What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

1 minute ago, zkom said:
On 10/8/2019 at 2:18 PM, Joyrex said:
At least it's living up to it's name! :dadjoke:

Like Duke Nukem Forever?

Well, that did eventually come out... sort of

1 hour ago, cloud capture said:

Definitely the regular switch so I have the convenience of both modes of use.

Cool - just make sure you get the newer model (Google on how to tell the difference) - it's highly likely any really good sales on Switch consoles will be the older one (nothing really wrong with that, but the newer models have better battery life).

6 hours ago, zkom said:
On 10/8/2019 at 11:18 AM, Joyrex said:
At least it's living up to it's name! :dadjoke:

Like Duke Nukem Forever?

We can all thank Randy Shitbird for ruining it tho. The only way we'll ever get another faithful, dignified reboot is if Gearbox somehow implodes as a company.

As for Doom Eternal, I don't mind the wait. I'll make sure to buy a Switch Lite before then.

2 hours ago, ambergonk said:

We can all thank Randy Shitbird for ruining it tho. The only way we'll ever get another faithful, dignified reboot is if Gearbox somehow implodes as a company.

Ehhh, I dunno man… 3D Realms spent years dicking around with the game and not actually doing much at all. From the looks of it, when Gearbox got hold of it, there was only so much you could do to make it anywhere near coherent. I remember when I played the game in 2001 thinking that it looked like a game that should've come out in 2005 or something…sure enough, when looking back at the development history and the behind the scenes bonus footage that was included with the game, the last time 3D Realms actually did any half-assed work on it was between 2006-2009.

I think that ultimately the game was a victim of 3D Realms just announcing the game way too early — it was in this time period where the complexity of developing a game was quite a leap (don't forget Duke Nukem 3D came out around the same time as Quake, Duke 3D having sprite enemies and Quake having polygonal 3D enemies). It's quite clear that 3D Realms bit off more than they could chew with the development of this game, and by the time they picked up any speed with one games engine, it was superseded by better technology which would've made all their efforts seem lame.

I think a lot of people forget that 3D Realms were an indie developer. There weren't that many people involved with Duke Nukem 3D. At the end of 3D Realms (before it's become what it is today):

Image result for 3d realms last photo

You look at the end credits for games these days, and they go on for fucking ages (the recent Deus Ex games spring to mind)

It also seems pretty clear Valve have fallen victim to a similar issue — the whole point of the Half-Life series being released in Episodes was to help mitigate the time between releases, but the gap just ended up being as much as a normal full blown iteration, and then all of a sudden nothing. I can totally understand why Valve have canned any further work on the game. The hype for the next Half-Life is too big.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not saying anything there that people here didn't already know or think themselves about it all.

I'm not too bothered about the delay to DOOM Eternal, however I am concerned — a delay that long, announced this close to the intended release date is not a good sign. On top of that, they already know for a fact that they're not going to be able to launch on Nintendo Switch and the game is going to launch without a much-hyped gameplay mode.

16 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Cool - just make sure you get the newer model (Google on how to tell the difference) - it's highly likely any really good sales on Switch consoles will be the older one (nothing really wrong with that, but the newer models have better battery life).

Amazon has the refreshed Switch with a free $25 gift card, I doubt we'll see another game bundle unless maybe a Pokémon bundle?

11 hours ago, oscillik said:

Ehhh, I dunno man… 3D Realms spent years dicking around with the game and not actually doing much at all. From the looks of it, when Gearbox got hold of it, there was only so much you could do to make it anywhere near coherent. I remember when I played the game in 2001 thinking that it looked like a game that should've come out in 2005 or something…sure enough, when looking back at the development history and the behind the scenes bonus footage that was included with the game, the last time 3D Realms actually did any half-assed work on it was between 2006-2009.

I think that ultimately the game was a victim of 3D Realms just announcing the game way too early — it was in this time period where the complexity of developing a game was quite a leap (don't forget Duke Nukem 3D came out around the same time as Quake, Duke 3D having sprite enemies and Quake having polygonal 3D enemies). It's quite clear that 3D Realms bit off more than they could chew with the development of this game, and by the time they picked up any speed with one games engine, it was superseded by better technology which would've made all their efforts seem lame.

I think a lot of people forget that 3D Realms were an indie developer. There weren't that many people involved with Duke Nukem 3D. At the end of 3D Realms (before it's become what it is today):

Image result for 3d realms last photo

You look at the end credits for games these days, and they go on for fucking ages (the recent Deus Ex games spring to mind)

It also seems pretty clear Valve have fallen victim to a similar issue — the whole point of the Half-Life series being released in Episodes was to help mitigate the time between releases, but the gap just ended up being as much as a normal full blown iteration, and then all of a sudden nothing. I can totally understand why Valve have canned any further work on the game. The hype for the next Half-Life is too big.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not saying anything there that people here didn't already know or think themselves about it all.

I'm not too bothered about the delay to DOOM Eternal, however I am concerned — a delay that long, announced this close to the intended release date is not a good sign. On top of that, they already know for a fact that they're not going to be able to launch on Nintendo Switch and the game is going to launch without a much-hyped gameplay mode.

Fair point. But I'm still deeply disappointed with the way Gearbox handled DNF. Granted I've never played it, but I've seen enough reviews and gameplay footage to know that it was a big flop. Forced, tasteless humor, buggy controls, unnecessary drawn-out gameplay sections...I could go on.
But at least we got Ion Maiden Fury this year. Might play that one again at some point.

As for Valve, I think Steam is the biggest thing keeping the company afloat these days. It's still the most reliable online PC store out there (although GOG are stepping up their game lately) and I won't be ditching it any time soon. Can't say anything on the future of Half-Life officially. But I'm sure we'll at least see more third-party HL-based standalone games and mods - hopefully that don't end up a train wreck like Hunt Down The Freeman did in early 2018.

But Doom Eternal was indeed officially announced for the Switch on their FB page I thought, along with the March 2020 release. Unless I missed something?

EDIT: Switch release announcement to come after that of all other platforms, according to the post. So it will happen eventually. We just don't know when yet.

Edited by ambergonk
Editing is fun

Ah, i always enjoy a good whats up with valve discussion.  Random thoughts>

Im just thinking back to how much of a different place i was in in the early 2000s.. playing way too much garrys mod and tf2.. I'd be curious if any new game they put out could get such a "revolutionary" mod following.  Obviously the DIY spirit lives on but it seems more directed at indie development these days rather than mods.

Im actually excited for In the valley of gods because buying up ambitious young talent and pouring money (and probably pressure) down their throats is how their best IP's have come about.

And their attempts to push into new territory on the hardware front are too niche, only marketing to a certain type of pc gamer with too much disposable income.  I dont expect/want them to be nintendo level of appealing to everyone.. but nintendo are at least trying stuff.  Valve has (or at least had) the cashflow from steam be a similar type of industry innovator/wildcard, but they have utterly failed on that potential in the last decade

1 hour ago, ambergonk said:

Fair point. But I'm still deeply disappointed with the way Gearbox handled DNF. Granted I've never played it, but I've seen enough reviews and gameplay footage to know that it was a big flop. Forced, tasteless humor, buggy controls, unnecessary drawn-out gameplay sections...I could go on.
But at least we got Ion Maiden Fury this year. Might play that one again at some point.

As for Valve, I think Steam is the biggest thing keeping the company afloat these days. It's still the most reliable online PC store out there (although GOG are stepping up their game lately) and I won't be ditching it any time soon. Can't say anything on the future of Half-Life officially. But I'm sure we'll at least see more third-party HL-based standalone games and mods - hopefully that don't end up a train wreck like Hunt Down The Freeman did in early 2018.

But Doom Eternal was indeed officially announced for the Switch on their FB page I thought, along with the March 2020 release. Unless I missed something?

EDIT: Switch release announcement to come after that of all other platforms, according to the post. So it will happen eventually. We just don't know when yet.

Basically, even if the game released when 3D Realms last worked on it, it would've been a bit of a tone deaf game. Duke3D was definitely a product of its time. And whilst Gearbox really haven't earned any respect after the endless bullshit that seems to come from their direction, I really don't blame them for Duke Nukem Forever being a flop — that was all on 3D Realms for taking the piss for years, and reigniting the hype machine every so often.

With regards to DOOM Eternal, the fact that the Switch isn't going to be a launch platform anymore is a big deal…when DOOM 2016 came out on the Switch it seemed to be a big thing, and for them not to launch on that console doesn't look good. Also the Invasion Mode not being there at launch is another thing — I personally couldn't care less, I won't be enabling that shit. But it's something they were hyping up and seemed to want as a part of the game from the get-go. 

Haha, Hunt Down The Freeman

4 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Amazon has the refreshed Switch with a free $25 gift card, I doubt we'll see another game bundle unless maybe a Pokémon bundle?

Of course they're going to have a Sword/Shield bundle... they already have one for the Switch Lite, so I would very surprised if they didn't have one for the Switch itself as well.

1 hour ago, oscillik said:

Basically, even if the game released when 3D Realms last worked on it, it would've been a bit of a tone deaf game. Duke3D was definitely a product of its time. And whilst Gearbox really haven't earned any respect after the endless bullshit that seems to come from their direction, I really don't blame them for Duke Nukem Forever being a flop — that was all on 3D Realms for taking the piss for years, and reigniting the hype machine every so often.

With regards to DOOM Eternal, the fact that the Switch isn't going to be a launch platform anymore is a big deal…when DOOM 2016 came out on the Switch it seemed to be a big thing, and for them not to launch on that console doesn't look good. Also the Invasion Mode not being there at launch is another thing — I personally couldn't care less, I won't be enabling that shit. But it's something they were hyping up and seemed to want as a part of the game from the get-go. 

Haha, Hunt Down The Freeman

Oh yeah, Invasion mode. I don't understand the hype surrounding that tbqh. Then again, Id Software are at the behest of Bethesda. And I heard Tim Willits is leaving the company after 24 years. So I'm tempted to shift my own sentiments from excitement to wary patience.

And I recall a semi-famous YouTuber describing the player character in Hunt Down The Freeman as "the guy whom all the male students in middle school think gets all the girls"...lol

7 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

Then again, Id Software are at the behest of Bethesda. And I heard Tim Willits is leaving the company after 24 years. So I'm tempted to shift my own sentiments from excitement to wary patience.

Ehhh, DOOM 2016 was developed and came out whilst id were under Bethesda…I know Bethesda get a shitty rap (I don't know from experience, I don't really play any games of theirs) but id Software are treated as pretty much an independent studio from what I've seen. I could get surprised this time around though…maybe Bethesda are throwing their weight around. They'd be pretty stupid to mess with what they've got though.

As for Willits, yeah he left in July. I think there's only Kevin Cloud left from the original DOOM crew

Edited by oscillik
clarity

Got our Switch Joy Con back from Nintendo, all repaired and they kept the limited edition casing (it was from a limited-edition Pokemon Let's Go Evee/Pikachu Switch bundle)!

I must say, the turnaround time was pretty good. Nintendo stands behind their stuff!

2 hours ago, yekker said:

New IDM portable gaming system

https://www.analogue.co/pocket/

(no really, it's IDM, it comes with nanoloop)

Reveal hidden contents

That looks beautiful. I looked into getting an Analogue Super NT before, you can only buy direct from their site and shipping to Europe is $50 plus the high chance of customs fees. Makes their stuff unreasonably expensive outside NA unfortunately. 

4 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

I will eventually get a Switch Lite I've decided. But Google Stadia? Nope.

I will be very surprised if Google Stadia takes off or becomes anywhere near a threat to Microsoft or Sony in the realm of game consoles...

Then again, I am surprised Apple Arcade is getting as much attention as it has been... who knows - maybe this is the beginning of the age of streaming games (which interestingly is closely mirroring the transition from digital downloads to streaming music).

13 hours ago, Joyrex said:

I will be very surprised if Google Stadia takes off or becomes anywhere near a threat to Microsoft or Sony in the realm of game consoles...

Then again, I am surprised Apple Arcade is getting as much attention as it has been... who knows - maybe this is the beginning of the age of streaming games (which interestingly is closely mirroring the transition from digital downloads to streaming music).

And to think a majority of us here are old enough to remember blowing the dust out of bulky plastic NES cartridges prior to insertion...

don't forget about atarivcs guys. with it's sandbox mode where you can install any os you want. and if you were an early backer, they ship you an empty box and you get to tell them what the hell to do next

gen_streets_of_rage_2_p_libpic.jpg

love games like this where you can just pick up and play instead of having to figure out a bunch of clues before you see any action

On 10/17/2019 at 7:54 AM, yekker said:

New IDM portable gaming system

https://www.analogue.co/pocket/

(no really, it's IDM, it comes with nanoloop)

Hide contents

So, can this device only play games from old Game Boy cartridges or could it also play roms from an SD-Card as I imagine some game cartridges might be quite hard to acquire?