IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Creaks is probably my favorite Amanita game. The platforming aspect works great with the gameplay.

BTW, their upcoming Happy Game (which is the first horror/gore game by them) has a demo up on Steam.

Picked up my oculus quest headset and purchased and played through quite a few titles. I don’t consistently game but when I do I really get into it. The quest is pretty low-powered compared to PSVR but despite the gap in graphics and even AAA experiences the trade off for being completely tetherless is totally worth it.

Lies Beneath- Loved this, the graphic novel style animation survival horror type world it throws you into is incredible. One of my favorite gaming experiences ever alongside Astrobot and RE7VR.

Trover Saves the Universe- Stupid fun platformer from one of the Rick and Morty dudes. That show is hit and miss for me but I found this to have some genuinely funny moments and is the most self-aware and self-critical VR game ever. LOLd pretty hard when I realized a couple of the “puzzles” in the game were impossible to complete ( no spoilers but there’s a middle fingered way around this).

Fisherman’s Tale- Got this on sale and while I am not huge on puzzle games this one was really cool and surreal without being overly aggravating at points with the exception of one stage in the game involving a matchstick.

FitXR- Boxing rhythm game with options that can range from low to high intensity and from 3 to 20 min in length. This is actually an excellent work out. I do the 15 to 20 minute sessions that have you throwing jabs, crosses, hooks, uppercuts and also have you throwing up your guard, ducking, weaving, and switching between orthodox and southpaw stances for a balanced workout. This will not teach proper form or anything but it’s actually damn good cardio and will keep your reaction timing sharp. I just wish there were hooks to the body and an expert level with faster combos, dodging, blocking, etc.

Thrill of the Fight- THIS SHIT RIGHT HERE? THIS will give you a LEGIT workout. I can confirm and have had others do the same. It’s a boxing game where you fight virtual opponents and even if you have good conditioning this game will exhaust you.  If it’s your first time playing it and you really go after it you will likely be sore for at least two days afterwards. Beat it a few times through but am currently trying to get through it on the “outclassed” difficulty setting and am getting KO’d on the reg. So cool to actually study the opponent, look for openings, see what kind of punches cause them to drop their guard, and then get countered anyways when you try to land full force up top ?. I think it was only like $10 or $15 or something.

Puzzling Places- With this new AppLab thing you can download select games that haven’t passed Oculus’ stringent standards in order to be a part of the officially curated store which includes free, paid and early access to titles. I’ve known of side quest for a while now but never sideloaded anything to my quest yet. This makes it much easier with the caveat being certain games won’t get approved for AppLab even (like Doom 3 for instance). 
anyways, this is free and awesome. It’s a huge, 3D jigsaw puzzle of some monastery on a cliff side that took me about 2 hours to put together but was satisfying as hell. If they put out a full game I’ll buy it no doubt.

Synthriders- super fun rhythm music game like Beatsaber with a good online multiplayer community. 

Walkabout Golf- Oddly, this is one of my favorite games ever. Mini golf. Might sound lame but it’s phenomenal. Great levels that require some serious skill, ultra reliable in game physics, and a really cool way to get together with people and chat while having fun. So good. Like Thrill of the Fight it’s only $15 or something. 

Battlescars- A 30 minute indie film project thingy that shows how much VR is going to change and facilitate storytelling in ways the classic mediums just can’t. This is a weird story about a couple of girls in the 70’s Punk rock scene in the drug-addled streets of NYC. Rosario Dawson voices the lead and while it is short, and not the greatest short film I’ve ever seen it was still really cool. A bit pricey at $5 but a lot of work went into animating this you can tell. Overall an enjoyable, and somewhat groundbreaking experience that I am very much cool with supporting.

Population One- Basically fort nite vr. Really big online community. It’s fun, but dude I suck at these massive online FPS games. One surprising thing though is that after I get taken out, which I often do, spectator mode is incredible. It’s like having a full city scaled to action figures and watching warring factions of GI Joes strategize and take each other out, scaling buildings, jet pack gliding down off of massive structures while taking cover and shooting it out. Almost as fun to watch as play.

Alright, I need to STFU apparently. /rant.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Enthusiast said:

Control on PS5. Played through the campaign and one of the DLCs, onto the Alan Wake stuff now. I played it on PS4 but dropped off it. Feels great in 60fps.

I played Control for most of September but then abruptly stopped. That Alan Wake stuff I think is where I left off, if it's the closed-off department inside the Oldest House I'm thinking of.

Just reset my Fallout: New Vegas playthrough last night because I wasn't satisfied with how my Mr. House playthrough was going. So I think I'll go for the NCR ending again instead. It's far more compatible with a majority of the side quests, companions, DLCs, and other content.

Just now, Boxus said:

Manifold Garden is very cool so far and extremely IDM

I bought it recently but haven't tried it yet. Looked cool judging by the footage.

Nier Automata looks intriguing too.

On 2/4/2021 at 12:45 PM, Dpek said:

Creaks is probably my favorite Amanita game. The platforming aspect works great with the gameplay.

BTW, their upcoming Happy Game (which is the first horror/gore game by them) has a demo up on Steam.

I'm absolutely loving Creaks (im somewhere beyond ~half-way i believe).  As you say the gameplay is totally different than their other games, and they really nailed it imo.  Solid puzzle design, plus the charm, art, music that draws me to all of their games.

Edited by markedone

friend of mine bought all dark souls games on PS4 so we're playing through DS1 remastered together ? started NG+ on bloodborne after the secret ending as well, still one of the best things I've ever played

• Like 1

outward-081418-4.jpg

Trying out Outward in Couch Co-Op / Split-Screen.
It's an Open-World Survival-Craft RPG.
It's fun to go out exploring the world with 2. However, there are very few quests, there's not much story, the world is somewhat empty and the combat mostly comes down to who can deplete the stamina of their opponent fastest.
In a way you've got to make you're own fun in this game, playing together, role-playing a bit.
Oh yeah, you must be able to read maps. (there's no icon indicating your own position on the map)
I'd say, try it out when it's on a deep sale.

Edited by MaartenVC

Fellow dads: Bowser’s Fury is super fun to play with your kids. Multiplayer is ideal for playing with someone less skilled and the “open world” is a really neat mash-up of level based Mario and free range exploration.

Edited by Extralife

Been playing Control, it's pretty cool, although a bit repetitive/grindy, maybe I just suck at it. 

Played call of the sea, it's all right I guess, perfect game pass game, not sure if I'd buy it to play it. Probably not. It's a bit underwhelming tbh.

Loving a plague tale.

Really digging carrion.

Having fun with Dishonored 2.

Game pass is spoiling me, I'll probably never do anything creative ever again. Thanks, Microsoft

Just now, Silent Member said:

Been playing Control, it's pretty cool, although a bit repetitive/grindy, maybe I just suck at it. 

I spent most of September playing it but never finished it. It's definitely reflex-intensive, since it's not uncommon to get killed by some enemies in one or two hits.

Still on Fallout: New Vegas, approaching the end of Dead Money DLC. I think it's safe to say that this game as officially attained cult status, not unlike Deus Ex and S.T.A.L.K.E.R..

And I purchased Hot Dogs, Horseshoes, & Hand Grenades for later. Supposed to be a pretty fun VR sandbox.

32 minutes ago, Silent Member said:

Not really clicking with me that one. I have been spending too much time in offices in my life already I guess lol. /traumatized

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Man, I loved Control. It's kind of a mashup of my favorite type of spooky fiction stuff though - SCP and X-Files and such. 

I read earlier today that the System Shock 2 Enhanced Edition (no idea when it's supposed to be released) is likely to have full VR support. :w00t:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Think Control starts to open up a bit in the later stages, particularly as you start to level up. Look forward to revisiting on the PS5 but limited time. 

Still on Ghosts of Tsushima which I only mention because god I love this game. I can't remember the last time I just stopped following main quests to search out the side quests just because I was enjoying the game so much. I also can't remember the last time I legit just stopped trying to do anything and kind of just stared at the screen in awe of the visuals. The art design for this one is out of this world, just a gorgeous looking game, particularly on PS5. 

Just opened up the Second Act and the jump in AI difficulty surprised me. Forced me to act more strategically. Then I went back to some earlier areas and just slaughtered a bunch of Mongols with highly unnecessary over use of the 3 enemy quick kill ability just because. It's amazing.  

• Like 1

Yeah, that's the stuff I really love about it (the lore/story/weird stuff), enemies spawning behind me to do a one two kill not so much. My grinding has negated that to some degree, but the random grinding missions where you fight waves of enemies in locations you've already been to one time too many aren't all that interesting.

Edited by Silent Member

1 hour ago, luke viia said:

Man, I loved Control. It's kind of a mashup of my favorite type of spooky fiction stuff though - SCP and X-Files and such. 

I read earlier today that the System Shock 2 Enhanced Edition (no idea when it's supposed to be released) is likely to have full VR support. :w00t:

Sshock 2 in VR would be wild. I wonder how they'll incorporate inventory management into VR though, because it can be a rat's nest.

38 minutes ago, Braintree said:

I think I dislike DOOM Eternal the further I get into it.

Doom Eternal is overrated IMO. The irony is that it was the main reason I bought a desktop nearly a year ago. Sure it's more challenging than Doom 2016, but at the sacrifice of a coherent story and steady game progression. It's mainly a game to show off one's taurine-enhanced reflex skills on Twitch more than anything.

5 hours ago, ambermonke said:

Sshock 2 in VR would be wild. I wonder how they'll incorporate inventory management into VR though, because it can be a rat's nest.

Doom Eternal is overrated IMO. The irony is that it was the main reason I bought a desktop nearly a year ago. Sure it's more challenging than Doom 2016, but at the sacrifice of a coherent story and steady game progression. It's mainly a game to show off one's taurine-enhanced reflex skills on Twitch more than anything.

I'm playing it on xbox and some battles are almost unmanageable. My controller is also kicking the bucket, so that's part of it. There have been several times where I thought it would have been far easier if I were playing on a PC.

The weapon leveling system and the weapon system itself is pretty lopsided. The super shotgun and the rocket launcher shouldn't be comparable at all. I'm watching this guy play through the game (just to see how hard a time other people have had it) and he sometimes kills shit way faster when I'm doing the exact same shit.

The fact that the BFG doesn't kill a marauder is fucking dumb and makes me just want to change the difficulty to easy and play like I'm a god. Just to get it over with. I'm bored with it now.

• Like 1