IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

17 hours ago, Crossword Enthusiast said:

Doom and Wolfenstein look great, nothing new there. Death Loop has me excited.  

Doom Eternal looks promising for sure, but I'm gonna need new hardware if I have any hope of playing it. And getting an upgrade won't be cheap, unlike me.

17 hours ago, Brisbot said:

it was crap except the It's Spooky bit. Bethesda haven't made a great game in nearly 2 decades so no surprise there. Some good ones, but nothing special. Not talking about games they produced.

Yeah Ikumi was adorable. I think Fallout 3 and Skyrim were still the biggest heavy hitters from their in-house devs, and I still occasionally play Fallout 4 with mods. But their development future looks bleak, especially with the advent of CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077, which is all but guaranteed to eclipse them.

Edited by ambergonk
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 8:15 PM, Hk47 said:

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!! I picked it up about 5 or 6 days ago, and have REALLY been enjoying it. Actually, probably more than Axiom Verge ATM. I dunno, I guess I'll see once I complete it. 

I also picked up the early access build of Wayward Souls on Steam. I've gotta say - the changes that they've added so far make it seem almost like a sequel when compared to the state that the mobile version is in. And playing with a controller is fuck'n awesome. And I also got Hyper Light Drifter last night. Knowing nothing about it other than it being an ARPG/Metroidvania mashup, I was incredibly surprised at how good it is so far (about 4 hours into it). Chances are it'll wind up being one of my top 10 favorite games that I've played this year (sucks I didn't hear about it back in 2016 when it was released). 

You might also want to look into Gato Roboto, a metroidvania keeping my attention at the moment...

Oh yeah, Gato Roboto is the closest non-Metroid game out there to classic Metroid. I think I'm about 12 percent in, but keep getting distracted by my second Void Bastards playthrough. Having trouble lately deciding which game to commit to.

Also, Carrion looks pretty savage. (Probably NSFW)

Edited by ambergonk
Anti-redundancy measure

On 6/17/2019 at 8:58 AM, ambergonk said:

Oh yeah, Gato Roboto is the closest non-Metroid game out there to classic Metroid. I think I'm about 12 percent in, but keep getting distracted by my second Void Bastards playthrough. Having trouble lately deciding which game to commit to.

Also, Carrion looks pretty savage. (Probably NSFW)

Damn, that game looks good. Hope it's for xbone when it comes out.

On 6/17/2019 at 10:37 AM, ambergonk said:

Yeah Ikumi was adorable. I think Fallout 3 and Skyrim were still the biggest heavy hitters from their in-house devs, and I still occasionally play Fallout 4 with mods. But their development future looks bleak, especially with the advent of CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077, which is all but guaranteed to eclipse them.

Yeah but as games they weren't that great.  Oblivion and after for them I find their stuff generally alright to boring. There's 1 or 2 good quest lines per game but besides that they lost the plot a long time ago, and each game gets worse. As one example, In the Elder Scroll series they used to have interesting multifaceted dungeons in Daggerfall and Morrowind. Which became worse over each game till Skyrim which literally has linear dungeons with the treasure at the end. Yeah graphically it looked amazing in 2011, especially the northern areas, but it's just not that good of a game. Weak lore. Weak characters. etc etc.

Edited by Brisbot

Just stick with indies. The AAA companies are becoming bloated, corrupt, and impotent, like the US government. Maybe it's a late-stage capitalism thing, I dunno. But I'm seeing nuanced parallels.

To me it seems the 2000s were ruled by Western developers when they had 8 years of strong Xbox 360 sales and user base, which also translated into the thriving PC games market.  Then they got lazy, and as the graphical power of consoles grew in the HD era, Japanese devs were more able to put a Japanese / anime style to their games.  Now I prefer Japanese games, they just seem more innovative, colorful and fun.  Plus they age better.

grabbed Vader Immortal (rift) -- i'm not that much of a SW guy, but this is great. short, but great. gives me the same feels that Disney's Star Tours did back in the 90s

i regret buying yoshi's crafted world after beating it last night. WAY TO EASY. Everything else about it, Great, level design and the look of it and all. I wish i hadn't paid full price for it. Anyways i guess it's time to shelf it and continue some other games i haven't finished, shame.

beat castlevania 1, then botw and simon's quest last week. trying to beat 3 now which i've never done before. got past ghost ship without dying on first attempt. only been this far like once before.

On 6/24/2019 at 12:42 PM, juiceciuj said:

beat castlevania 1, then botw and simon's quest last week. trying to beat 3 now which i've never done before. got past ghost ship without dying on first attempt. only been this far like once before.

I'm trying the Japanese ver. of Castlevania III

• Like 1

been revisiting some old ms-dos classics on android... just finished simon the sorcerer 2 and now I'm playing day of the tentacle... it's sad cause dosbox for android has the arrow keys on the left side making it impossible to play platform games like prince of persia, flashback, another world, etc...