IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

spacer.png

^ That's me in the picture above.

Still playing The Witcher 3.
Played 100 hours so far.
I'm exploring the Skellige islands right now.
Beautiful environment, stories, music and atmosphere.
Changed it to the hardest difficulty.
I'm all in on Signs + Griffin School Techniques + Adrenaline Burst + Greater Blue Mutagens
Using Griffin School Set.
Bought the 2 DLC's / Expansion Packs a couple of days ago: Hearts of Stone & Blood and Wine. (but it's gonna be while before I'll actually play them though, lol, as I want to explore absolutely everything, OCD)

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 8:06 PM, Joyrex said:

Looks like a fucking PS1 game... I hope the "retro aesthetic" hasn't evolved from pixel graphics to low-poly low-res textures now...

We've been there for a while now - Two off the top of my head:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, mcbpete said:

We've been there for a while now - Two off the top of my head:

Yuck. Pixel art was beautiful to reproduce due to the creativity required to make very low res objects look meaningful... low poly low res textures were merely a result of the limitations of the technology at the time and were more about optimization rather than trying to achieve an aesthetic.

Dragging out the old Eno quote.

"Whatever you now find weird, ugly, uncomfortable and nasty about a new medium will surely become its signature. CD distortion, the jitteriness of digital video, the crap sound of 8-bit — all these will be cherished and emulated as soon as they can be avoided.

It’s the sound of failure: so much of modern art is the sound of things going out of control, of a medium pushing to its limits and breaking apart. The distorted guitar is the sound of something too loud for the medium supposed to carry it. The blues singer with the cracked voice is the sound of an emotional cry too powerful for the throat that releases it. The excitement of grainy film, of bleached-out black and white, is the excitement of witnessing events too momentous for the medium assigned to record them."

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, ManjuShri said:

Dragging out the old Eno quote.

"Whatever you now find weird, ugly, uncomfortable and nasty about a new medium will surely become its signature. CD distortion, the jitteriness of digital video, the crap sound of 8-bit — all these will be cherished and emulated as soon as they can be avoided.

It’s the sound of failure: so much of modern art is the sound of things going out of control, of a medium pushing to its limits and breaking apart. The distorted guitar is the sound of something too loud for the medium supposed to carry it. The blues singer with the cracked voice is the sound of an emotional cry too powerful for the throat that releases it. The excitement of grainy film, of bleached-out black and white, is the excitement of witnessing events too momentous for the medium assigned to record them."

That's a great counterpoint - thanks.

That being said, apparently flat polys are making a comeback as well:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nebraska said:

I had a racing game on one of those handhelds about 25 years ago that my parents gave me for long road trips. It was a poor mans gameboy, but there was just enough of a "game" in it to entertain me and it was pretty fun. The battery also lasted a couple of decades.

I share that story because that is the only thing these things have going for them: capitalizing on nostalgia. It sounds more like they unearthed a bunch of these from someone's storage locker and are trying to make a buck.

10 hours ago, milkface said:

Thinking of replacing my PC with a console cause it's going to be so much more convenient for me in the next few years. Should I go with an Xbox One or a PS4 or does it not really matter?

PS4 has more exclusive games I think 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, PS4 has better exclusives, Xbox has game pass.

Next gen machines before Christmas though, so if you wait you can get something that will last you a while, or you can probably pick up a PS4 or Xbox dirt cheap since everyone will be upgrading

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gocab said:

Yeah, PS4 has better exclusives, Xbox has game pass.

Next gen machines before Christmas though, so if you wait you can get something that will last you a while, or you can probably pick up a PS4 or Xbox dirt cheap since everyone will be upgrading

Yeah no way in hell I'll be able to afford the PS5 so I'll stick with a PS4. I was going to go with PS4 and yours and Rubin's posts confirmed that so thanks! PS4s are going at around £220 new on Amazon which isn't bad so I'll probably go for that.

On 2/26/2020 at 1:28 PM, Nebraska said:

also known as the guy that let us beat contra.

even konami babe will dedicate one last game to him implementing "the code". r.i.p

ERuFsjhWAAITwUj?format=jpg&name=medium

Thank god konami babe didn't die.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/1/2020 at 5:16 AM, milkface said:

Yeah no way in hell I'll be able to afford the PS5 so I'll stick with a PS4. I was going to go with PS4 and yours and Rubin's posts confirmed that so thanks! PS4s are going at around £220 new on Amazon which isn't bad so I'll probably go for that.

Get a PS4 Pro - that way your hardware will last a bit longer (and you get the benefits of 4K gaming, etc.)

19 hours ago, yekker said:

Thank god konami babe didn't die.

She's probably getting ready for a senior living centre at this point...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Get a PS4 Pro - that way your hardware will last a bit longer (and you get the benefits of 4K gaming, etc.)

She's probably getting ready for a senior living centre at this point...

I'd love to and it'd be better in the long run but I don't have the money for the Pro ?

Glad to be getting a console soon though, will be super convenient for my uni dorm and I'll be able to use spotify and netflix on it as opposed to using my laptop in bed which is fucking my posture up.

On a side note does anyone have any PS4 exclusive recommendations? Bloodborne and that spiderman game look really good.

6 hours ago, milkface said:

I'd love to and it'd be better in the long run but I don't have the money for the Pro ?

Glad to be getting a console soon though, will be super convenient for my uni dorm and I'll be able to use spotify and netflix on it as opposed to using my laptop in bed which is fucking my posture up.

On a side note does anyone have any PS4 exclusive recommendations? Bloodborne and that spiderman game look really good.

God of War (the latest one)

Horizon: Zero Dawn

You can get both of the above cheap as chips from CDKeys - Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition is only 3.89 USD!

22 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

God of War (the latest one)

Horizon: Zero Dawn

You can get both of the above cheap as chips from CDKeys - Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition is only 3.89 USD!

Thanks, I'll check them out. I got MGSV cause my friends always rave on about it.

30 minutes ago, milkface said:

Thanks, I'll check them out. I got MGSV cause my friends always rave on about it.

And really - if you can manage, get a Pro - you can find them on sale for as low as 340 USD or less online, even less if you go with a refurb/used...

Splasher

https://store.steampowered.com/app/446840/Splasher/

The amateurish graphics put me off at first glance, but then I read the game was headed by Romain Claude, game and level designer from Ubisoft (Rayman Legends, Rayman Origins) and a small team of three people.

It basically feels like a mixture of the new Rayman games, Super Meat Boy, and Abe's Odyssey. Not too bad going in the early stages, but I think my old man reflexes will fail at the more taxing demands of the optional puzzles for freeing all my friends later on. Good stuff.

1i9jzs.jpg

2yzk25.jpg

3u9jtw.jpg

4uxk9e.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yekker said:

Picked up BOTW again. Had to relearn controls but I really want to 100 it.

Here's a checklist if you want to complete absolutely everything in BOTW:

• 4 Divine Beasts / Dungeons (most people do this)
  • 900 Korok Seeds (this one is crazy)
  • 120 Ancient Shrines discovered / cleared of chests
  • 226 Locations discovered
  • 15 Main Quests (+5 in DLC)
  • 76 Side Quests (11 in Dueling Peaks, 10 in Hateno, 9 in Lanayru, 7 in Faron, 12 in Wasteland, 5 in Tabantha, 1 in Hebra, 7 in Woodland, 6 in Central & Ridgeland, 4 in Eldin, 4 in Akkala)
  • 42 Shrine Quests
  • 18 Recovered Memories
  • 385 Hyrule Compendium Entries
  • 15 Sheikah Towers
  • 120 Spirit Orbs (ancient shrines)
  • 5 Fairy Fountains
  • 84 Miniboss Medals of Honor (40 Talus Defeated + 40 Hinox Defeated + 4 Molduga Defeated)
  • 4 Horses / Mounts (Epona, Giant, Royal, Wild)
  • 5 Horse Sets (Traveler, Knight, Royal, Monster, Extravagant)
  • 16 Armor Sets (includes: Worn, Hylian, Sheikah, Soldier, Zora, Flamebreaker, Snowquill, Gerudo, Desert Voe, Radiant, Rubber, Climber, Barbarian, Ancient, Dark, Wild) + Upgrade Max
  • 16 Unique Armor Pieces (includes: 4 Masks, 3 Circlets, 3 Earrings, Snow Boots, Sand Boots, Thunder Helm, Warm Doublet, Champion's Tunic, Nintendo Switch Shirt) + Upgrade Max
  • Rebuild / Collect all the special Weapons and Shields
  • Earn the Top Prize on all Mini-Games
  • All Hearts and Stamina upgrades
  • Create all Recipes
  • Have the music and jingles playing in your head irl even when you're not playing (this one is easy)
  • Buy and Scan all Amiibo (lol)

Good Luck, Have Fun

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

Here's a checklist if you want to complete absolutely everything in BOTW:

• 4 Divine Beasts / Dungeons (most people do this)
  • 900 Korok Seeds (this one is crazy)
  • 120 Ancient Shrines discovered / cleared of chests
  • 226 Locations discovered
  • 15 Main Quests (+5 in DLC)
  • 76 Side Quests (11 in Dueling Peaks, 10 in Hateno, 9 in Lanayru, 7 in Faron, 12 in Wasteland, 5 in Tabantha, 1 in Hebra, 7 in Woodland, 6 in Central & Ridgeland, 4 in Eldin, 4 in Akkala)
  • 42 Shrine Quests
  • 18 Recovered Memories
  • 385 Hyrule Compendium Entries
  • 15 Sheikah Towers
  • 120 Spirit Orbs (ancient shrines)
  • 5 Fairy Fountains
  • 84 Miniboss Medals of Honor (40 Talus Defeated + 40 Hinox Defeated + 4 Molduga Defeated)
  • 4 Horses / Mounts (Epona, Giant, Royal, Wild)
  • 5 Horse Sets (Traveler, Knight, Royal, Monster, Extravagant)
  • 16 Armor Sets (includes: Worn, Hylian, Sheikah, Soldier, Zora, Flamebreaker, Snowquill, Gerudo, Desert Voe, Radiant, Rubber, Climber, Barbarian, Ancient, Dark, Wild) + Upgrade Max
  • 16 Unique Armor Pieces (includes: 4 Masks, 3 Circlets, 3 Earrings, Snow Boots, Sand Boots, Thunder Helm, Warm Doublet, Champion's Tunic, Nintendo Switch Shirt) + Upgrade Max
  • Rebuild / Collect all the special Weapons and Shields
  • Earn the Top Prize on all Mini-Games
  • All Hearts and Stamina upgrades
  • Create all Recipes
  • Have the music and jingles playing in your head irl even when you're not playing (this one is easy)
  • Buy and Scan all Amiibo (lol)

Good Luck, Have Fun

I've read collecting all Korok seeds is miserable.