IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Sims4 and The Bioshock Collection are February's PS Plus free games.

Makes sense for them to give away Sims4 since the first thing most will do is go buy the overpriced DLC that makes the 'game' half worthwhile to 'play'...

• Like 1

Reforged of course. went ahead and bought it since I haven't played WC3 since like mid 2000s. I wish there was a WC4. It's a shame WoW EXISTS. lol.

Some people are saying it is just an update of the skin and not a 'remaster', but really I'm not looking for a new game entirely or anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisbot said:

Reforged of course. went ahead and bought it since I haven't played WC3 since like mid 2000s. I wish there was a WC4. It's a shame WoW EXISTS. lol.

Some people are saying it is just an update of the skin and not a 'remaster', but really I'm not looking for a new game entirely or anything.

People said the same thing about StarCraft Remastered but I loved it, it looked and played great. If it's not too different though I might just have to dig up my old WC3 discs and see if they're still compatible with my OS...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lada Laika said:

People said the same thing about StarCraft Remastered but I loved it, it looked and played great. If it's not too different though I might just have to dig up my old WC3 discs and see if they're still compatible with my OS...

From what I gather people were expecting a remake. I just want to play the original WC3 with updated graphics so I am not disappointed. Though I honestly haven't been following it since 2018. On youtube there is evidence that new features that were in the game back in 2018 have been cut out.

There's also backlash because Blizzard says it now owns all custom maps made with their editor, no doubt because of DOTA, lol.

• Like 1

So basically, if you just wanna play the original WC3 with some updated features and a currently active community, get it. Otherwise, don't.

So far I don't see what the complaint is about the graphics. You can switch back to 'classic mode' in the options menu at the main menu, and the old graphics just look bad compared to the new graphics, especially if you are used to the new graphics.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

From what I gather people were expecting a remake. I just want to play the original WC3 with updated graphics so I am not disappointed. Though I honestly haven't been following it since 2018. On youtube there is evidence that new features that were in the game back in 2018 have been cut out.

There's also backlash because Blizzard says it now owns all custom maps made with their editor, no doubt because of DOTA, lol.

Blizzard has fucked up plenty but owning their custom games is literally just them finally catching up to the industry, so I find any backlash hilarious.

Re: remake vs. reskin, the reason Starcraft literally just got a graphics update is because of the pro scene. The mechanics have been in place for two decades and any slight alteration would fundamentally fuck with the pro metagame. I have no idea if there is or was a similar scene for WC3 but I would imagine that’s why gameplay changes would be minimal.

1 hour ago, Lada Laika said:

Blizzard has fucked up plenty but owning their custom games is literally just them finally catching up to the industry, so I find any backlash hilarious.

Re: remake vs. reskin, the reason Starcraft literally just got a graphics update is because of the pro scene. The mechanics have been in place for two decades and any slight alteration would fundamentally fuck with the pro metagame. I have no idea if there is or was a similar scene for WC3 but I would imagine that’s why gameplay changes would be minimal.

A lot of the backlash is laughable. Only a few valid complaints really. I do prefer the 2018 graphics and cutscene to the old one here for instance: 

BUT these people saying it's a disaster to me are just using hyperbole as clickbait. And that is slowly becoming the narrative. I bet half the people complaining haven't even tried the game out.

It seems classic mode has the old balance, and reforged mode has "The Frozen Throne" balance in the Reign of Chaos campaign. I'm only a few levels in currently and will have a more informed opinion soon enough I'm sure.

• Like 1

I guess there are settings that change whether you’re seeing the “mature” cutscenes or not? Which to my knowledge only means they cut to a black screen when Arthas stabs his dad instead the original silhouettes, but uhhh... I dunno whatever it’s a Warcraft game, I care more about playability than decades old cinematics lol.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lada Laika said:

I guess there are settings that change whether you’re seeing the “mature” cutscenes or not? Which to my knowledge only means they cut to a black screen when Arthas stabs his dad instead the original silhouettes, but uhhh... I dunno whatever it’s a Warcraft game, I care more about playability than decades old cinematics lol.

No, from what I understand they dropped the 2018 cutscenes and just have the old ones. Apparently Blizzard said the game was going to get all new cutscenes, and a new campaign, which never materialized. So that is a valid complaint, however it's still WC3 with decent graphics, and that's all I need so far.

And idk if I mentioned it, but ladder and clans haven't been implemented yet. I'm assuming that will come out sooner or later, but idk if they cut the feature entirely. I hope not.

So basically it's a bunch of little complaints that add up, and of course it depends on what YOU are looking for. 

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 1

Just now, Brisbot said:

No, from what I understand they dropped the 2018 cutscenes and just have the old ones. Apparently Blizzard said the game was going to get all new cutscenes, and a new campaign, which never materialized. So that is a valid complaint, however it's still WC3 with decent graphics, and that's all I need so far.

And idk if I mentioned it, but ladder and clans haven't been implemented yet. I'm assuming that will come out sooner or later, but idk if they cut the feature entirely. I hope not.

Ladder will be up at a later date from my understanding. But I was always shit at WC3 ladder so that’s less important to me.

(Not that I was ever good at SC or SC2, even in the SC2 Beta I peaked at Gold 1 which is basically the big dumb cheese league.) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lada Laika said:

Ladder will be up at a later date from my understanding. But I was always shit at WC3 ladder so that’s less important to me.

(Not that I was ever good at SC or SC2, even in the SC2 Beta I peaked at Gold 1 which is basically the big dumb cheese league.) 

I got to top of Master league when it first came out. Then I tried playing again after the 3rd expansion and had trouble in gold league. Lol

Man it was one stressful game. When I was in masters I had to play like 3 hours a day to just stay at the rank I was at. Otherwise my skills wouldn't be improving fast enough for it.

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

I got to top of Master league when it first came out. Then I tried playing again after the 3rd expansion and had trouble in gold league. Lol

Man it was one stressful game. When I was in masters I had to play like 3 hours a day to just stay at the rank I was at. Otherwise my skills wouldn't be improving fast enough for it.

Yeah it gets real ridiculous once you realize you’re getting matched against people who are sponsored to play 8+ hours per day. Given my 2 hours every couple days regimen I felt honored to make Gold and get cannon rushed every goddamn game.

5 hours ago, Brisbot said:

had to play like 3 hours a day

5 hours ago, Lada Laika said:

2 hours every couple days regimen

did you have fun having to play for practice like that, or was it a chore? both? neither?

Edited by splbt

13 hours ago, splbt said:

did you have fun having to play for practice like that, or was it a chore? both? neither?

I remember I had fun up until I got into like Mid-diamond, and it slowly turned into a daily grind. This was like 9 or 10 years ago by now so I felt I maybe could "go pro" as I was a teen, and was improving very quickly. Got into top 30ish masters before I decided it wasn't worth it because I knew the 3 hours I put in every day minimum was going to change to 4... then 5.... then 10. Pros regularly play 12+ hours a day so. Yeah not worth it.

And I didn't think of it as practice. I just had to play a minimum of 3 hours worth of games a day to simply stay where I was because strategies and all of that were in flux. I had started to practice on top of that, but that's when I finally saw the black hole that is pro gaming.

Edited by Brisbot

8 hours ago, ManjuShri said:

New Sseth. Surprised I hadn't heard of this twin stick roguelike before; looks real neat.

Well, this just convinced me to go ahead and buy it. Looks like others are in the same boat on the Steam store page. I'd imagine Flow Fire Games are thanking Sseth profusely now.

• Like 1