IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

On 9/12/2020 at 7:42 PM, onecaseman said:

Started Hyper Light Drifter and beat the East. I die a lot.

Sounds like you're on the right track.

Also, Control is starting to piss me off.

Edited by timbre monke

3 minutes ago, Enthusiast said:

Spelunky 2 

I tried beating the first one, but I only ever got as far as Area 3: The Ice Caves.
After trying several other rogue-lites I concluded that I plainly just terribly suck at them. ?

My newest cities:skylines project in the works.  Inspired by Tom Jenkinson.  Besides the main Highways that come pre-installed with the maps, there are no curved roads.  All roads are matching 90/45/135 degree angles which I really enjoying looking at from above:

1631962576_SquarepusherIsland.thumb.jpg.86e0ea1ae8a47ed8b22edbe38fc084c6.jpg

On 9/8/2020 at 1:36 PM, Hugh Mughnus said:

looking to play something new on PC....

Done with Doom Eternal for now and RDR2. Feel like I need a good RPG. Any recommendations from anyone?

I realize this is quite late but check out Enderal if you haven't yet

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enthusiast said:

I preordered the disc version. The digital seems to be in very high demand. I could go either way, I'm 99% digital games and movies these day.

The last game I bought on disc was Diablo III in 2012.
I remember the day I bought it:
The game released on a particular warm day here in normally grey and temperate-cold Belgium.
I had to go from store to store as most of them had sold out.
I was so happy when I finally found a copy.
In the end, the game itself was a bit disappointing. Well, it was ok, but I had expected more from it.
I see that game / time-period as the start of the stagnation and decline of Blizzard.
I truly loved their previous games: Diablo II, Warcraft III, StarCraft II,...
And I thought at the time they were one of the greatest game-developers of all time.
Oh, how times have changed.
Now they mostly seem to make okay-ish money-grabbing multiplayer games.
Not my cup of tea at all.
Anyway, I sold Diablo III a year later.

Over the years I sold most of my physical game-collection.
Now, the only physical games left in my collection are:
Starcraft II (2010), Mass Effect (2007/2008), and Age of Empires II (1999).
With Starcraft II and Mass Effect as being games I really liked.
And with Age of Empires II as being the first computer game I ever bought with my own pocket-money.
The Euro-currency wasn't even in circulation back then.
I paid 2000 Belgian Francs for it.
The game came in a big box, and included was a hefty full-colour manual.

I kinda regret selling Black & White 2 (2005), as to this day that game can't be bought digitally online.
I read somewhere this is because of some idiotic copyright reasons, and the original dev doesn't care I guess.
I also kinda regret selling Neverwinter Nights (2002), as it's one of my all-time favourite games.
Although I now actually have 3 digital copies of that game in my digital collection.
I buy all my games digital now. I even re-bought the ones I bought as a physical disc back in the day.
I use GOG Galaxy 2 as my collection hub for computer-games.
It combines all digital stores / game-clients together in 1. (Steam, GOG, Epic, Ubisoft Uplay, EA Origin, Blizzard Battle.net,...)

I sometimes think about restarting a physical collection, but that would just be a heck of a job.
It would just be something one can only look at from afar.
It would have no actual function. I don't have any disc-drives anywhere any more.
Maybe I can buy a bunch of empty dvd-cases and print out the covers of my favourite games.
Displaying them for shits and giggles...

Edited by MaartenVC

13 hours ago, markedone said:

Hope you're not going in with high expectations.. I remember thinking that game was kinda crap and I played it in like 2008

Doom 3 engine, so not really. I think the weird gravitational manipulation shit is what made it unique more than anything. Otherwise I don't really take it seriously.

EDIT: Someone at Valve probably played OG Prey and got the idea for Portal from it back then.

Edited by timbre monke

37 minutes ago, timbre monke said:

Doom 3 engine, so not really. I think the weird gravitational manipulation shit is what made it unique more than anything. Otherwise I don't really take it seriously.

I enjoyed it tbh. Obviously the remake (system shockish version) was 100x better but the original was fine for what it is as a 2006 game

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cloud capture said:

just a heads up Rocket League is going free2play on Wednesday.  And if you used to play on ps4 you can merge your accounts so all your old crap is on Steam, which is nice.  

I read on the net:
Starting September 23, 2020, Rocket League will no longer be available on Steam, but current owners, who bought it on Steam previously, can still keep playing the game, but only if they link their Rocket-league-account with an Epic-account. Starting September 23, 2020, Rocket League will only be available on PC on the Epic Game Store, and will be free-to-play (with cosmetic microtransactions).

My thoughts:
Seems like Epic Games is moving all of their games and the games of the Game Studios they acquired over the years from other competing Stores and Platforms to their Epic Games Store. (also look at the recent Epic vs Apple lawsuit) Reasoning: By no longer having to hand over the 30% cut on sales on other Stores and Platforms the Epic Games company gains more market-share and can make more mad $$$. This is probably the intention of both Tim Sweeney, the founder and CEO of Epic Games and the creator of the Unreal Engine, (he owns >50% of the shares of the company) and Tencent, the Chinese multinational technology conglomerate holding company (they own 40% of the shares of the company).

It's kinda weird that when the Epic Games Store was first launched and introduced to PC gamers their motto was to bring more competition to the PC store front, but it seems it's more about bypassing revenue-cuts, exclusivity-deals and market-share.
However, they do hugely financial support a lot of indie game developers, apparently only in return for 1-year-timed exclusivity and a 12% revenue-cut. Also, I'm rather happy with all the free games you can freely collect from their store each week. This way I've collect about 140 PC games from their store so far. (I haven't bought a single game on the platform though, lol)

Edited by MaartenVC
  • Like 1