IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

On 5/11/2020 at 6:50 PM, Nebraska said:

i77dJ.png

can't believe i hadn't heard of this game before until today

There's also a Cowboy Bebop game that's pretty good. I went through much of the absolutely massive PS1 library putting while adding games to my hacked PS Classic last year and came across so many insane titles I'd never heard of back in the day, many of them with killer 90s breakbeat soundtracks. I was really impressed.

Vib Ribbon

tumblr_nqouopM5Ru1rz9h5po2_r1_500.gifv

(Soundtrack for this is getting pressed on vinyl at the end of july lol)

https://www.minimumrecords.net/shop/vib-ribbon

iS Internal Section

tumblr_n109kyaPpC1roqda3o1_400.gifv

LSD Dream Emulator

giphy.gif

FUCKING PEPSIMAN

tumblr_olojobejnm1s6ufhfo3_500.gifv

^^^ i never had a ps1 and literally played it maybe 3 times before getting the classic system. so for me, every game has been a discovery. thanks for the recommendation Skeletron. will be checking out that cowboy bebop next.

btw: turboGrafx-16 mini retails next week. never played that system either so still contemplating wether i should get it or not

52 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

^^^ i never had a ps1 and literally played it maybe 3 times before getting the classic system. so for me, every game has been a discovery. thanks for the recommendation Skeletron. will be checking out that cowboy bebop next.

btw: turboGrafx-16 mini retails next week. never played that system either so still contemplating wether i should get it or not

The turboGrafx-16 looks wicked. I'm curious if the price will drop; I picked up my PS Classic for $20 after it bombed but Sony set that thing up for failure by making half the games their 50hz PAL versions for no reason. But yeah...I'm DEFINITELY up to my limit on emulator boxes lol. I've got a nice little mini-setup with the Genesis, NES, SNES (modded) and PS Classic (modded). Honestly could just emulate everything on my PC but I love to tinker with these things.

You're in for a treat if you're just now discovering the PS1! That whole generation gets a bad rap for being the first to venture into 3d but there are some downright beautiful and imaginative games in there. I've had so much fun finding all the stuff I missed.

Chrono Cross

DelightfulFriendlyHorseshoecrab-small.gi

FFIX

tumblr_n8anqykcme1tzeen3o3_500.gif

Legend of Mana

giphy.gif

Megaman Legends

f18d8cd090d90e584279906615cd3b98.gif

Vagrant Story

z2beGlC.gif

• Like 1

So some people were able to decompile the source code for Super Mario 64 and now you can build yourself an OpenGL port: https://github.com/sm64pc/sm64pc

Having this running natively on Linux is awesome. Would be interesting to see what mods come out if Nintendo would stop filing lawsuits over everything.

10 hours ago, Skeletron said:

Vib Ribbon

tumblr_nqouopM5Ru1rz9h5po2_r1_500.gifv

(Soundtrack for this is getting pressed on vinyl at the end of july lol)

https://www.minimumrecords.net/shop/vib-ribbon

Man, I played the living hell out of that game when it came out. I felt it was tailor-made for me. Got scary good at it too, if I do say so myself. But for me, the actual beauty and the total genius of it was that you could put in any CD once it had loaded and use your own fucking tunes as levels, so I would jump, run and careen along to the merry sounds of Orbital, Underworld and one Aphex Twin. Good times indeed. I still find that concept revolutionary. Should have spawned its own genre of games.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IDEM said:

Man, I played the living hell out of that game when it came out. I felt it was tailor-made for me. Got scary good at it too, if I do say so myself. But for me, the actual beauty and the total genius of it was that you could put in any CD once it had loaded and use your own fucking tunes as levels, so I would jump, run and careen along to the merry sounds of Orbital, Underworld and one Aphex Twin. Good times indeed. I still find that concept revolutionary. Should have spawned its own genre of games.

That was wild. Recently Beat Saber has a similar feature on PC that generates a custom level based on any track you input but it's not available on the PSVR version and since it's a VR game so you gotta have a bunch of unique peripherals to even play it.

5 hours ago, colunga said:

im not much on video games but this lockdown has me checking out some modern sidescrollers. currently really enjoying INSIDE.

This is Hideo Kojima's favorite game. Really good shit and super cinematic for a sidescroller. Not too long either so it's pretty easy to play through in a few sittings.

Edited by Skeletron

12 hours ago, Skeletron said:
17 hours ago, colunga said:

im not much on video games but this lockdown has me checking out some modern sidescrollers. currently really enjoying INSIDE.

This is Hideo Kojima's favorite game. Really good shit and super cinematic for a sidescroller. Not too long either so it's pretty easy to play through in a few sittings.

music and sound design are top notch, too especially during

Spoiler

the shockwave

part.

I finished Moonwalker for the Sega Genesis last night.

I wish I could have heard what those initial meetings were like.

Producer: "Michael, I don't think it's a good idea... due to your current... ehm... situation... with regards to... ehm... the child abuse allegations... that the game is about you saving children."

Michael Jackson: "Shamona!"

• Haha 1
  • Burger 1

13 hours ago, jaderpansen said:

music and sound design are top notch, too especially during

Reveal hidden contents

the shockwave

part.

oh and speaking about inside: only recently learned there's been an ARG going on since june 16, still unsolved. reads like cryptographer's delight, pretty mindblowing actually (spoilers galore obvs): https://wiki.gamedetectives.net/index.php?title=Inside_ARG

I would really very much like to buy a Switch, but they've been out of stock and scalped at ridiculous prices for a while now... does anyone know where I might find one? Or maybe someone is willing to sell me theirs? :spiteful:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, luke viia said:

I would really very much like to buy a Switch, but they've been out of stock and scalped at ridiculous prices for a while now... does anyone know where I might find one? Or maybe someone is willing to sell me theirs? :spiteful:

I've actually half-seriously considered picking up a Wii-U this summer because they're not so expensive anymore, the games are dirt cheap, and Super Mario Maker alone is compelling.  I don't really care about staying current-gen or anything (I haven't paid money for a console since I got an n64 and 18 games at a thrift shop for $30 back in like 2004, and the newest console I have is a 360 that came out of the trash last year) but I do worry about the longevity of any systems that came out since online gaming became a thing.  The whole appeal of consoles to me is that they're closed systems.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 6:58 AM, Squee said:

I finished Moonwalker for the Sega Genesis last night.

I wish I could have heard what those initial meetings were like.

Producer: "Michael, I don't think it's a good idea... due to your current... ehm... situation... with regards to... ehm... the child abuse allegations... that the game is about you saving children."

Michael Jackson: "Shamona!"

You've got to install MAME and try the arcade version now, seriously.  I'm not going to say that robots attack you with, pneumatic robo-schlongs in that version, but I'm not going to say DOESN'T happen, either.

Edited by TubularCorporation

They quietly included what is basically Wii Bowling in 51 Clubhouse Games for Switch, and the classic UFO / Duck Hunt type shooting gallery.  The use of multiple Switches to connect is a sorely underused feature I think only Mario Party even used?  I got a discount on this, so for $30 it's a good deal.

sp1.jpg

sp2.jpg

sp3.jpg

sp4.jpg

playing my way through FFXII zodiac age (2020 update on PS4)

great game, great music, great battles, absolutely ludicrous story. square had been watching too much LOTR and the prequels in 2005....

I'm cursed with FF12 - I've never actually finished it. I've gotten roughly 80hours in maybe 3 or 4 times and then my data gets corrupted...

Time for a retry I think.

• Like 1