IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Okay, Skyrim question for all of you:

Will this game become a tedious slog of micromanaging your inventory of bullshit and loot? I am sick to fuck of the WoW style character management.

Also, I am a wizard type caster and it's not very satisfying. Should I just go back to being a hack-and-slash type or does casting get better?

Level up archery and sneaking. I was the same way, level 100 conjuration, destruction, illusion and enchanting. I started levelling up sneak in combination with archery and it's brought some fresh game play. I use my spells to sneak around, show enemies and I slowly pick them off one by one. There's a few shouts/spells that are major aids; bound bow, muffle, detective life shout, etc.

I think what's good about the game is that you can level your character the way you want to play it. I realised this when playing Oblivion (my first non-JPRG) and tried to create a 'jack of all trades' equally levelled character - I ended up with a man not particularly good at anything so when my ps3 died I started afresh just upping the attributes I actually used. I've done the same with Oblivion and found the game so much easier - I mainly just concentrate on single armed combat, heavy armour, and basically the only magic I use is restoration. I'm just about to hit level 30 after about as many hours and am currently grinding my Smithing so I can make my single armed weapons and armour even betterererer, but yeah not really found it necessary to micro-manage anything.

So for me now the game's bacome a first-person smack seven shades of shit out of everything then run off like a coward for 10 seconds casting restoration - repeat as required !

I think what's good about the game is that you can level your character the way you want to play it. I realised this when playing Oblivion (my first non-JPRG) and tried to create a 'jack of all trades' equally levelled character - I ended up with a man not particularly good at anything so when my ps3 died I started afresh just upping the attributes I actually used. I've done the same with Oblivion and found the game so much easier - I mainly just concentrate on single armed combat, heavy armour, and basically the only magic I use is restoration. I'm just about to hit level 30 after about as many hours and am currently grinding my Smithing so I can make my single armed weapons and armour even betterererer, but yeah not really found it necessary to micro-manage anything.

So for me now the game's bacome a first-person smack seven shades of shit out of everything then run off like a coward for 10 seconds casting restoration - repeat as required !

yeah....basically if you get Alchemy, Enchanting, and Smithing up to 100, you are complete beast potential. But it requires a lot of micromanaging (potion making, selling off potions, store the ones you cant use, etc. etc.)

fuuuuck they totally nailed the feel of the original with the new xcom.

it's very, very good. the demo gives you two missions, a tutorial and one of those city panic things, with a bit in between to familiarise yourself with how the base and the geoscape work. the geoscape looks VERY cool. the combat is a tiny bit dumbed down compared to the original, but there's even more emphasis on cover. in the second one you get to fight sectoids, a kinda cyberdisk thing, and a new alien which seems to be based on slenderman. i was worried they were gonna fuck it up but they totally didn't.

Edited by kaini

But it requires a lot of micromanaging (potion making, selling off potions, store the ones you cant use, etc. etc.)

Oh, that's what micromanaging is - oops for some reason I thought that was about checking every aspect of your stats. Yeah I do loads of that but mainly as a result of prancing through fields clicking on a herb or berry as I'm running though the map toward the next mission, then when I'm done with the mission I head back home (I only fast travel if absolutely necessary, I like taking in the views !), randomly combine shite and then sell it on.

It never really seems too much hassle but then again I happily spend bloody days just left clicking on things to complete Ginormo Sword - http://babarageo.com/flash/ginormo/ (for some reason I always had BJ Nilsen's The Short Night playing)

Guest jasondonervan

it's very, very good. the demo gives you two missions, a tutorial and one of those city panic things, with a bit in between to familiarise yourself with how the base and the geoscape work. the geoscape looks VERY cool. the combat is a tiny bit dumbed down compared to the original, but there's even more emphasis on cover. in the second one you get to fight sectoids, a kinda cyberdisk thing, and a new alien which seems to be based on slenderman. i was worried they were gonna fuck it up but they totally didn't.

I'm completely new to X-Com, but after playing the brief demo, I'm sold. I echo your comments, really looking forward to the full game now - I've got Borderlands 2 to tide me over in the meantime.

i recommend you find the original on an abandonware site while you still can, it runs very well under DOSBox. it's the most unforgiving game you'll ever play outside dark souls. and it's amazing.

yes. it has side-scrolling and a circuit bending stage. ljn also did the arcade version, but i haven't been able to get mine hands on that one. i really want star trek the next generation on gameboy

terminator_2_arcade_11_box_front.jpg

that was the one which was a bunch of minigames, at least on the PC. there was a really sucky driving game, and then a really sucky sidescrolling fighty thing iirc. never made it past that. it sucked.

2a_3074_0_Terminator2JudgmentDay.jpg

i was never able to finish this game as a kid, let's see whether i can do it now

Oh shit... LJN. The worst gaming company in the whole world. Was T2 the side scrolling one?

I'd totally forgotten about owning that piece of shit.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I spent like 2 months of allowance to buy Terminator 2 on Nintendo, fucking worst first stage ever, wanted to beat it but it was too infuriating, I still hold so much resentment from that, 19 years or so later.

if you want to set the XCOM demo to 'traditional' xcom difficulty

To change the difficulty go to:

Steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown-Demo\Engine\Config\BaseGame.ini

and change GameDifficulty=+0.0 to GameDifficulty=+3.0 for some proper action on the second mission.

Been playing the first Left 4 Dead, mainly survival on the last stand map. Not that great at it since i haven't been playing video games that much. Im getting around 4 minutes each time, 6 minutes at best. Any tips on how to survive longer?

Sounds promising. I already pre-ordered the full game about two weeks ago. I might pass on the demo and go straight to full version once it's released. Still "working" on Borderlands 2 in the meantime.

I've played L4D on and off for a while but just recently bought it for a good price. Play with my brother when he's around. How's the Xbox Live community when it comes to cooperation, i feel like other people would fuck you over

The last time I played it, someone shot all the canisters and threw all the molotovs at me. Soooo...

Introversion released the (apparently still fairly incomplete/broken) alpha of Prison Architect today. I'm gonna get on that tomorrow night when I have some free time. They've got an impeccable track record.