IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

11 hours ago, timbre monke said:

Started playing Subnautica last night. Pretty good so far. It's VR-compatible too, though I'm not sure I'm quite ready.

As for HL: Alyx, I finally had the misfortune of meeting Jeff. Thankfully I only got killed once before getting my revenge at the end of the chapter.

I love Subnautica.
One of the best Open-World Crafting Survival games imo.
Very mysterious atmosphere...

11 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Fans of the Metroidvania game Blasphemous have a free DLC and update to look forward to that adds New Game +, quality of life improvements, and more tomorrow, 4 August:

Gonna have to buy and play this game.
Seems right up my alley.

Tried playing no man's sky again, I guess this genre is not for me. Endless chores simulator.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

I love Subnautica.
One of the best Open-World Crafting Survival games imo.
Very mysterious atmosphere...

Gonna have to buy and play this game.
Seems right up my alley.

It's excellent - the game is developed by Spaniards, and they incorporate a lot of Catholic mythology/symbolism/iconography into the game, all done in a 16-bit pixel art style that is really well done IMO. Very challenging game, too.

8 hours ago, Gocab said:

Tried playing no man's sky again, I guess this genre is not for me. Endless chores simulator.

Stay away from Death Stranding then...

Oh no, I was looking forwards to playing that. But that has some sort of plot and story driving things forward doesn't it? This was just pointing at shit to gather shit to tinker with so I could get enough shit to have a little fun, but then you need to keep pointing at shit to no end with no real motivation other than getting some more shit to keep doing the stuff. I hate the game play loop.

Edited by Gocab

28 minutes ago, Gocab said:

Oh no, I was looking forwards to playing that. But that has some sort of plot and story driving things forward doesn't it? This was just pointing at shit to gather shit to tinker with so I could get enough shit to have a little fun, but then you need to keep pointing at shit to no end with no real motivation other than getting some more shit to keep doing the stuff. I hate the game play loop.

No, I'm being too harsh - Death Stranding has a lot of depth, but there are times (since the primary job of the character you play is to deliver stuff) where all the fetch quests just feel a bit tedious. Some people might enjoy that though, just roaming the environments, enjoying the beauty and the terror that lurks everywhere...

• Like 1

sweet, Pikmin 3 is finally getting a deluxe version on Switch, with some added features and all the DLC, now it just better have motion controlled pointing...

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/08/pikmin_3_deluxe_officially_announced_for_switch_includes_all_dlc_and_new_content

On 8/4/2020 at 3:16 AM, Gocab said:

I used to fanboi over NMS quite a bit just a year ago. But all the planets have become too samey to me over time. I still play the weekend events for the 1200 QS though.

Still, I think HG are moving it in the right direction with the Desolation update. Dead Space-like side quests are cool.

3 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

sweet, Pikmin 3 is finally getting a deluxe version on Switch, with some added features and all the DLC, now it just better have motion controlled pointing...

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/08/pikmin_3_deluxe_officially_announced_for_switch_includes_all_dlc_and_new_content

I loved the first game, but didn't like the second. Removing the constraints kind of killed the whole vibe. Never checked out the third.

Finished The Last of Us Part II - fuck me, that's a long game. Really didn't care for how it ended. Should have ended when

Spoiler

Abby finally caught up with Ellie at the theatre, and had their climatic battle. The whole shit with Dina, the farm, potato baby and California was just dragging things out too much, and for Ellie to travel halfway across the country to finally end things just to wimp out and lose two fingers in the process was just... weak.

Apple is losing their marbles. They won't Microsoft's xCloud on iOS because "they won't be able to go through all the games on Game Pass in order to approve them". What a weird excuse. Do they go through every single tv show and movie on Netflix and HBO?

On 8/6/2020 at 12:19 AM, timbre monke said:

Just finished HL: Alyx. Well done, Valve, well done.

Feels like the series hasn't skipped a beat, despite the nearly 13-year gap since Episode II.

ashamed puppy GIF

poor gamers

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Braintree said:

Just think of all of the cultists as QAnon.

Only problem is that the civilians would generally be on the same side of the political spectrum as the PEGgies. 

Wish we could have a Far Cry where we can liberate a region from white supremacists. But it looks like the next installment is gonna be set somewhere in Latin America under an authoritarian regime (with a familiar face to Breaking Bad fans)

Spoiler

1 hour ago, timbre monke said:

Only problem is that the civilians would generally be on the same side of the political spectrum as the PEGgies. 

Wish we could have a Far Cry where we can liberate a region from white supremacists. But it looks like the next installment is gonna be set somewhere in Latin America under an authoritarian regime (with a familiar face to Breaking Bad fans)

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, I was thinking about that when New Dawn came out. Why is it that the hero is always white and the villain is usually a non-white person? I understand it's a business and they're appealing to their demographic but you don't even get to customize your character, really. At least you can play as a woman in Far Cry 5.

At any rate, I'm happy to see a new FC game.

I got a Switch Lite when this pandemic hit and first I played LoZ: Breath of the Wild, which is huuuuge and then the remake of Link's Awakening which was surprisingly easy for such an old game. I guess improved controls help? Anyway, pretty much done with them both. Not going to go for 100% completions especially in BotW because that's just ridiculous. 900 korok seeds, etc. But I finished the stories in both.

Now kind of wondering what should I get next for the Switch. Xenoblade Chronicles sounds interesting but it looks a bit too much like JRPG which I've played some but not a big fan. Also never really liked games where you have a "party" or similar. Idky.

I guess there are always the latest Mario games, but I'm a bit done with them already. I've just played too many Mario games in my time. Or like what is the 9th or 10th Mario Kart game in the series really going to bring into table anymore? Nintendo should just finally make a new version of F-Zero and not try covertly insert some of its gameplay to Mario Kart..

Decided to try a new indie throwback FPS called The Citadel. So far it's like Wolf 3D and Strife put together but with a Reich-like cult of cyber-augmented anime waifus.

Also nearly done with my second HL: Alyx playthrough on the side. Seems much easier now that I've gotten pretty familiar with the VR interface. Probably should have turned up the difficulty though.

(No relation between the two despite the title of the former)

Edited by timbre monke