IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

On 8/20/2019 at 10:53 AM, usagi said:

Blasphemous just looks like Dead Cells with a different art style. I love Dead Cells and the whole Metroidvania concept but it's getting tired.

this was a stupid post. Blasphemous ended up being one of my favourite games from that year. people should stop using the term "metroidvania", it says nothing about what a game has or doesn't have to offer other than that it's a 2-d sidescroller with combat.

speaking of which, Dead Cells just got an update.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, usagi said:

this was a stupid post. Blasphemous ended up being one of my favourite games from that year. people should stop using the term "metroidvania", it says nothing about what a game has or doesn't have to offer other than that it's a 2-d sidescroller with combat.

Yeah the term Metroidvania is kinda dumb.
It expects you to know what kind of gameplay Metroid and Castlevania have.
It's not a very descriptive term.
Some other video game genres have the same problem: Souls-like, Rogue-lite, Doom-clone,...
I haven't seen an alternative term for Metroidvanias yet.
These are what I think are core elements:
• large interconnected dungeon-like/maze-like world
• locked doors/gates/hazards/challenges require certain skills/upgrades
• lots of secret areas with smaller upgrades
• explore at will, exploration is rewarded
• non-linear
• backtracking after getting a big upgrade
• gradual difficulty when only following the main path
• side paths are more difficult but can be used as cool skips
• usually side-scrolling view
• lots of platforming, overcoming them better and better using movement skills/upgrades
• lots of combat, overcoming them better and better using fighting skills/upgrades
• sometimes small puzzles or small challenges to get smaller upgrades
• a simple map
• different environments
• challenging bosses
• character progression
• emphasis more on gameplay, somewhat less on story
• almost any narrative setting is possible
I feel like a descriptive term might be too long.
Exploration-Action-Platform-RPG ?

9 hours ago, usagi said:

Yeah it was like a 200+ MB update I think. I played DC quite a bit on my phone last Sept, then recently bought it on Steam but haven't played on PC yet. Never played Blasphemous though, might buy it later.

it's worth it. smaller games like that with a fixed beginning and end, and the ability to experience the entire game's content without wasting your life away, have been a welcome break from big open world AAA titles like say Skyrim which you could live inside for the rest of your life if you wanted. having said that, I've picked Skyrim back up after years to try and finish the main story which I never did before. such mixed feelings about this game, it's vast, looks pretty even now, and is also super boring and devoid of character (Bethesda summed up).

Fallout: The Frontier...ohh man. Never would have guessed a week ago that it would end up being such a shit storm. People who've played it are saying that it's basically a power fantasy with f-all for a plot. And supposedly the devs cut out the Enclave quest line but kept the questionable fetishes intact, most notably the horny Deathclaw. And just yesterday one of the devs was confirmed to be a pedophile and got removed from the team. All of this after seven years of development...

Cyberpunk was just buggy on launch, but at least CDPR have publicly apologized and are actively patching it to make amends. But this F:NV mega mod is a completely different kind of clusterfuck. But at least it was free right? I still don't see it available on the Steam page, but at this point I don't think it matters.

Anyone got a tip for something story based at the moment? I've been rotating hades, slay the spire, and dead cells, but I've reached 20 heat on hades, ascension 20 on all the StS characters, and dead cells is just too hard for me to get to 2 boss cells. 

Anything divinity original sin like around at the moment?

On 1/29/2021 at 6:43 PM, pcock said:

Anyone got a tip for something story based at the moment? I've been rotating hades, slay the spire, and dead cells, but I've reached 20 heat on hades, ascension 20 on all the StS characters, and dead cells is just too hard for me to get to 2 boss cells. 

Anything divinity original sin like around at the moment?

Ghosts of Tsushima, Control...

Started Jedi Fallen Order, and it's all right so far. Not as polished as Titanfall 2.

EDIT: Stopped playing it. Very unpolished controls. I think I'll finally get around to trying The Forest.

On 1/30/2021 at 1:45 AM, usagi said:

Transistor? another Supergiant title, the team behind Hades.

This is a good shout, I've actually had it on my steam for years, I forgot it was by supergiant. 

58 minutes ago, pcock said:

This is a good shout, I've actually had it on my steam for years, I forgot it was by supergiant. 

I've only played Transistor and on the strength of that I went and bought all of Supergiant's stuff on Steam. quality studio imo. I want to get round to Hades soon, as well as Into the Breach which has also been sitting in my library for ages and which @Blir reminded me I should play.

Hades is fantastic. Buttery, satisfying combat, challenging but balanced, great story progression, and scales with you difficulty wise. Best Roguelite since binding of Isaac.

• Like 2

@usagiI really enjoyed Into The Breach, but once I finished it it got old very quickly. And I finished it in 3 or so hours.

Since I'm making a paper'n'pen puzzle game, I got heavily into puzzle games.

I already played the excellent Hexcells series that was recommended in this very thread - I replayed it recently.

But I also got into the hard stuff:

Baba Is You - an excellent rules-breaking puzzle game. It sometimes feels a bit contrived, but this is also the source of its charm.

A Monster's Expedition - such a beautiful head-scratching game. I haven't played it much yet but it's already really hard. The music and presentation keep you calm and invested though.

Stephen's Sausage Roll - damn, this game is trippy. The theme and the visual presentation are HORRIBLE. But at the same time, it kind of all comes together. It could be my favorite out of these three. It could actually be one of the best designed games I have ever played - the puzzles are mega hard, with no space for error, but they are also sooo clever and mechanically simple.

I also enjoyed Plug & Play, a short 10-minute interactive peace about... erm, sex? Electricity? 2,99$ on Steam. https://plugplay.ch/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, markedone said:

Amanita design's Creaks is on sale today and tomorrow only.  Good excuse as ive been meaning to pick it up.  Love everything they do

https://store.steampowered.com/app/956030/Creaks/

Thanks for the heads up man, Machinarium is a masterpiece thanks also to Tomas Dvorak's soundtrack

Edited by Berk