IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

I've been on a shopping spree the last couple of days thanks to Steam sales. Bought Rust yesterday, as well as Generation Zero just now.

BTW is it wrong that I'm enjoying Rage 2 more than I did Doom Eternal? Ironic considering the latter was the very reason I bought a new PC.

Edited by ambergonk

Picked up Space Invaders Collection for Switch, the touchscreen controls for Arkanoid vs. Space Invaders is excellent.  Also got Panzer Dragoon Remake, but have only played handheld so far.

4 hours ago, ambergonk said:

BTW is it wrong that I'm enjoying Rage 2 more than I did Doom eternal?

It’s wrong. 20 self lashings.

kidding of course I haven’t played rage 2 yet! But if you enjoyed it more than DE I’m putting it on my play list ?

5 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

It’s wrong. 20 self lashings.

kidding of course I haven’t played rage 2 yet! But if you enjoyed it more than DE I’m putting it on my play list ?

Lashings? Do "beatings" in a certain area count? n/m that was in poor taste

Rage 2 is more fun than I expected, even if the story is its weakest point. Game reviews and ratings can sometimes be misleading.

It is somewhat buggy though. I think twice now I've had a highlighted waypoint on the road no longer present, and yesterday I had an audio crash. But these are pretty infrequent glitches.

Edited by ambergonk
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ambergonk said:

Lashings? Do "beatings" in a certain area count? n/m that was in poor taste

Rage 2 is more fun than I expected, even if the story is its weakest point. Game reviews and ratings can sometimes be misleading.

It is somewhat buggy though. I think twice now I've had a highlighted waypoint on the road no longer present, and yesterday I had an audio crash. But these are pretty infrequent glitches.

What’s decent about it? I was torn between this and the latest Battlefield, went with the latter and maybe regret my choice .

1 hour ago, tec said:

What’s decent about it? I was torn between this and the latest Battlefield, went with the latter and maybe regret my choice .

It's solid gunplay, and the special abilities really push it up a notch.
In fact, looking back on it, you can see how Rage 2 was a bit of a precursor to DOOM Eternal because of the extra keys you gotta press to execute moves (it's similar to the way to you have to use flame for armor, ice for health, and chainsaw for ammo)

Played (and finished) Portal 2 for the first time. A smart game. A lot of times, when I finally found a solution for a puzzle, I thought to myself "Alright, thank god I solved it, but I'm sure a lot of people couldn't", which of course isn't true, but it does make you feel a bit special. 

• Like 1

Finished the main story on AC: Origins. A bit disappointing tbh, I was waiting for something grander for the end. To me the last missions didn't feel much different from all the other quests. Of course there's still loads of side activities in the game, but after finishing the main story I don't know I feel like grinding them. Anyway, it was a nice game that so far has given me 52 hours of gameplay.

Next I think I'll play Tomb Raider from 2013, I got it recently when Steam gave it out for free for a limited time.

38 minutes ago, Thiefinger said:

Finished the main story on AC: Origins. A bit disappointing tbh, I was waiting for something grander for the end. To me the last missions didn't feel much different from all the other quests. Of course there's still loads of side activities in the game, but after finishing the main story I don't know I feel like grinding them. Anyway, it was a nice game that so far has given me 52 hours of gameplay.

Next I think I'll play Tomb Raider from 2013, I got it recently when Steam gave it out for free for a limited time.

It’s the side activities in Origins that are great. I thought the main story was just fine but the exploration in the side missions is what makes it great. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Squee said:

It’s the side activities in Origins that are great. I thought the main story was just fine but the exploration in the side missions is what makes it great. 

Yeah. I've done a lot of the side stuff already, because I was sort of saving the main quests so that I wouldn't go through them too fast. It's just the empty feeling when you've sort of already finished the game and just doing other stuff in the open world. I always like to keep the main story active while doing sidequests and activities in open world games so it feels there's this big goal still ahead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thiefinger said:

Tomb Raider should give you the high octane adventure you're looking for. The entire reboot trilogy is a lot of fun. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 11:30 AM, Thiefinger said:

40 hours into Assassins Creed Origins. I sort of like this franchise although it definitely has its shortcomings. This is a pretty fun game. The stealth mechanics work great and my favorite parts are infiltrating enemy bases and taking them out silently. There's also quite a bit of grinding which is a bit meh at times but overall it's ok. Also the setting is great. I love going around ancient Egypt and checking out all the places. Not an instant classic by any means but a well made game in a good franchise.

I only played the first two Assassin's Creed games and quit them both because they were too boring, predictable, and grindy. But Origins looked cool because of the setting, and I normally love stealth games. Eventually, I might try this.

2 hours ago, luke viia said:

Tomb Raider should give you the high octane adventure you're looking for. The entire reboot trilogy is a lot of fun. 

Yeah that game really is fantastic. I've enjoyed all three of the new Tomb Raiders.

On 3/26/2020 at 3:22 PM, oscillik said:

All I can think right now is — fuck me, I want a modern retelling of Quake I with a similar passionate focus.

amen, I'm enjoying Eternal so far though, the platforming is a little overdone though...

reinstalled spider-man on ps4, not gonna bother with the garbage dlc or side stuff as much this time but will be nice for a replay on the core game.

Edited by ghOsty

It sounds like Nintendo's big E3 announcement this year was "remake all the 3D Mario games"

https://gonintendo.com/stories/358246-new-info-surfaces-on-the-rumored-mario-35th-anniversary-re-releas

BTW - if you have a Switch you want to sell, they are going for big money online now

• Like 1

Finished the main story line in Rage 2 last night and then hunted for the remaining three Vaults Arks I missed. Now I'm ready for those DLC quest lines I've been putting off.
Can confirm that I'm disappointed in the story writing in this game, but...the journey beats the destination and all that.

As for Doom Eternal, I have a feeling that it's a one-time thing for me. I admit that I was fully aboard the hype train in the months leading up to its release, but now that it's all passed I've had time to take a step back and realize that not everything about it is gold. The combat is so over-the-top, for one. And everything has to be done a certain way. And the platforming, the purple slime shit, and the tentacles...the fucking Marauder...come on. And on top of that the game didn't have as much continuity story-wise as I'd hoped. It's like a bunch of new lore was shoehorned in to effectively elevate Doomguy to superhero status. Kinda cringey tbh.

Id Software should get back to basics. Get bigger guns to kill bigger monsters more quickly, that simple. That's what I liked about Doom 2016. And the Doom subreddit full of meme-parroting Gen Z edge lords can fuck right off.

(End "Boomer" rant)

Edited by ambergonk
Old Doomers vs New Doomers

10 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

Id Software should get back to basics. Get bigger guns to kill bigger monsters more quickly, that simple. That's what I liked about Doom 2016

havent played it, but from my impression, isn't 'back to basics big guns' exactly what they did with eternal?

unrelated, im kinda bummed that despite staying home, i still have no time to play games.  working from home only saves a small commute time, and i lose a bit more time cooking all meals at home.  then ive been studying for professional architecture exams.. which doesnt stop despite the quarantine, and as a result i feel just as busy just moving around less.

Edited by markedone
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

It sounds like Nintendo's big E3 announcement this year was "remake all the 3D Mario games"

https://gonintendo.com/stories/358246-new-info-surfaces-on-the-rumored-mario-35th-anniversary-re-releas

BTW - if you have a Switch you want to sell, they are going for big money online now

Noice! Mario 64 remastered, makes me ponder just how good it could look  :watmm:

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 7:16 PM, Rubin Farr said:

Picked up Space Invaders Collection for Switch, the touchscreen controls for Arkanoid vs. Space Invaders is excellent.  Also got Panzer Dragoon Remake, but have only played handheld so far.

NANI?!?! AvSI - this is available for Switch!?!? TATE mode?

15 minutes ago, yekker said:

Noice! Mario 64 remastered, makes me ponder just how good it could look  :watmm:

From what I've heard, it will be "Super Mario All-Stars 2" and have Mario 3D World, and a new Paper Mario game as well.

I just want Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) remastered like New Super Mario Bros.

13 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

NANI?!?! AvSI - this is available for Switch!?!? TATE mode?

From what I've heard, it will be "Super Mario All-Stars 2" and have Mario 3D World, and a new Paper Mario game as well.

I just want Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) remastered like New Super Mario Bros.

TATE mode with touchscreen, you only need the main unit, no joy cons, it's also great with a stylus.