to E3 this year. All I heard is that the Bethz conference was a pile of poo.

it was crap except the It's Spooky bit. Bethesda haven't made a great game in nearly 2 decades so no surprise there. Some good ones, but nothing special. Not talking about games they produced.

Edited by Brisbot