IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

On 12/29/2020 at 2:53 AM, Squee said:

Oh man, Doom Eternal had everything going for it, but in my opinion they ruined a fantastically simple game that required plenty of skill with way too many features and upgrade systems. It's everything and a kitchen sink. Also, the game seems a bit tone deaf and doesn't seem to realise what made the first game so much fun. In the first game it starts out with you in a sarcophagus and that is so god damn cool and absolutely ridiculous. It makes you wonder who Doom Guy is - and they leave it at that. They never give you any answers. In Doom Eternal they give you way too many answers to questions you don't want definitive answers to and the humor verges on being almost as dumb as the humor in Duke Nukem Forever.

I also have issues with the platforming puzzles, but I'm sure those play out way better on a PC.

The music though is - as always - fucking amazing.

I think I got a bit of information overload trying to play it last night. Another thing is just the basic controls. I'm playing on xbox and it feels a lot different from 2016. It obviously plays a lot better on PC, though.

On 12/29/2020 at 11:25 AM, ambermonke said:

They definitely upped the challenge, but the story elements feel off to me. It's like the series went from Aliens/Metroid to some Marvel superhero flick. I guess it's to appease all the Chad wannabes.

Might play Eternal again on Ultra Violence later next year, but I can't help but feel that something was lost in the transition between games.

Yeah, I never really cared too much about the story. I just need to know the guy is a badass and demon destroyer. I actually liked reading/listening about the lore of the universe in the first game, but it was also written from two perspectives; UAC and the demons. In Eternal, it isn't explicit what perspective is taken when I read one of those codex entries, so it's kind of confusing.

On 10/28/2019 at 8:06 PM, luke viia said:

Finished GreedFall (loved it), immediately moved on to The Outer Worlds. and man... it's great. 

Supposed to come with the ps plus games in January. Looks good.

• Like 1

just got the last ending in cyberpunk (the secret one). found the whole thing to be thoroughly enjoyable, guess it's good i was hardly affected by the hype. characters are tropey as hell but very well written at that, really felt em. city's breathtaking, just being able to finally move around neo tokyo freely felt like such a treat. kinda inclined to further dive into the lore / pen & paper stuffs now actually. went stealthy hacker all the way, worked out pretty well. ah, music's pumpin, too.

yeah.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jaderpansen said:

just got the last ending in cyberpunk (the secret one). found the whole thing to be thoroughly enjoyable, guess it's good i was hardly affected by the hype. characters are tropey as hell but very well written at that, really felt em. city's breathtaking, just being able to finally move around neo tokyo freely felt like such a treat. kinda inclined to further dive into the lore / pen & paper stuffs now actually. went stealthy hacker all the way, worked out pretty well. ah, music's pumpin, too.

yeah.

There's a secret ending? The ending I went for apparently pissed off my surviving friends in the game, but I tried to make up for it in the very end. I dunno, wasn't really satisfied with my final choice.

15 minutes ago, ambermonke said:

There's a secret ending? The ending I went for apparently pissed off my surviving friends in the game, but I tried to make up for it in the very end. I dunno, wasn't really satisfied with my final choice.

Spoiler

I suppose you went with Arasaka's proposal? I guess the "best" (as in least depressing) ending results in breaking in with the nomads then taking back your body as planned (as opposed to yet another option... *cough*). As for the secret ending: You gotta have 70% rep with Johnny at the point of no return (Nocturne). When asked about how to to continue (on the roof where Misty takes you) don't respond but rather idle for about 5 minutes and Johnny will propose visiting Arasaka tower through the front door all by yourself, to at least not hurt any of your friends in the process. Pretty hard as all enemies seem to be max lvl, fun challenge tho.

• Thanks 1

Pathfinder: Kingmaker

I've been playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker (2018) the last days.
It's a tactical top-down party-based Role-Playing Game (CRPG) set in and based on the Pathfinder Table-Top Role-Playing Game-System which itself is based on Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition.
It's an RPG in the same vein as: Fallout (1997), Baldur's Gate (1998), Neverwinter Nights (2002) , Dragon Age: Origins (2009) , Divinity: Original Sin (2014), Pillars of Eternity (2015),...
It sure transports me back in time to the good old days of yonder.

It's a good game but it also has some glaring flaws too.
Normally you can play most CRPG without having to study the rules too much.
But Pathfinder is a waaay more complicated and unforgiving system than D&D imo.
I recommend:
- Play with Keyboard and Mouse. Playing with a Controller changes the UI for the worse.
- Play in Turn-Based Combat Mode. It makes fights way more tactical and way less chaotic.
- Read a Guide before you start playing. The game doesn't explain some important Rules.
- Check the Combat Log while playing. So you understand what you're doing wrong.
- Check the Enemy Stats while playing. So you know how to best damage opponents.
- Install the Bag of Tricks Mod. Its tools and cheats will help you enjoy the game more.
- Create your Character, do the Tutorial area, does your Character work? Restart if not.
- Choose the correct Attribute Scores for your Class.
- Min-Max your characters. This game can be very unforgiving. Check the respec Mod.
- Have Animal Companions (Druid, Sacred Huntsmaster Inquisitor, Mad Dog Barbarian, Cleric or Inquisitor with Animal Domain, Ranger, Sylvan Sorcerer). They're OP.
- Be careful of where you go. The Game is somewhat Open-World but has no Level-Scaling.
- Use the Charge ability with your Melee at the start of every fight. It's OP.
- Rest outside and have a Healer (Cleric, Paladin, Bard) with Heal Spells to get your HP back.
- Slow down the timers and easen the events in the Kingdom management section.
- Pump your Attack Rolls (hit chance) because otherwise you will miss a lot (that's an understatement): High Strength for Melee, High Dexterity for Ranged, Flank your Enemies, use weapons with +1 Enhancements, use +1 30ft Bard Inspire Courage, use +1 30ft Cleric Bless, only use Melee on prone enemies, use correct attack stances, take Point Blank Shot feat and Precise Shot feat for Ranged as soon as possible to mitigate the -4 penalty for shooting enemies that are already fighting in melee, try to prevent all (most) penalties to attack rolls, have good RNG (good luck with that),...

All the rest is absolutely great though.

It's just a bit of hassle to set things up to actually start having fun.
I wish the devs hadn't followed the Pathfinder rules this strict.
It might work as a Pen-and-Paper / Table-Talk Game, but maybe not so much as a Video Game.

• Thanks 1

Currently flipping back and forth between Spider Man: Miles Morales and Ghosts of Tsushima. The latter was one the reasons I was excited to grab a PS5, it hasn't disappointed so far - gorgeous game with an excellent storyline and some strong writing thusfar (though definitely some really odd dialogue portions sometimes - almost feels like two different teams were writing cut-scene and dialogue options sometimes). Loving it. 

Flipped over to No Man's Sky for a few minutes and, man, it's feels like the game that I wished it was when it launched. The Next-Gen touches (frame rate, resolution, density, etc.) really go a long way to making this feel more realized.  

• Burger 1

I tried a little bit of Sundered the other night and really wasn't feeling it. There's no direction to what you're supposed to be doing and the default controls are awkward. The animation and sound design is really good though. Wish it were a better game.

I'm kind of torn on buying a new console or just building a new PC gaming rig.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T3551ER said:

Currently flipping back and forth between Spider Man: Miles Morales and Ghosts of Tsushima. The latter was one the reasons I was excited to grab a PS5, it hasn't disappointed so far - gorgeous game with an excellent storyline and some strong writing thusfar (though definitely some really odd dialogue portions sometimes - almost feels like two different teams were writing cut-scene and dialogue options sometimes). Loving it. 

Flipped over to No Man's Sky for a few minutes and, man, it's feels like the game that I wished it was when it launched. The Next-Gen touches (frame rate, resolution, density, etc.) really go a long way to making this feel more realized.  

I'm enjoying Tsushima too, it looks and feels great on ps5. I have been doing a lot of side missions so I am pretty overpowered now. I have not been in a rush to finish the story, but I think Hitman 3 is out next week...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Enthusiast said:

I'm enjoying Tsushima too, it looks and feels great on ps5. I have been doing a lot of side missions so I am pretty overpowered now. I have not been in a rush to finish the story, but I think Hitman 3 is out next week...

Nice! Yeah, I'm very early on, but sort of plan on just kind of wandering at some point - I mean, the game really is gorgeous. For some reason I get a little of the same feeling I got when playing Shadow of the Colossus... just sort of lost in this other, lovingly rendered world. .. 

• Like 1

The largest Fallout mod ever is about to be released on Steam on the 15th - simply titled The Frontier. Basically a F:NV mega mod that takes place in Portland, OR. With driveable vehicles.

Seven years in development and it's finally about to drop - and free to play. Can't wait.

Edited by ambermonke
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Disney is bringing back LucasArts as Lucasfilm Games, hopefully meaning EA’s exclusive SW license is set to expire:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lucasfilm-games-announced-official-brand-200747783.html

They've already announced a new Indiana Jones game by Machine Games

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2020 at 12:27 AM, Berk said:

Supposed to come with the ps plus games in January. Looks good.

It's just like I said. It looks good. But it's undercooked as hell, like a lot of games really. shame. Discovered the word eurojank when reading reviews of this game. Eurojank lol (Greedfall)

Edited by Berk
  • Like 1

I finished Ghost of Tsushima. Basically 100% except for the silly stuff like the banners. Thought it was gorgeous, but boring story. Good gameplay. I'll clear camps of villains in games all day.

I started Resident Evil 3 remake, and it's pretty cool. More open than I expected considering it's largely outside rather than a mansion.

Edited by onecaseman

Started playing Shovel Knight a couple of days ago. Turns out it's deceptively difficult.

I'll prolly wait til the weekend to jump into Fallout: The Frontier. (Still don't see it available on Steam, but it should be literally any moment now)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Echolalia said:

Using CEMU? What controls are you using Maarten?

Yup Cemu 1.22.4.
Game is Europe v208.
Xbox 360 controller emulating the Wii U GamePad with Xbox One UI Complete GUI mod.
I use my phone as a gyroscope for some puzzles. (MotionSource apk)
Mods / Graphics Packs:
- Camera: Classic FOV
- Enhancements: Clarity Serfrost's Preset (Dim Display), No Depth of Field
- Graphics: Resolution (2560x1440)
- FPS++: Camera Sensitivity (1.4x), Day Length (48 minutes)
- OpenGL Workarounds: Nvidia Explosion Smoke, Nvidia Stretched Clouds, LWZX Crash
Looks and plays better on PC than on WiiU/Switch imo.

Playing a bunch of stuff - trying the "small bites" method (playing many games a little bit at a time):

Jedi: Fallen Order (PS5 patch makes it soo much better)

Ghosts of Tsushima (goddamn Kurosawa movie, innit)

Demon's Souls (beautiful game... best PS5 graphics so far IMO)

Resogun (classic twin-stick shooter)

• Like 3