IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

3 hours ago, Joyrex said:

I think he fancies himself a movie director, but can't get the funding to make movies, so video games are his medium of choice.

You have some interesting trash in your area - really surprised a Genesis console would show up this many years later.

I was pretty surprised too, I'd given up on finding any older consoles years ago.

That said, back in 2017 I was on my way to work and I saw half an N64 just lying in a neighbor's yard.  Like, literally half as if somebody had sawed it in two on a table saw. In retrospect I should have checked to see if it had a POWER PAK I could salvage but I never really got into n64 much so my knowledge of it doesn't go much deeper than my girlfriend and I throwing weekly Mario Party parties for 6 or 7 friends for most of a summer after I found an n64, four controllers and about 15 games with a carrying case for around $20 total at a thrift shop back in the mid 2000s.

1 hour ago, Joyrex said:

Yeah, I fully expect it to be a beautiful disaster. That, or Kojima's magnum opus, free of any limits Konami imposed on him previously.

Maybe that Konami constraint was there for a reason. I remembering hearing that apparently he's... tough to be work with, haha.

45 minutes ago, Squee said:

Maybe that Konami constraint was there for a reason. I remembering hearing that apparently he's... tough to be work with, haha.

If he is, he can certainly court the celebrities - Mikkelsen, Del Toro, Reedus, etc. - it's literally a star-studded cast!

And funny editions like Conan O'brien and Geoff Knightly too

20 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

If he is, he can certainly court the celebrities - Mikkelsen, Del Toro, Reedus, etc. - it's literally a star-studded cast!

And funny editions like Conan O'brien and Geoff Knightly too

I was thinking more design-wise. Like he's juggling nineteen-thousand ideas and a kitchen sink all at once and wants it all in his games. Again this is just stuff I've heard on podcasts and read online, but it all makes sense when you think about how delayed his last couple of games have been. And MGSV was so half-baked. Maybe Konami let out a sigh of relief when he finally left so they could focus on their lifelong dream of making nothing but pachinko machines ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fallout Outer Worlds looks beautiful. Reminds me of Cyberpunk 2077. If video games are going to look this aesthetically pleasing in the future I may start playing them more often.

44 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Is this worth waiting for on Switch since it has all the DLC included?

I beat this game in VR in 2014 or 2015.. and oh my how fun it was. Felt like I was there. And this was with the DK2.

Alien Isolation is great. 

i don’t think the experience will translate well to a handheld. That game needs to be played in the dark, big screen, with loud sound system or headphones. Playing it on your daily commute will take something away from the experience

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, oscillik said:

Alien Isolation is great. 

i don’t think the experience will translate well to a handheld. That game needs to be played in the dark, big screen, with loud sound system or headphones. Playing it on your daily commute will take something away from the experience

Yeah, I agree. Also, and I rave about this every time someone mentions this game, Alien Isolation made such great use of the Kinect. It might be the only game to every actually make good use of it.
If it was hooked up the Xenomorph and the NPCs could hear you. So whenever my girlfriend and I played it we would have to whisper to each other. It made the atmosphere even more unsettling.

The only negative thing I have to say about Isolation is that it overstayed its welcome.

• Like 1

I don't know about that game, I bought it, started playing, after an hour I spent about 45 minutes in a locker while the alien walked back and forth outside. Started checking my phone, finally gave up and opened the door, got killed. Never went back. So, is it worth it? Seemed like 80 percent hiding to me, didn't really find it scary or nerve wrecking as much as just fucking annoying.

3 hours ago, Squee said:

Yeah, I agree. Also, and I rave about this every time someone mentions this game, Alien Isolation made such great use of the Kinect. It might be the only game to every actually make good use of it.
If it was hooked up the Xenomorph and the NPCs could hear you. So whenever my girlfriend and I played it we would have to whisper to each other. It made the atmosphere even more unsettling.

The only negative thing I have to say about Isolation is that it overstayed its welcome.

Yeah I wish that had been incorporated into the PC version too (no reason why it couldn’t have been), would’ve really made a big difference to immersion. 

i agree that it is a little bit too long. Also the end buildup is inconsistent with the Alien lore (you’ll know what I mean if you’ve played the game)

20 hours ago, Joyrex said:

I think he fancies himself a movie director, but can't get the funding to make movies, so video games are his medium of choice.

You have some interesting trash in your area - really surprised a Genesis console would show up this many years later.

just noticed this:

image.png.7cade91638d181f3f89bc282761f1205.png

18 hours ago, Squee said:

Death Stranding review embargo is tomorrow. Pretty exciting. I'm guessing it'll receive a fair amount of negative reviews and a couple of 10/10s which means it's a masterpiece.

review embargo lifted today

• Like 1

it's going to be special. the first true "auteur" of video games on a cinematic scale. complete with real movie stars. and with auteurs there is always some extremely dumb shit that is frustrating. especially japanese ones lmao

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/01/774781133/new-game-death-stranding-is-a-compelling-mess?t=1572706486669

Death Stranding will be divisive. There will be the Kojima-stans who defend its every design decision, claiming that anybody who dares criticize the game is incapable of understanding the unparalleled brilliance of its creator. There will also be those who condemn this game, calling it a work of pretentious fraudulence.

The reality is that Death Stranding is neither a masterpiece nor a failure. It's a fairly average but ambitious experience, elevated by the enthusiasm and eccentricity of its creator. As frustrating a creative work as it often is, there's no doubting that it's an earnest one.

I'm having an ok time with the outer world's, haven't gotten very far yet, but it's definitely got it's hooks in me. It's a bit too on the nose with it's agenda though.

Question for anyone who's used the Epic Games launcher recently; have you experienced any security issues, or suspected any with the launcher since you started using it? I think the controversy earlier this year started with a Reddit post back in April, making the accusation that it's Chinese spyware. But is there hard evidence of that, aside from the mere fact that Epic Games are beholden to TenCent?

I know I've been ragging on it hard, but I'll admit that I haven't used it since about February 2018, during my brief Fortnite marathon. So I still technically have an account, but I also had several failed login attempts to it around that time.

I'm already aware that the UI is rather bare bones compared to Steam, but is that the only disadvantage, besides having to run one extra launcher? Main reason I ask is I'm curious about The Outer Worlds in particular. But if I were dead set on only buying it thru Steam, then that would mean waiting another whole year...

EGS sucks mostly bc of the store's layout, yeah. I've never had any security issues. Returns are easy. Don't care about the lack of social features; it's a store, that's all it needs to be for me. I'm not particularly loyal to Steam either. 

My advice if you want to play The Outer Worlds: sign up for game pass. 

2 hours ago, luke viia said:

EGS sucks mostly bc of the store's layout, yeah. I've never had any security issues. Returns are easy. Don't care about the lack of social features; it's a store, that's all it needs to be for me. I'm not particularly loyal to Steam either. 

My advice if you want to play The Outer Worlds: sign up for game pass. 

I couldn't care less about social features either, since I never use them on Steam. But I'm starting think that Tim Sweeney was right in that there's too many subpar games on Steam lately. Plus he did call out Blizzard for their "Chinagate" debacle for banning players for supporting the protesters in Hong Kong.

So I could still play The Outer Worlds on PC via the XBOX Game Pass rather than EGS. But other Epic exclusives like Control, Untitled Goose Game, Borderlands 3, and Phoenix Point look appealing too, although I'm not in a hurry to play them. The Outer Worlds still tops my priority list. Might go with the Game Pass then.

I've been playing Rogue Legacy
Although I'm not really a fan of rogue-lites, I'm happy I'm finally making some progress in this game. I'm actually beating bosses for the first time. The grind is real in this one though. 
It's been in my backlog for years now. I hope to beat it soon. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 8:32 AM, Squee said:

Not more to say than others about experiencing this on Switch, but it's one of the best games I've played in recent years (along Dishonored 2).

Edited by Jafs