What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

who needs janky AAA titles when there's such a wealth of great indie games out there.

this year has been all about detective/mystery games for me, playing Return of the Obra Dinn, Outer Wilds, Disco Elysium, Paradise Killer.. all amazing games with deduction and worldbuilding so cleverly blended into the gameplay.

• Like 2
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rubin Farr

• Joyrex

• Squee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Paid tribute to some of the featured artists in my Animal Crossing home

The creator of the "Konami code" has passed away ?  

Obsessed with Wipeout, not played it for almost 20 years.  

Posted Images

Finally managed to get a digital PS5 at retail cost, so back goes the Costco bundle and 680 bucks back in my pocket...

Also playing The Messenger - great little indy game! Good sense of humour too.

I beat Luigi's Mansion 3 on the Switch. Going to start Ghost of Tsushima when I get back from Christmas family visiting. Got a few more games to beat before I need to worry about PS5 availability.

8 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Finally managed to get a digital PS5 at retail cost, so back goes the Costco bundle and 680 bucks back in my pocket...

Also playing The Messenger - great little indy game! Good sense of humour too.

Any particular reason you're not into the one with the disc drive? I don't think they charge any less for digital versions of the game, why wouldn't you want to have the physical copies when they end support etc for digis?

On 12/24/2020 at 12:19 AM, Hugh Mughnus said:

Any particular reason you're not into the one with the disc drive? I don't think they charge any less for digital versions of the game, why wouldn't you want to have the physical copies when they end support etc for digis?

For me, it's just convenience - I haven't bought a disc version of a game in some time, and I really don't see that changing. Plus, unless I really want a game right now, I usually wait for digital games to go on sale (for example, i got Ghosts of Tsushima when it was on sale on PSN for 39.99, which I feel is a fair price for a AAA game like that.

Plus, I think Sony's shown they will support several generations of games before they phase them out, and it's all going to go digital eventually anyway - how often do people buy (or even can buy) a physical version of a PC game these days?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Joyrex said:

For me, it's just convenience - I haven't bought a disc version of a game in some time, and I really don't see that changing. Plus, unless I really want a game right now, I usually wait for digital games to go on sale (for example, i got Ghosts of Tsushima when it was on sale on PSN for 39.99, which I feel is a fair price for a AAA game like that.

Plus, I think Sony's shown they will support several generations of games before they phase them out, and it's all going to go digital eventually anyway - how often do people buy (or even can buy) a physical version of a PC game these days?

All very good points, yeah! I'm kind of weird, for consoles I really like to have a physical version of the game, but for PC you're absolutely right I only buy digis these days. Maybe I should look at the new consoles more like Steam, where I can always download the games in the future if I have my PSN/PS+ account. 😃

Merry Christmas btw, cheers from Canadialand. : )

Anyone here playing Super Meat Boy Forever ? I wasn't expecting anything from that game, thought I'd be disappointed but it's really well made and has the most clever level design I've experienced in a platformer since Celeste. I will definitely sink some hours in this one lol.

1 hour ago, Stock said:

Anyone here playing Super Meat Boy Forever ? I wasn't expecting anything from that game, thought I'd be disappointed but it's really well made and has the most clever level design I've experienced in a platformer since Celeste. I will definitely sink some hours in this one lol.

I'll have to check it out. I really liked Celeste...

Just started DOOM: Eternal and enjoying it so far, but there are some small things that are off about it compared to 2016. So far, it feels like the other game did a better job of immersing you in the environment.

Really liked that chanting satanic music at the end of the first level.

11 hours ago, Braintree said:

Just started DOOM: Eternal and enjoying it so far, but there are some small things that are off about it compared to 2016. So far, it feels like the other game did a better job of immersing you in the environment.

Oh man, Doom Eternal had everything going for it, but in my opinion they ruined a fantastically simple game that required plenty of skill with way too many features and upgrade systems. It's everything and a kitchen sink. Also, the game seems a bit tone deaf and doesn't seem to realise what made the first game so much fun. In the first game it starts out with you in a sarcophagus and that is so god damn cool and absolutely ridiculous. It makes you wonder who Doom Guy is - and they leave it at that. They never give you any answers. In Doom Eternal they give you way too many answers to questions you don't want definitive answers to and the humor verges on being almost as dumb as the humor in Duke Nukem Forever.

I also have issues with the platforming puzzles, but I'm sure those play out way better on a PC.

The music though is - as always - fucking amazing.

• Like 3

Currently busting down camps in Ghost of Tsushima. I am terrible at the sword fighting, but good at the stealth. 

As for discs, I still buy physical when I can so I can trade in when I am done. It makes things a lot more affordable.

10 hours ago, Braintree said:

They definitely upped the challenge, but the story elements feel off to me. It's like the series went from Aliens/Metroid to some Marvel superhero flick. I guess it's to appease all the Chad wannabes.

Might play Eternal again on Ultra Violence later next year, but I can't help but feel that something was lost in the transition between games.

• Like 1
On 12/29/2020 at 7:50 AM, ambermonke said:

I see there's a Steam sale for Death Stranding. Any good I wonder?

Haven't played it, but people seem to enjoy it more on PC now than on PS4 at release.
It's a mix of a stealthy walking simulator and an intriguing cinematic story. Almost no action.
I remember the game being criticised a lot and even ridiculed a bit at release.
However, most surprisingly, it now has a lot of positive Steam user reviews.
Many user reviews call it a masterpiece now.

Edited by MaartenVC
  • Thanks 1
On 12/29/2020 at 12:50 AM, ambermonke said:

I see there's a Steam sale for Death Stranding. Any good I wonder?

2 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

Haven't played it, but people seem to enjoy it more on PC now than on PS4 at release.
It's a mix of a stealthy walking simulator and an intriguing cinematic story. Almost no action.
I remember the game being criticised a lot and even ridiculed a bit at release.
However, most surprisingly, it now has a lot of positive Steam user reviews.
Many user reviews call it a masterpiece now.

Amazon is using it for training new drivers and delivery persons :dadjoke:

• Burger 1
1 hour ago, Joyrex said:

Amazon is using it for training new drivers and delivery persons :dadjoke:

Something tells me Norman Reedus' salary in Death Stranding is better than what Amazon offers their drivers.

On 12/29/2020 at 2:53 AM, Squee said:

Oh man, Doom Eternal had everything going for it, but in my opinion they ruined a fantastically simple game that required plenty of skill with way too many features and upgrade systems. It's everything and a kitchen sink. Also, the game seems a bit tone deaf and doesn't seem to realise what made the first game so much fun. In the first game it starts out with you in a sarcophagus and that is so god damn cool and absolutely ridiculous. It makes you wonder who Doom Guy is - and they leave it at that. They never give you any answers. In Doom Eternal they give you way too many answers to questions you don't want definitive answers to and the humor verges on being almost as dumb as the humor in Duke Nukem Forever.

I also have issues with the platforming puzzles, but I'm sure those play out way better on a PC.

The music though is - as always - fucking amazing.

I think I got a bit of information overload trying to play it last night. Another thing is just the basic controls. I'm playing on xbox and it feels a lot different from 2016. It obviously plays a lot better on PC, though.

On 12/29/2020 at 11:25 AM, ambermonke said:

They definitely upped the challenge, but the story elements feel off to me. It's like the series went from Aliens/Metroid to some Marvel superhero flick. I guess it's to appease all the Chad wannabes.

Might play Eternal again on Ultra Violence later next year, but I can't help but feel that something was lost in the transition between games.

Yeah, I never really cared too much about the story. I just need to know the guy is a badass and demon destroyer. I actually liked reading/listening about the lore of the universe in the first game, but it was also written from two perspectives; UAC and the demons. In Eternal, it isn't explicit what perspective is taken when I read one of those codex entries, so it's kind of confusing.