Jump to content
Joyrex

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, oscillik said:

DOOM Eternal is delayed 😞

 

i5vkp78xvbr31.png?width=768&auto=webp&s=4eff09aa627df0cf81598618f35a9284fcb428c8

 

But at least those of us who pre-order will get the first official PC release of DOOM 64

At least it's living up to it's name! :dadjoke:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2019 at 10:31 PM, cloud capture said:

thx for the heads up joyrex.  Do you use Rakuten often?  Also I didn't realize the price of the Pro has gone down so much, that's good news.

was on the fence about getting a pro but mostly played on pc lately. hard to justify jumping on a pro one year before ps5 when, by all accounts, it's going to be backwards compatible and have the same resolution/fps boosting power as a pro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, juiceciuj said:

was on the fence about getting a pro but mostly played on pc lately. hard to justify jumping on a pro one year before ps5 when, by all accounts, it's going to be backwards compatible and have the same resolution/fps boosting power as a pro.

Yeah, I sort of regret getting my Pro in March this year, but at least I will be able to play games at higher quality until the PS5 hits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, the ps5 announcement has changed my mind about getting the pro.  And I'll also probably wait and just play TLOU2 on the ps5.  For now I'm setting my sights back on getting a switch for now.  Hoping to find a good sale closer to the holidays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played a few Apple Arcade games with the free trial. Mini Motorways is great, it's just more Mini Metro which I loved. Skate City and Chu Chu Rocket Universe also good. 

And then I downloaded FTL and have been buried in it for the first time since it came out on IOS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cloud capture said:

I agree, the ps5 announcement has changed my mind about getting the pro.  And I'll also probably wait and just play TLOU2 on the ps5.  For now I'm setting my sights back on getting a switch for now.  Hoping to find a good sale closer to the holidays.

If you envision yourself using the Switch in portable mode more than sitting hooked to a TV, you might consider a Switch Lite and save yourself some $$...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
At least it's living up to it's name! :dadjoke:
Like Duke Nukem Forever?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zkom said:
On 10/8/2019 at 2:18 PM, Joyrex said:
At least it's living up to it's name! :dadjoke:

Like Duke Nukem Forever?

Well, that did eventually come out... sort of

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely the regular switch so I have the convenience of both modes of use.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cloud capture said:

Definitely the regular switch so I have the convenience of both modes of use.

Cool - just make sure you get the newer model (Google on how to tell the difference) - it's highly likely any really good sales on Switch consoles will be the older one (nothing really wrong with that, but the newer models have better battery life).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, zkom said:
On 10/8/2019 at 11:18 AM, Joyrex said:
At least it's living up to it's name! :dadjoke:

Like Duke Nukem Forever?

We can all thank Randy Shitbird for ruining it tho. The only way we'll ever get another faithful, dignified reboot is if Gearbox somehow implodes as a company.

As for Doom Eternal, I don't mind the wait. I'll make sure to buy a Switch Lite before then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ambergonk said:

We can all thank Randy Shitbird for ruining it tho. The only way we'll ever get another faithful, dignified reboot is if Gearbox somehow implodes as a company.

Ehhh, I dunno man… 3D Realms spent years dicking around with the game and not actually doing much at all. From the looks of it, when Gearbox got hold of it, there was only so much you could do to make it anywhere near coherent. I remember when I played the game in 2001 thinking that it looked like a game that should've come out in 2005 or something…sure enough, when looking back at the development history and the behind the scenes bonus footage that was included with the game, the last time 3D Realms actually did any half-assed work on it was between 2006-2009.

I think that ultimately the game was a victim of 3D Realms just announcing the game way too early — it was in this time period where the complexity of developing a game was quite a leap (don't forget Duke Nukem 3D came out around the same time as Quake, Duke 3D having sprite enemies and Quake having polygonal 3D enemies). It's quite clear that 3D Realms bit off more than they could chew with the development of this game, and by the time they picked up any speed with one games engine, it was superseded by better technology which would've made all their efforts seem lame.

I think a lot of people forget that 3D Realms were an indie developer. There weren't that many people involved with Duke Nukem 3D. At the end of 3D Realms (before it's become what it is today):

Image result for 3d realms last photo

You look at the end credits for games these days, and they go on for fucking ages (the recent Deus Ex games spring to mind)

It also seems pretty clear Valve have fallen victim to a similar issue — the whole point of the Half-Life series being released in Episodes was to help mitigate the time between releases, but the gap just ended up being as much as a normal full blown iteration, and then all of a sudden nothing. I can totally understand why Valve have canned any further work on the game. The hype for the next Half-Life is too big.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not saying anything there that people here didn't already know or think themselves about it all.

I'm not too bothered about the delay to DOOM Eternal, however I am concerned — a delay that long, announced this close to the intended release date is not a good sign. On top of that, they already know for a fact that they're not going to be able to launch on Nintendo Switch and the game is going to launch without a much-hyped gameplay mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Cool - just make sure you get the newer model (Google on how to tell the difference) - it's highly likely any really good sales on Switch consoles will be the older one (nothing really wrong with that, but the newer models have better battery life).

Amazon has the refreshed Switch with a free $25 gift card, I doubt we'll see another game bundle unless maybe a Pokémon bundle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, oscillik said:

Ehhh, I dunno man… 3D Realms spent years dicking around with the game and not actually doing much at all. From the looks of it, when Gearbox got hold of it, there was only so much you could do to make it anywhere near coherent. I remember when I played the game in 2001 thinking that it looked like a game that should've come out in 2005 or something…sure enough, when looking back at the development history and the behind the scenes bonus footage that was included with the game, the last time 3D Realms actually did any half-assed work on it was between 2006-2009.

I think that ultimately the game was a victim of 3D Realms just announcing the game way too early — it was in this time period where the complexity of developing a game was quite a leap (don't forget Duke Nukem 3D came out around the same time as Quake, Duke 3D having sprite enemies and Quake having polygonal 3D enemies). It's quite clear that 3D Realms bit off more than they could chew with the development of this game, and by the time they picked up any speed with one games engine, it was superseded by better technology which would've made all their efforts seem lame.

I think a lot of people forget that 3D Realms were an indie developer. There weren't that many people involved with Duke Nukem 3D. At the end of 3D Realms (before it's become what it is today):

Image result for 3d realms last photo

You look at the end credits for games these days, and they go on for fucking ages (the recent Deus Ex games spring to mind)

It also seems pretty clear Valve have fallen victim to a similar issue — the whole point of the Half-Life series being released in Episodes was to help mitigate the time between releases, but the gap just ended up being as much as a normal full blown iteration, and then all of a sudden nothing. I can totally understand why Valve have canned any further work on the game. The hype for the next Half-Life is too big.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not saying anything there that people here didn't already know or think themselves about it all.

I'm not too bothered about the delay to DOOM Eternal, however I am concerned — a delay that long, announced this close to the intended release date is not a good sign. On top of that, they already know for a fact that they're not going to be able to launch on Nintendo Switch and the game is going to launch without a much-hyped gameplay mode.

Fair point. But I'm still deeply disappointed with the way Gearbox handled DNF. Granted I've never played it, but I've seen enough reviews and gameplay footage to know that it was a big flop. Forced, tasteless humor, buggy controls, unnecessary drawn-out gameplay sections...I could go on.
But at least we got Ion Maiden Fury this year. Might play that one again at some point.

As for Valve, I think Steam is the biggest thing keeping the company afloat these days. It's still the most reliable online PC store out there (although GOG are stepping up their game lately) and I won't be ditching it any time soon. Can't say anything on the future of Half-Life officially. But I'm sure we'll at least see more third-party HL-based standalone games and mods - hopefully that don't end up a train wreck like Hunt Down The Freeman did in early 2018.

But Doom Eternal was indeed officially announced for the Switch on their FB page I thought, along with the March 2020 release. Unless I missed something?

EDIT: Switch release announcement to come after that of all other platforms, according to the post. So it will happen eventually. We just don't know when yet.

 

Edited by ambergonk
Editing is fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, i always enjoy a good whats up with valve discussion.  Random thoughts>

Im just thinking back to how much of a different place i was in in the early 2000s.. playing way too much garrys mod and tf2.. I'd be curious if any new game they put out could get such a "revolutionary" mod following.  Obviously the DIY spirit lives on but it seems more directed at indie development these days rather than mods.

Im actually excited for In the valley of gods because buying up ambitious young talent and pouring money (and probably pressure) down their throats is how their best IP's have come about.

And their attempts to push into new territory on the hardware front are too niche, only marketing to a certain type of pc gamer with too much disposable income.  I dont expect/want them to be nintendo level of appealing to everyone.. but nintendo are at least trying stuff.  Valve has (or at least had) the cashflow from steam be a similar type of industry innovator/wildcard, but they have utterly failed on that potential in the last decade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ambergonk said:

Fair point. But I'm still deeply disappointed with the way Gearbox handled DNF. Granted I've never played it, but I've seen enough reviews and gameplay footage to know that it was a big flop. Forced, tasteless humor, buggy controls, unnecessary drawn-out gameplay sections...I could go on.
But at least we got Ion Maiden Fury this year. Might play that one again at some point.

As for Valve, I think Steam is the biggest thing keeping the company afloat these days. It's still the most reliable online PC store out there (although GOG are stepping up their game lately) and I won't be ditching it any time soon. Can't say anything on the future of Half-Life officially. But I'm sure we'll at least see more third-party HL-based standalone games and mods - hopefully that don't end up a train wreck like Hunt Down The Freeman did in early 2018.

But Doom Eternal was indeed officially announced for the Switch on their FB page I thought, along with the March 2020 release. Unless I missed something?

EDIT: Switch release announcement to come after that of all other platforms, according to the post. So it will happen eventually. We just don't know when yet.

 

Basically, even if the game released when 3D Realms last worked on it, it would've been a bit of a tone deaf game. Duke3D was definitely a product of its time. And whilst Gearbox really haven't earned any respect after the endless bullshit that seems to come from their direction, I really don't blame them for Duke Nukem Forever being a flop — that was all on 3D Realms for taking the piss for years, and reigniting the hype machine every so often.

With regards to DOOM Eternal, the fact that the Switch isn't going to be a launch platform anymore is a big deal…when DOOM 2016 came out on the Switch it seemed to be a big thing, and for them not to launch on that console doesn't look good. Also the Invasion Mode not being there at launch is another thing — I personally couldn't care less, I won't be enabling that shit. But it's something they were hyping up and seemed to want as a part of the game from the get-go. 

Haha, Hunt Down The Freeman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Amazon has the refreshed Switch with a free $25 gift card, I doubt we'll see another game bundle unless maybe a Pokémon bundle?

Of course they're going to have a Sword/Shield bundle... they already have one for the Switch Lite, so I would very surprised if they didn't have one for the Switch itself as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oscillik said:

Basically, even if the game released when 3D Realms last worked on it, it would've been a bit of a tone deaf game. Duke3D was definitely a product of its time. And whilst Gearbox really haven't earned any respect after the endless bullshit that seems to come from their direction, I really don't blame them for Duke Nukem Forever being a flop — that was all on 3D Realms for taking the piss for years, and reigniting the hype machine every so often.

With regards to DOOM Eternal, the fact that the Switch isn't going to be a launch platform anymore is a big deal…when DOOM 2016 came out on the Switch it seemed to be a big thing, and for them not to launch on that console doesn't look good. Also the Invasion Mode not being there at launch is another thing — I personally couldn't care less, I won't be enabling that shit. But it's something they were hyping up and seemed to want as a part of the game from the get-go. 

Haha, Hunt Down The Freeman

Oh yeah, Invasion mode. I don't understand the hype surrounding that tbqh. Then again, Id Software are at the behest of Bethesda. And I heard Tim Willits is leaving the company after 24 years. So I'm tempted to shift my own sentiments from excitement to wary patience.

And I recall a semi-famous YouTuber describing the player character in Hunt Down The Freeman as "the guy whom all the male students in middle school think gets all the girls"...lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

Then again, Id Software are at the behest of Bethesda. And I heard Tim Willits is leaving the company after 24 years. So I'm tempted to shift my own sentiments from excitement to wary patience.

Ehhh, DOOM 2016 was developed and came out whilst id were under Bethesda…I know Bethesda get a shitty rap (I don't know from experience, I don't really play any games of theirs) but id Software are treated as pretty much an independent studio from what I've seen. I could get surprised this time around though…maybe Bethesda are throwing their weight around. They'd be pretty stupid to mess with what they've got though.

As for Willits, yeah he left in July. I think there's only Kevin Cloud left from the original DOOM crew

Edited by oscillik
clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Little Town Hero is a pretty fun JRPG from Game Freak, so it's quality.  But goddamn the combat system is frustrating.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got our Switch Joy Con back from Nintendo, all repaired and they kept the limited edition casing (it was from a limited-edition Pokemon Let's Go Evee/Pikachu Switch bundle)!

I must say, the turnaround time was pretty good. Nintendo stands behind their stuff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, yekker said:

New IDM portable gaming system

 

https://www.analogue.co/pocket/

 

(no really, it's IDM, it comes with nanoloop)

 

  Reveal hidden contents

 

 

That looks beautiful. I looked into getting an Analogue Super NT before, you can only buy direct from their site and shipping to Europe is $50 plus the high chance of customs fees. Makes their stuff unreasonably expensive outside NA unfortunately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

200 u.s. dollars is a bit too costly i think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...